“Lovely place but WAY over-priced”
Review of The Golden Groves - CLOSED

The Golden Groves
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
“Lovely place but WAY over-priced”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

The Golden Groves is a beautiful restaurant in what seems like the middle of nowhere (down a lane outside Rossett). It has the potential to be a spectacular pub and restaurant but is let down by one major thing ... the food is so over-priced. My wife and I went last night and had the belly pork. It was £16.95 each. Although the food was nice, it just wasn't enough. The belly pork itself was fine and the celeriac mash was also nice - but that was it.

The fact that the restaurant was almost empty all night (on a Saturday night) should tell the owners something. Either reduce the prices by (I would suggest £5) or give better value for money by adding vegetables and bigger portions.

Otherwise, a place like the Golden Groves will gain a reputation as being too expensive and not offering value. That can't happen to this beautiful restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank MikeLewis1970

North Wales, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff,food just ok.”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We called here for a Saturday lunch,having heard there were new owners we thought to give them a try.We were greeted by a very friendly barman/waiter who showed us to a table in the very cold and dark dining room.I chose the pie chips and peas and my wife chose a club sandwich.We did not have to wait very long before the meals were brought by the attentive waiter.I was very disappointed with my meal,The pie was just a pastry lid which needed a few more minutes in the oven,the meat was fatty,chips were ok and the peas were awful.Why put all the different things in single pots.I spent ages emptying them all out.I thought it was expensive for what it was.On the other hand my wife's sandwich was perfect,plenty of tasty bacon and loads of chicken.I think I drew the short straw that day.

1 Thank Rono53354
“Great experience”
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Heard about the wind down fri offer with two sirloin steaks and bottle of wine for twenty pounds. Management made us feel welcome and explained how to cook on the hot rocks. We were shocked the dining room was empty. Our meal was great...good fun and apart from being tricky to eat with nowhere to put the cooked food it was a really different experence. Despite it being really filling my boyfriend had desert which was a generous portion of sticky toffee pud.

Chester, United Kingdom
“Once again fab all round night”
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Seems to me this place gets better and better. I had the rib eye on the rock. My wife had a seafood casserole she is still goin on about it now. When you see and here poor review like the one below I think to myself where on earth are they going again well done to the golden grove

Wrexham, United Kingdom
“outstanding experience and amazing quality food”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I came to this beautiful restaurant for a family meal out, and cannot find a single thing to fault with any aspect of my experience here. There was a wide variety of both adventurous and traditional dishes on the menu, and the quality and portion sizes were definitely worth the price I paid. The staff were friendly and the decor of the place was adorable - I would urge anyone to pay the golden grove a visit, you definitely won't regret it!