“Hotel ok, but a nightmare to find!”

Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Northop
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This is exactly what you'd expect from a Holiday Inn; clean, good quality and good value for money. However, I found it almost impossible to find. My satnav couldn't find it, despite having the postcode, and when I located it by driving along the A55, I realised that you can only access it from one carriageway. If on the other side, you end up with a massive detour. Not sure why my satnav was unable to locate it (it kept taking me to a village about 3 miles away, but it checked the postcode online).

This all meant that I was tired and slightly stressed by the time I arrived; the friendly staff couldn't have been more helpful though and I was soon in my cosy room.

Not sure I'd stay here again, just because of the problems accessing the hotel, though others may not have had the same experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Linda1892
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West), responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Linda1892,

I appreciate that you took the time to review our property. I regret the trouble you experienced locating our facility. Despite this, it is nice to receive a 5 star rating for the service you received from our staff.

We hope that you can give us another opportunity to host you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

I would like to say that had myself and my partner had been on our own the stay would have been lovely.
However we were in Chester with our 16 year old son who is a wheelchair user.
We booked through laterooms.com and requested wheelchair accessible.
On arriving the lady on reception clarified with us that it was a twin room we wanted. I confirmed this and nothing else was said.
The room we were given was down a very narrow corridor and through a door and along more corridor.
We were exhausted after a long day and just accepted that this room was chosen due to there being a function on and it would be quieter.
The access into the room was difficult.
We needed a packed lunch for our son in the morning. This is offered on the room service menu in the room. When we asked for one to be made. The same lady at reception said we don't do those anymore. But I will see if we can making us feel stupid for asking.
We eventually were given an order form to order one but no apology.
The beds were uncomfortable but the room was clean and warm.
Breakfast was v tasty.
However no attempt was made by the staff to help my son carry a drink to the table. Instead she just gawped.
Making matters worse she then looked put out as she had to shuffle behind showing some other guests to the table. Which, I might add, was not offered to us..
Only at the last minute in exasperation did another waitress walk over and help our son. It felt like she eventually helped because other guests were being inconvenienced, by my sons difficulties, not the fact that they wanted to help.

On returning to our room to collect our belongings the cleaning trolley was in the corridor. This meant we had to ask Matt to wait in reception as he couldn't get past.
I mentioned this situation on checking out where I was told that if I had not asked for a twin room we would have been in a better room. Obviously my
fault!!!
My son was I feel treated as if he was invisible.
HE ISN'T. He deserves much better treatment.

We should have been given all the room information on arrival. Not told that it was late rooms fault or worse still my fault.

By the way, I stayed at traveledge last night. MUCH MUCH BETTER.
I have given them a glowing review

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Elle_aine
CHEUK_Response_from, Owner at Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West), responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Elle_Aine

May I thank you for taking the time and trouble to comment on your recent visit to my hotel

I am very grateful that you were delighted with the cleanliness of the hotel and that we provided you with value for money - in particular I appreciated your praise of our breakfasts

I am aware that Maria has been in contact with you personally in order to apologise for any inconvenience and offence that we may have inadvertently given and I do sincerely hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the not too distant future

Sincerely

Tony Horsfall - Director

Reviewed 23 November 2013

Stayed just one night a the Party venue. Impressed from the start by friendly efficient reception staff. I had asked on the phone for a room near facilities (temporarily incapacitated....leg in plaster) This had been thoughtfully arranged. The room was a good size,clean and comfortable. I liked the labelled pillow selection. Despite being near the front door and carpark it was quiet. The party venue was very pleasant and all the staff at the Bars were helpful and cheery. Next morning, when my newspaper did not arrive, someone quickly went out to the garage to fetch it. That's service. Breakfast (continental was my choice) good value. Again the staff were so efficient and friendly. Free easy access to WiFi in room and public areas was a bonus. This experience was very good and me sure I will look out for Holiday Inns in future.

Room Tip: Ring up before you go.....if you have any questions. They will advise and help if they can.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Janethawson
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Used the Holiday Inn Express for an overnight stop. We checked in quite late and left fairly early but found the reception staff very welcoming and the room good - there were two double beds, which is better than the sofa bed which we often find in roadside hotels. Room was clean, comfortable and there was no problem with road noise despite being at the front of the hotel. Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a stop on the way to North Wales or for the Chester area, although it is quite a few miles from Chester area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Arrived well before check in time. Was asked if we would like the 2 rooms next to each other, a member of staff came and told us that the rooms were not ready, this was not a problem for us, so we made our way to the bar. A member of staff came and found us after about an hour and said rooms were now ready. We had rooms 301 & 302, which looked onto the A55, yes you could hear the traffic, but it wasn't that bad.. Rooms were clean, tidy and warm, hubby moaned that it was too hot !!!
Warm friendly staff, clean hotel and the added bonus of free Wi-fi.
All in all another pleasant stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stayed here on a business trip to N. Wales, easy to find, big car park, and one of the best welcome's I've had at any hotel of late, super friendly. Check in was painless, went to my room to catch up on emails of the day via the fre wi-fi, then down to the bar for a couple of drinks anf a meal, all very good.

Not a bad nights sleep, the bed was a bit soft for my liking, but not the end of the World.

A great breakfast, and off before dawn, all in all a good stay, and great value.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Checked in with a welcome and smile

Staff were all very polite, and accommodating

Room was very clean tidy, and of a good size

Location not the best if you wish to tour the area as you will need a car, but for business perfect spot

Restaurant food was good plenty of choice for breakfast from fruit thro to good old english

The evening meals were better than expected, well cooked and good choices.

My only issue was the steak on one night, medium rare turned out to be med to well done, but was still edible, a minor issue and the waitress was very apologetic, and then the creme brulee topping was like a sheet of ice, not good thick and difficult to break, over sugar ??. This was also apologised by the waitress.

So beyond that well worth stopping there, and a good night sleep

Do not however if at front open your window, the A55 is busy thro the whole night

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northop
Village Hotel Chester St David's
Travelodge Chester Northop Hall
Beaufort Park Hotel
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
Springfield Hotel & Health Club
#1 of 1 in Pentre Halkyn
Northop Hall Country House Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Llyndir Hall, Chester South

Been to Holiday Inn A55 - Chester (West)? Share your experiences!