“Good place to stay”
Review of The Dragon Hotel

The Dragon Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Montgomery
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here when walking Offa's Dyke. I had a small room but it was perfectly acceptable for my needs and was very good value. The staff were excellent, very attentive and helpful - they really made the stay and other hotels could learn much from their attitude.
The bar meals were good and reasonably priced
The room was quiet even thought it opened up onto the square and the terrace where people were eating and drinking. Breakfast was huge and very good quality.
Montgomery is a lovely spot to visit.
The only minor quibble I have is that the hotel states that it is dog friendly but the hotel does not let dogs into the bar while they are serving food. Fortunately the weather was excellent so I could sit outside but it might be a problem for some. It is possible to eat in the lobby but this could be cheerless on a cold night.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just returned from a weekend away in the Dragon in Montgomery, what a lovely old village, we walked round the village which had little placks on the building giving you the history of the houses.which myself and husband thought was fantastic. Our stay in the Dragon was good the room was clean and comfortable, staff were friendly and helpful.downstairs could do with a bit of a refurb but that is not a downside to this lovely old hotel. we had evening meal on our first night which was well cooked and hot. breakfast was huge again well cooked and hot . would stay here again

Reviewed 12 July 2014

We were travelling up to Llangollen and decided to break the journey with a stay in Montgomery, not somewhere we have stopped at before, but what a delight.

We arrived on the Sunday afternoon and we were greeted by a very helpful and friendly young man (at my age most are younger than me,) who took us through check-in quickly. We also decided to book a seat in the restaurant for later that evening.

The room was on the first floor (room 1) which light and airy. There was plenty of storage area and plenty of sockets to plug the electrical items in.

The bathroom was clean but was slightly let down by the bath panel which looked a little tired.

The bed was comfortable which helped for a very deep sleep.

There was a swimming pool which was available for both residents and locals to use (need to book at reception) which I didn't use but my wife had a session at 8 in the morning and had the pool to herself for half an hour.

The restaurant had a slightly reduced menu as it was a Sunday evening, but saying that, it had a good choice of starters, mains and of course desserts.

All were excellent, made using local ingredients and freshly cooked and good value for money. The bar served a number of local ales with the lad behind the bar able to recommend a good pint or two.

Breakfast was, again, freshly prepared and excellent. Withy a good choice.

It's been a while since we've stayed in a hotel that has had such a happy feel about it. There wasn't anyone I spoke too that didn't have a genuine smile and wasn't g;ad to help.

Yes the floor boards creaked a bit. The roof was a little low in places. There were lots a stairs. But this is a 17th century coaching inn. Its not a corporate hotel that is identical in every town and city across the world.

The Dragon is special in being different and worth the trip too.

Would I recommend it - O Yes.
Would I go again - Can't wait.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here for one night last weekend with my husband and found it quite lovely. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and clean as was the restaurant with well cooked, nicely priced food and wine. We will recommend this hotel to my husband's work colleagues who travel regularly to the area (Newtown) and we are sure they will be as delighted as us. We will definitely return and highly recommend this establishment.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have stayed here 3 times over the past 2 years. The relaxed atmosphere and creative Gluten Free food offerings entice me back each time. How can you resist Gluten Free fish and chips? I suggested adding cider to the batter on the second occasion, which worked a treat!
The locals are friendly, the hotel staff are helpful and the jazz on a Wednesday evening is such a change from the norm. I will be back when the sauna is completed

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Having spent my childhood in the area, always loved Montgomery, and would often pop in for a drink or a snack, never had a bad experience.

Now, having moved away, I went and visited my sister, who still lives nearby, and we decided to pop over to have dinner in the bar, which was really good. barman helpful and friendly, made sure we were okay, and food was good, which it was!

I love Montgomery, and the Dragon is a good asset :)

would recommend

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Booked a Sunday lunch here for Fathers Day and it couldn't have been better,. Hadn't been here for about 20 years. but remembered the Dragon Hotel as a lovely old historic building. It has been beautifully and sensitively refurbished by the new owners and it is a great place to eat.. Right from the moment we entered the building we were made to feel very welcome. The service was speedy and efficient there no long waits between courses and the staff were so helpful they made us feel like royalty. All the others diners looked equally happy. All the tables were full and there was a great atmosphere. The food itself was superb. My starter of broccoli and stilton soup was spot on with very good flavour balance too many places swamp the vegetable with too much cheese this was not the case at the Dragon. My husband's prawn starter was also declared delicious by him For the main course I had roast chicken and my husband had beef in both cases the meat was moist and succulent. All the accompanying vegetables were cooked to perfection with yummy roast potatoes. We didn't have to ask for extra gravy it was offered right at the start of the course and the offer taken up by us later on too I always like a lot of gravy and I unashamedly indulged. We finished with lemon syllabub in my case and bread and butter pudding in my husbands case. We were by then well satisfied but were determined to complete our meal. We left feeling happily full of excellent food and looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montgomery
Mellington Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanfyllin
Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa
Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Llanwddyn

Been to The Dragon Hotel? Share your experiences!