“Lacklustre”
Review of Buckley Arms Hotel

Buckley Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dinas Mawddwy
Reviewed 22 September 2009

I stayed here with my new husband on the first night of our honeymoon until our cottage nearby was ready, so only 1 night. On arrival the hotel looked closed. No doors or windows open, and I honestly thought the place was shut. We rang the bell and after a time a man came and let us in and said he hoped we a booking. We said yes, and he showed us to our room. He told us our room key also operated the front door (a Yale lock), so I wondered to my husband if all the room keys opened the same lock on the front door, would all the keys open all the rooms? I didn't really think that was great security. The room was very large, and the bed comfortable with a lovely view of the hillside opposite. The bathroom was quite big also, with a seperate shower and bath. The owners were friendly enough but I found the way the man paced up and down the bar whilst we were eating somewhat uncomfortable.
Although some of the rooms were ok, I found mostly the hotel to be very tired, and worn out, and nothing that a lick of paint and a new carpet wouldn't fix. The food was mediocre, and I never like to hear the sound of a microwave pinging from the kitchen of somewhere I am eating, which is frequently what I heard. A different room for breakfast in the morning, which was fine apart from the big stack of tables and chairs in the corner. Breakfast itself was good. All in all, I was somewhat disappointed after having read different reviews.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 September 2009

Stayed at the Buckley Pines for a weekend trip with a larger group of friends after being recomended to it by our Welsh host for the trip. Some of us stayed in the hotel while the rest camped down the road. Excellent room - comfortable beds, hugely spacious and clean bathroom, tea and coffee facilities too. Breakfast was spot on, all nicely done.

Paid half the room by card over the 'phone as a deposit, other half settled on departure. All seemed well.

However, shortly after returning home received a letter detailing my card had been charged a substantial amount for damages relating to soiled linen. This smacks of incredibly poor etiquette for several reasons. Primarily, there was no marks whatsoever left on any of the linen. Not only this, but the amount charged was extortionate even if the entire set of sheets and towls had been replaced. Add to that the fact the hotel did not state anywhere that credit card details are retained for future stings and it all seems very underhand.

As a result, I'd not recomend this hotel to anyone on point of principal. If you do stay there, PAY CASH, and pay the deposit by cheque.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
6  Thank DisgustedMcdroitwich
Reviewed 10 August 2009

My wife and I stayed at Buckley Pines for a weekend break on our wedding anniversary. Having travelled quite a bit with work, I can honestly say this is the best small hotel I have ever stayed in. We stayed in a very comfortable room with an enormous bathroom and spectacular views. We only ate breakfast in the hotel, but in keeping with the rest of our stay, it was delicious.

To top it all, the owners Keith and Gay were genuinely friendly. From showing us the best places to walk, to making sure we had water to take with us, to arranging fresh flowers for our room, they just couldn't be more helpful.

I had grown used to soulless hotels with indifferent staff, but Buckley Pines is what a small country hotel should be like. Stay here.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TripMember05062015
Reviewed 24 August 2008

Stayed for 3 days at this hotel and found it to be a very friendly comfortable place to stay.We stayed in the Sir Edmund Buckley room which a terrific view of the mountains.The room was very well furnished with the biggest Bathroom we have ever had.The owners were very friendly and we used to have a drink in the bar with them in the evening.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed 4 July 2008

We needed a place to stay as we transitioned from Cricieth (via LLanberis Pass) to Cardigan and I settled on this hotel on the basis of its midpoint location, informative website, and pleasant communication with the owners. What a shame we were only passing through!

An outstanding property with great character on the A470, about midway between Dolgellau and Machynlleth in Dinas Mawddwy. The period furnishings and decor are richly provided, the room (we had the Snowden) was huge and comfortable, and there was nothing dated about the very modern toilet and shower/bath. Great views of the rhododendron covered hill sides out the expansive bay windows.

Delicious food prepared by the owner/chef and great conversation with the owner/barman in the extremely appealing pub on site. This is a thoroughly committed family-run enterprise, and their pride of ownership is very evident.

Unfortunately, after only a single night we had to be on our way after a well prepared breakfast in the bright and airy dining room, but I certainly would recommend this hotel as a base for anyone spending some time in the scenic Dyfi Forest region, or coming across the Bwlch y Groes Pass.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank NJXJ
Reviewed 22 May 2008

My mother and I booked one night at this hotel on route for a trip to Portmeirion. We had booked a superior room, Dyfi, at the back of the hotel with a fabulous view over the valley and mountains.

We sat in solitary splendour in a very extensive residents' lounge for a pre-dinner drink, but quickly moved into the bar and bistro to eat. The food was excellent and thoroughly enjoyed by us both, the hot chocolate pudding and the bread and butter pudding being to die for!

After a good night's sleep we enjoyed a full Welsh breakfast in the main restaurant which overlooks the valley.

Keith, Gay and daughter Kellie were most welcoming and friendly, so much so, that after one disastrous night in Porthmadog, we cancelled our second night and returned to Buckley Pines, and spent a second very comfortable night.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Dolgellau
Lake View
Lake View
#6 of 7 in Llanberis

Been to Buckley Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!