“Would be beautiful in summer”

Hallmark Hotel Llyndir Hall, Chester South
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rossett
Rhyl, Denbighshire
“Would be beautiful in summer”
Reviewed 26 January 2008

I recently spent 1 night at this hotel with my boyfriend. It was easy enough to find with directions (or sat nav!).

My first impresisons of the hotel were good, the grounds were lovely with 3 sheep on the grass as you go in - they were only ornaments but I thought they were real until they didnt move! There were also other brilliant ornaments around the grounds and although just outside Wrexham, it was in the middle of countryside and very peaceful. The weather wasnt that good but if it had of been summer, the grounds would have been lovely.

On entering the main door, there were some interesting pieces of furniture and ornaments, items like this were all over the hotel. There was a very small reception area but the receptionist was very friendly and helpful. I did not need to ask about anything as I was furnished with all the information i needed for my stay.

The main restaurant was closed that night, it was a Sunday but I was informed bar meals were available. We had already planned to take a drive into Chester and eat there so that wasnt a problem for me.

The room was of a great size, we paid £10 extra for the executive room, it had a large bed and views of green out of the window. There was a large tv with 12 channels on it, bath with lovely powerful shower, overall the room was spacious.

Went to the leisure club, the receptionist there was helpful, you need £1 for the locker and towels were available at the club. The pool wasnt as big as it looked on the photos i had seen but was enough for what i wanted. There was a sauna which was nice and a jacuzzi - we didnt realise for a while that you had to ask the receptionist to switch it on, once it was on it was lovely but there was a hose pipe coming through the pool into the jacuzzi with hot water coming from it, i found this a little strange.

Breakfast in the morning was delicious, the hotel was quite quiet as it was a Monday morning, but there was still plenty of food for us and all fresh and tasty. Lovely big sausauges, bacon, beans, scrambled egg, cereal, fruit, gosh loads to eat!!

It is 6 miles out of Wrexham town centre and 6 miles from Chester town centre, spent evening in Chester and Monday daytime shopping in Wrexham.

What a lovely stay.

• Liked — Grounds & Room
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MinnieMouse83

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Cheshire
Reviewed 3 January 2008

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for our wedding anniversary between Christmas and New Year.

The hotel is in the countryside although only a short drive from Chester. Externally the hotel is impressive but we had problems whilst
checking in - the receptionist informing us that there was only a lounge menu available that night. The menu consisted of fish and chips, sausage and mash etc; fine, but having booked a country hotel for a special occasion one doesn't really want Holiday Inn food. The receptionist then offered us details of nearby pubs, with "carvery" a term I dread, mentioned on at least one. The duty manager then stepped
in and following a word with chef we were offered a choice from the menu which was being introduced the following day; if we pre-ordered. The problem was solved. Why an establishment such as this would just want to offer "lounge" food is beyond me, especially as the food we actually ordered was considerably more expensive - hotels normally try
to increase your spending, not reduce the menu so you spend less!

We booked an executive room which are in the original part of the hotel. Room was well furnished and spacious with an elaborate wooden bed, large gilt mirror, CD/digital radio and flat screen tv - although
the remote didn't work. Bathroom was not what I would call
"executive" with blackened bath sealant around the shower end of the bath; everything functional though.

We didn't use the gym but it looked fine. The pool area though looks dated and I would hope would be renovated and extended in the foreseeable future - their nearest competitor The Grosvenor Pulford has just spent big money on leisure facilities which will probably put
Llyndir's to shame. There was a pool, jacuzzi and sauna. Jacuzzi was heated with a hosepipe feeding hot water from the plant room with the hose draped down the side and down across the bottom of the pool! The facilities are fairly small but as it wasn't too crowded this wasn't a
problem.

There are a number of lounges and the bar which were well decorated and pleasant; furnishings are quite grand. The restaurant leads on from the bar and is modern whilst fitting in with the charm and style of the building. Wine list starts from around £16, but there are wines
by the glass. Whilst pre ordering your evening meal takes a bit of the
occasion out of the evening, the food we got was excellent - starters of duck and scallops and mains of pork and steak. Service was excellent throughout, including a complimentary glass of Moet & Chandon to compensate for the menu problems. This was also offered to at least one other couple and was a very nice gesture.

Breakfast is also in the restaurant. It is buffet style with the buffet itself in an adjoining conservatory style room. A good selection of food ranging from cheeses, croissants, fruit, yoghurts to the standards of cereals and English (Welsh) breakfast. The hot buffet did not look like it had been cooked at 5am and left to sizzle to a cinder, and fried and poached eggs were cooked to order. Service was fine. The only negative I would have is that the fruit salad had clearly been bulked out with the tinned stuff popular in the 1970s - Day-Glo red cherries being the most obvious evidence.

I paid a rate of £59 B&B through Late Rooms which represented good value for money. Whilst the bill becomes rapidly inflated with drinks and meals (unless you do actually dine from the lounge menu!) if I could get a rate like this again I would gladly return.

• Liked — well furnished room and ambience of public areas
  • Disliked — Initially restrictive menu
1 Thank Neville-the-cat
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2008

We very much enjoyed the 2 nights we spent at Llyndir Hall in between Christmas and New Year. We paid less than £70 per night for Bed and Breakfast which given the overall quality of the hotel I thought was excellent value. I've paid more than this to stay at Travelodge / Premier Inn type establishments in the past.

We had an executive room, which was very spacious, the bed in particular was impressive, being very large and very comfortable. We thought the inclusion of a DAB/FM/CD mini-system in the room was a nice touch and listened to this more than we watched the TV. One small
niggle was that there were less TV channels than the hotel guide claimed - though there is free "Adult Channel" for those that like that kind of thing!

Throughout our stay we were particularly impressed with the staff. All were friendly, smiling and helpful. Emily and Paul in particular stood out.

We weren't in the frame of mind to use the gym but it seemed to be well-equipped. Based on the size of the gym I would guess the small pool could sometimes get quite busy. We had it to ourselves on the Sunday morning, and also enjoyed the sauna and jacuzzi.

Some earlier reviewers have commented on the price of the food. It isn't particularly cheap, however I would say that you get what you pay for and with good quality, locally-sourced ingredients, cooked to perfection in a classy, unpretentious style, I didn't feel I had been ripped off. On the second night we decided to take a walk into Rossett village, where we also ate very well at the Alyn. One small food related niggle is that the plates at breakfast were cold - the addition of a plate warmer would be welcome.

A final note on the location - it really lends itself to such a variety of potential guests. The city of Chester is literally just a few minutes away, while if you are looking for bigger city action, Liverpool or Manchester are less than an hours drive. Despite being so close to Chester the hotel has a very picturesque, rural location, just a few minutes walk from Rossett, which has several eating and drinking options. Drive west and the whole of North Wales is there to be discovered.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — cold plates at breakfast
Cheshire
Reviewed 24 December 2007

Stayed in Llyndir for one night, surroundings of hotel are lovely, inside hotel is lovely. Staff very efficient, got to our room, £58 for an executive room, bed & breakfast which I thought was extremely good value. Room was lovely, furniture beautiful, breakfast next morning was great, buffet style of cereals, breads, full english, very impressed indeeed.
The let down I felt for this hotel was the restaurant food, very expensive for what it is, I had vegetarian pasta with brocolli, £14, not impressed, could have made it myself for a fraction of the price, so a 2 course meal for 2 of us with 1 bottle of wine cost £60, more than what the stay cost!!!!!!!! I would definately stay again, I just wouldnt have my evening meal there. Also, you can have breakfast in your room but be careful, they charge £6 a person just to bring it to your room. I feel that, with this hotel, you can stay for a really good price but then they make their money in other ways like price in restaurant, wine prices & hidden extras like breakfast in your room, just be careful!

• Liked — Room and surroundings were lovely.
  • Disliked — Price & quality of restaurant food
telford
Reviewed 5 December 2007

Lovely hotel in country location.... about 10 minute drive from Chester centre.

Stayed here on friday night. Pretty grounds, friendly staff.

Got a good deal through lastminute's website, paid an extra £10 for an executive room, which was meant to be a bigger room, and designer toiletries.... toiletries were pretty average to be honest!!! soap, showergel, moisturising cream which was half empty! However, thats not important.... the location was fab for what we wanted... close to chester...

Hotel restaurant looked lovely, especially with christmas decorations. Average cost for main meal was about £20, not too bad for hotel prices... menu did look lovely.

However, we ate at a local country pub in the centre of Rosset, 3 minutes down the road... called the golden lion. Here i ate the nicest steak in my life..... melted in the mouth!! mmmm! would deffinately reccommend!

Breakfast was included... choice of cereal, cooked breakfast, and small choice of fruit. Very nice.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — paying £10 to upgrade for not so designer toiletries!!
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
chester
Reviewed 4 December 2007

Although I did not stay at this hotel I recently went to a staff party there. The staff did everything they could to make sure we enjoyed ourselves. The hotel is beautiful and we all felt very special being served our canapes and bucks fizz. The food was fantastic - roast potatoes to die for and to say they catered for so many the spread was magnificent, hot and varied. If I did not live in Chester I would definitely stay there as they truely went above and beyond the call of duty. Well done and thankyou

• Liked — the way they exceeded our expectations right till the last minute of the evening drew to a close
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
Yorkshire
Reviewed 1 December 2007

I stayed at the hotel as a break for myself and my partner for his birthday. I was recommended the hotel by a friend who had previously stayed there and I was not disappointed. The hotel is close to both Wrexham and Chester which offer lots of things to do. Our room was large and spotlessly clean. The restaurant is fabulous and the duck main course is to die for!! They obviously have some very talanted chefs. When we checked in we were greeted with a big smile and a warm welcome from a young blonde girl. (I think her name was Emily) She was lovely and remained helpful throughout our stay. All in all we had a lovely time and are just looking for an excuse to return.

• Liked — the girl on reception
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rossett
Rossett Hall Hotel
Rossett Hall Hotel
#2 of 2 in Rossett
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Hallmark Hotel The Queen, Chester
Ramada Plaza Wrexham
Ramada Plaza Wrexham
#3 of 10 in Wrexham
Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Holt Lodge Hotel
Holt Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in Holt

Been to Hallmark Hotel Llyndir Hall, Chester South? Share your experiences!