“Best in the district”

Price range: US$33 - US$99
Cuisines: British, Welsh
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Serving modern food in a modern relaxed environment.
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Very enjoyable meal last night, we all agreed this is a very well run business. Menus well thought out, there is ample choice without being over complicated. The food was very well sourced, portion size was spot on, cooked to perfection. Service was impeccable, efficient, friendly and not intrusive. I really cannot think of a single fault, even the cost, though not the cheapest around was we all agreed well worth it. We have spent more in the past, say in nearby Chester restaurants, and felt a little "ripped off". Not so last night! Well done, you have an excellent team!!

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We used to love Churtons for great food even though the service was a little quirky! However re - born as the Machine House it is so much better. Great local produce, interesting choices and presented really well.
We will most definitely be back.

1  Thank graeme C
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Having enjoyed the exciting delights of Machine Houses' new Taster Menu last night, we would like to highly recommend the menu to others and congratulate Adam the chef. What a treat.. the highlights for our table were the lobster gnocchi and the chocolate orange pudding. Everything was beautifully presented with exciting flourishes like the smoking salmon and melting chocolate orange (plus some very surprising eggs!).
As usual a warm and friendly welcome and despite being busy, attentive service from Patrick and all the team. A great evening, thanks guys!

1  Thank GTD_10
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I do wonder how some people can rate this place "poor" or "terrible" ....really?

I had driven 330 miles, intended to go to another place to eat (Griffin) but the Tripadvisor map messed up, I also had someone cancel a meeting on me last minute - so you can guess I wasn't in the best of moods.

Then I discover the Machine House - (a short stroll from the Rossett Hall Hotel) and my mood changes.

I hadn't made a reservation, just strolled in, asked the beautiful waitress if a table was available, and if they accepted credit card - she said yes!

I ordered a beer - Snowdonia Ale was recommended, and it was a good recommendation too.

The waitress took me upstairs to be seated, and took my order.

I am not a fish fan, but went for the muscles and tomato soup starter - it truly was excellent, I regret not going for the Crab special, but instead went for the chicken herbs and rice dish, which was really nice.

I would say the chef of this establishment deserve a stint on master chef, for taste, presentation and general speed of bringing the dishes to the table.

Desert wise, I made a mistake....my shortlist was either Affogado or Raspberry Eaton mess - should have gone for Affogado.

So whilst there's a few fish dishes available here, don't let that put you off if your not a fish fan.

Its all local produce, event the bill tray is made out of local wood, from a local supplier - there's real attention to detail in this place, and I feel its worthy of 5/5.

Tips:
Try the fish dishes.
Log on to the wireless network because there's not much mobile signal inside due to the thick stone walls.
Book - especially if your taking a friend, colleague or partner, this place should not be enjoyed alone.

3  Thank Wheresmychips
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

This was the second visit, but first on a Saturday evening. The restaurant was buzzing. Staff friendly,as we had a drink at the bar,whilst perusing the menu. Shown to a lovely table upstairs,and the starters arrived. Food was gorgeous -the mussels as a main were to die for !! Overall, the place hits the spot- great food, great service,lovely atmosphere!! Worth a visit!!

1  Thank Silversufer