A last minute quick getaway seeking peace and quiet and that's exactly what we got. Very attentive staff without being overbearing. Lovely room in the main hotel (room 3) with 4 poster bed - really comfortable. So, this is a country house, not some sterile hotel in the middle of a city - the decor was tasteful & in-keeping with this and we loved it.
We had booked an evening meal elsewhere, but on seeing the menu (3 courses for £25) we decided to eat at the hotel. It was the right move - the food was plentiful and excellent. The chef came and spoke to us after our meal which was a really nice touch. Breakfast was delicious - a full breakfast with a choice of eggs.
Lounge area really comfortable with a log burner - managed to sink a few beers whilst watching Wales beating Scotland at rugby - a more than thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.
Over the lane from the hotel there is a scenic walk along a river. Unfortunately it is really steep so if like me you have mobility issues it is impossible, but the views excellent nonetheless.
From room 3 we had a spectacular sunset through the large sash window - which is easy to open for fresh Welsh country air.
Plenty of towels and some toiletries enough for 1 night stay.
I will be visiting again, but next time I may consider a cottage hire - we were shown one on request - the only one not occupied. They even have a disabled friendly cottage - all on one level.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gellifawr is located in the beautiful Gwaun Valley in the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park, about four miles from the coast and beaches at Newport Sands. Perfect for walking, bird watching, hiking, cycling, nature watching, beaches, sightseeing or just relaxing in the friendly and comfortable welcoming environment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Odigeo, Evoline ltd, Priceline and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gellifawr Woodland Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gellifawr Hotel Fishguard
- Gellifawr Woodland Retreat Pontfaen, Pembrokeshire