“The perfect away from it all hideaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hafod Elwy Hall

Hafod Elwy Hall
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Denbigh
Nicosia District, Cyprus
“The perfect away from it all hideaway”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband and I spent eight days at this utterly glorious hall, (5th June until 13th June) I cannot praise it highly enough. We left feeling like friends even though Roger and Wendy were not 'in your face' at all. The Hall is situated in the midst of the most spectacular scenery on the Denbigh moors and the owners also have a 60 acre holding so all the eggs, bacon, sausages and lamb come from their animals. The decor is decidedly quirky but totally appropriate for the building, whilst, of course it is spotlessly clean, this is not your sanitised hostelry at all and, because of this, you do feel as though you are staying with friends of friends. We were upgraded to the largest room and it was fab, large four poster, victorian bath, etc, etc. Views of the front garden and the moors and trees beyond. We were in Denbigh for business and for visiting friends but we know the area extremely well and if you are looking for an escape this is it in spades. Don't worry about being cold - they have fires which are wonderful as the building is cool which is a bonus when there is hot weather. Don't worry about being bored there are books galore which you can take with you if you have not finished them and puzzles and games to intrigue and challenge. As for the food - what can I say - Roger could easily be a michelin cook, the meals we had there were unbelievably good, one starter was homegrown asparagus with an absolutely delicious sauce of Roger's own invention followed by wild rainbow trout one day and then raspberries which I had brought as we cannot buy 'fresh' raspberries in Cyprus, another day we had the asparagus again, roast pork and all the trimmings plus the most amazing crackling ever which was followed by a homegrown rhubarb fool - not too sweet which contrasted wonderfully with the pork. The last meal we had was a smoked salmon starter, braised beef in wine and strawberries. As for the breakfasts they kept us going all day, plus Roger even knows how to coddle the best scrambled eggs I have had! You must, must visit this place, really you must.

Room Tip: Go for the largest room if you can it is the best, they have a small fridge in there too which you c...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
therealwith, Owner at Hafod Elwy Hall, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We're pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see both of you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We enjoyed 2 glorious days at the hall with dinner both evenings. The weather was great which was a bonus but the real plus points are the friendly welcome , log fires , comfortable accommodation and lovely home sourced food.
We did not bring our dog along on this occasion but would recommend it as a dog friendly place with nice walks directly from the Hall to the reservoirs and beyond.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Have just returned from a lovely stay at Hafod Hall. Situated about 40 minutes drive from Snowdon it's a perfect place to rest after climbing Wales' highest peak.

Plus points:
- Roger is a wonderful cook and £20 for a 3 course meal is excellent value. Each meal was lovingly prepared and devoured with great pleasure.
- No phone connection! Perfect for those who really want to get away from it all.
- Bedrooms and living rooms are very homely, spacious and clean.
- Hafod Hall also has a great deal of character that it's hard not to find enchanting.

Bad points:
- None really although Wendy did spend 5 minutes telling us how awful London is. Given she knew all 4 of us lived there it suggested a slight lack of self awareness. However, both hosts are excellent and this is more of an anomaly.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luke P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Every aspect of Hafod Elwy Hall tickled my fancy. From the quirky ornaments and wall hangings, to the beautifully restored furniture, the abundance of wood which I found so grounding, the beautifully spacious Bran room, to the deliciously abundant breakfast - I swear I could taste the amazingness of the butter through my scrambled eggs! Later I also found out that most of the food they serve is from their own farm (as is most, if not all, of their electricity and heating).

The surrounding environment was delightfully green. Openess and space abounds. It is nigh impossible not to feel balanced and relaxed in such a setting, and the horizon is dotted with lots of white dots of sheep, which my bf refers to as 'land clouds'. They were so cute I wanted to stop the car to jump out and cuddle them! I even found out that their eyes glow in the dark. How cool is that!?

Our room was cosy and warm. My sleep was deep and peaceful and littered with strange and wonderful dreams. The bath products were a treat, smelling absolutely delicious. Everything was really clean too.

The family who run the place are so friendly and hospitable, and catered to my gluten-free diet with ease.

If I had another weekend free, I would go back there in a shot! In fact, we stayed two nights, and saw plenty. But I feel another night would have been better, so that we could have also visited Mount Snowdon.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We booked this B&B at is was 5*, and it met up to its standard. We were met by Richard and went up to a large room, well decorated, with four poster bed, lovely crisp white sheets, more than glorious quilt, proper curtains, chaise lounge, rocking chair, fresh milk etc in the fridge, a fruit bowl and a large well stocked bathroom with wonderful fluffy white towels.
Breakfast was delicious, freshly cooked, my husband was in heaven.
All the rooms had been furnished with great care and when the fires were lit became extremely welcoming.
The Hall is obviously a small family run affair (as you can see by the photos) very personal, very pleasant and I suspect nothing would be too much for Wendy and Richard if it made your stay more enjoyable.
The walk to the reservoir is one I will remember for some time, so peaceful, such pretty suroundings.
We rarely visit the same area twice but if we do, we will certainly stay here again.

2 Thank Nicki C
York
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Where to start?! Well it's in a fantastic location, lovely views, peaceful and quiet. The house is beautiful and the interior decor allows its history to shine. We stayed in the ensuite room, Bran, which is huge, with a four poster and a big bathroom. Roger and Wendy are lovely people, really enjoyed talking to them. Roger cooks a mean breakfast, excellent quality and lots of it, possibly the best sausages and bacon I've ever had.... and I've had a lot!

1 Thank HJ88
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We chose Hafod Elwy Hall for its surroundings and quietness. We had a fantastic stay, Wendy and Roger are very friendly, Roger is a great cook!!. You cannot get a phone signal which is great. Views are really special, the rooms are beautiful (we had a standard with bathroom across the hall) and we were very happy with it. I looked at some of the other rooms as they were vacant at the time, and they were stunning.

If you would like a really lovely quiet long week-end, look no further!!

Access to other areas are simple, we visited Snowdonia, Caernarfon, Rhyl, Conwy, LLandudno and maybe a few other places in just two days.

Thanks to Wendy and Roger for a great welcome, can't wait to come back - Sonia and Mick (arrived home about 12.30 am)

p.s. Wendy did you find the cat!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Denbigh
Pier Hotel Rhyl
Premier Inn Rhuddlan Hotel
Swallow Falls Hotel
Swallow Falls Hotel
#6 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Hafod Elwy Hall? Share your experiences!