We booked this at the last minute, and on the way there, decided to read TA reviews.....many were pretty bad, and had us feeling a little nervous about our choice! In fact, we were laughing hard at one point, since the trip was a present to our nephew for his graduation and birthday, and it sounded like it was going to be the present from hell!
No need to worry though....other than the difficulty in finding it (we never would have found it with the GPS, but my nephew had the OS map for the area and did a great job of navigating), everything else was fine.
We drove up and fell in love with the location - surroundings and building. Our rooms were lovely, much better than expected. They were roomy and well decorated, and reasonably clean (not spotless, but I am picky). The bed though soft was quite comfortable. The only negative is that there wasn't much sound-proofing, so we heard our neighbors talking and watching TV, and the people above walking around. But it didn't detract from our experience or interrupt our sleep, since it was pretty quiet by the time we went to bed (you could always bring ear plugs if this bothers you).
We ate at the restaurant one evening, and the meal was decent if not outstanding. Breakfast was okay...we had the croissants and fruit and yogurt one morning and that was a huge disappointment. It was just a small dish of thin yogurt, a mass produced store bought croissant, and a "help yourself" to the bowl of over ripe fruit. Oh, well : )
The breakfast room itself is very nice, and the attached lounge/bar area is also very nice....we had a drink there one evening.
We went down to Newport Beach one evening to see the sunset - very beautiful. We did the coastal walk from St David's to Solva, and also spent a bit of time visiting St David town and the cathedral. Cwtch restaurant there is excellent. We also spent some time at Whitesands beach, and Stackpole Estates (beautiful beach and hikes, and AMAZING dinner at the pub), and also checked out Pentre Ifan - all highly recommended.
All in all, we thought it was a stunning area, and this place was good value, and a very charming place to spend a couple of days.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gellifawr is located in the beautiful Gwaun Valley in the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, about four miles from the coast and beaches at Newport Sands. Perfect for walking, bird watching, hiking, cycling, nature watching, beaches, sightseeing or just relaxing in the friendly and comfortable welcoming environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Gellifawr Woodland Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gellifawr Hotel Fishguard
- Gellifawr Woodland Retreat Pontfaen, Pembrokeshire