“Disappointing”
Review of The Stables - CLOSED

The Stables
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The restaurant is part of the elegant Saughton Hall complex ...a popular wedding venu
Reviewed 26 June 2015

Saw the sign on the main road between Northop and Sychdyn advertising cream teas so decided to visit one Friday around 2pm.
Ordered a cream / jam scone with coffee (rather than tea, no problem for them to change it) and liver on brioche with coffee - around £17.
We sat outside as we had our dog with us (waiter brought a bowl of water over for our dog which was appreciated).
The coffee was served in cups and saucers and was weak. A cafetiere would be better. I received 2 tiny warmed scones, a stick of hard butter, small glass pot of jam (like you get in hotels) and a bowl of cream (not clotted). At £5.50 I was robbed. Recently in Cornwall, I paid the same price for 2 large scones, generous portions of fresh jam and clotted cream, a pot of tea and a mug of coffee!
Husband enjoyed his liver on brioche although the brioche was close to being burnt.
The staff (dapper older gentleman and a young waitress) were friendly and efficient but the food let it down. A shame as I looked forward to visiting more over the summer with a female friend for cream teas. The search continues!

1  Thank bluelizard

Reviewed 6 June 2015

We visited to celebrate my Mothers 80th Birthday the staff were very helpful and attentive and catered well for two vegetarian octogenarians one of which is also lactose intolerant. The starters were excellent soup of the day was curried cauliflower although I enjoyed the piri piri chicken livers. The mains were well cooked and well presented. Service was attentive but not intrusive. We had a very pleasant evening in lovely surroundings. I would visit again and would recommend to anyone.

Reviewed 17 March 2015

we booked for 12 noon and it was quiet ,starters and service very good.We all had the carvery ,hot and plentiful,the beef was not cooked enough for me as it was dripping with blood.Sweets were very nice,I think we were lucky going early as I was told later in the day was chaos .We would try it again for Sunday lunch as it was good value but we would dine early

1  Thank Christine D
Reviewed 22 February 2015

A friend and I visited the stables for Sunday lunch 15th Feb as she had a voucher as a Christmas gift. We had to go upstairs as downstairs was not in use and as my friend is 79 this was not very good.We had the carvery and the starters were very good. The carvery itself was not hot,the roasters were dry and the yorkshires very hard. This weeken we had a Sunday lunch at the White Lion Buckley and it was excellent as usual very hot fresh and tasty. Will not visit the Stables again.

1  Thank Jayne19582013
Reviewed 5 October 2014

Our family visited The Stables today for my wife's Birthday with family and friends It has been sometime since we have been to The Stables and although the impressive drive to the restaurant remains, the food quality was not as we had previously experienced.The pianist was excellent (George Croilala) and would recommend him as he was very talented and chatted to customers and indeed the staff waiting on were excellent but the food quality was disappointing

3  Thank 980jam