“A special retreat”

The Farmhouse Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Saint Saviour
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights in July instead of going abroad. The weather was sunny and the hotel was set in lovely ground right in the middle of the island. We booked a suite which was beautifully decorated and even had a small balcony overlooking the hotel outdoor pool. We ate in the restaurant a couple of times and also ate in the outside bar area in the sunshine. The local bus stops right outside the hotel, so no need for a car, and it took us right into St Saviour where you can catch island touring buses. Good location for a quite retreat and a very popular restaurant with the locals and holiday makers.

Room Tip: If you can, opt for the suites.
2  Thank Vee50
There are newer reviews for The Farmhouse Hotel

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Myself and my partner booked a w/e stay at this hotel because of the lavish photographs and description in their online brochure. We were met by the manager Francesco who was very polite and helpfull. The hotel is very clean and all the staff were polite. I do have a couple of issues though. One of the main reasons we booked the hotel was the swimming pool in the photographs it looks very peaceful and idyllic it was a lovely summer week end and we looked forward to lazing by the pool. The trouble with this place is it is also a busy restaurant and Saturday and Sunday lunchtime the place was packed. The people and their children that were having lunch were dinning outside and monopolizing the pool the surrounding tables and most of the garden furniture. The place resembled Butlins rather than a 4 star hotel, with children screaming and jumping in and out of the pool rather than the idyllic retreat the place is advertised as. There is a large sign along side the pool saying that it was for the sole use of residents after 3.00 pm but neither the staff or the customers took any notice of it. On our first night staying at the hotel we decided to dine in the restaurant the service was very slow as there was a function in the main dinning room. I ordered a Rack of Lamb and considering it took nearly an hour to arrive consisted of 4 small lamb cutlets that were virtually raw. The following night we ate in the restaurant and I had a well done burger!
The hotel is a lovely but it is also a busy restaurant and function venue, it is very expensive and if you are looking for a quite retreat to unwind this is not the place. My total bill for the week end was over £550, the rooms were nice but the food is only average I dont think it represents value for money and I would not return.

6  Thank charlesbrownauto
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I am not sure whether the Farmhouse is trying to be a cosy boutique hotel or a high end service led hotel. In either case I don't think it works and it is expensive for what you get.

The hotel has a nice rear garden which contains a pool and the grounds are large with sunbeds in various places, so you can get away from the pool if its busy with swimmers and people have drinks/ food around it.

The room we had was well furnished. Had a good walk-in shower (no bath) and a good sized TV with Sky (inc Sports but not movies). Bed was comfy. Room was OK in size but not great.

In our room during the night we were woken by a grinding noise, which lasted a few seconds then reappeared every few minutes. This kept waking me up,. In the morning I mentioned this to the front desk and there was no apology. The comment I got was “are you in room 3, because if you are its probably the cooler for the beer and if I turn it off then the beer will be warm“. Certainly not the response you expect from a 4* hotel. I said that I was not in room 3 and would someone go and look at it whilst we were out. However that night the same noise appeared and we didn't get much sleep. We mentioned it again on check out and got a muted apology.

One evening we had a casual dinner in the bar (note: the only draft Ale was off). My wife had fish and chips - which were OK. I would say the ones at the Cobo Bay Hotel were better. I had the burger, which again was average. The food was put on the table and both waiters disappeared before we were able to ask for condiments and sauces. I had to go after them. Once we had said that we didn't want desert we were given the bill, without asking for it as we were in the bar and wanted another drink.

The breakfast options are good and well cooked, I had the Eggs Benedict one morning and the full English the next. Both were good, although am not a fan of the homemade baked beans.

This is an expensive hotel and from my experience it was disappointing from a service perspective and the quality of the food. If you compare the price of a night here to say The Pig on the Beach at Swanage, they are similar but the Pig is miles ahead of the Farmhouse.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kevingbell
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Facilities, rooms, location, food, & staff excellent! Good stay apart from Friday 01st August '14 when Vicky Pollard and co moved in for a wedding and stayed in rooms 4 &10. Firstly they took up a table in the nice restaurant and sat there like it was a pub eating sandwiches and drinking coke, this hotel has a bar with adequate tables for waynetta and pollard to do this instead of using space in the restaurant for people who want to enjoy a meal, we had to eat our evening meal in the corridor outside the restaurant, we had been here all week and they are here for a tacky wedding. Then they decided to talk loudly in the corridor near to our room at various stages of the night about hair and various other pointless issues. If they had a brain cell between them they would of figured out that talking quietly in one of their rooms would of been better and less selfish. On Sat morning, 02nd, they did this again early in the morning, talking outside their rooms instead of in them, the poor other guests trying to lay in and enjoy themselves, particularly families with children. The staff said we were not the only ones to complain about their behaviour as children were woken up in the night, the staff apologised and said they would be talking to them about this. This hotel should stop the function bookings, it's a nice hotel not a cheap premier inn for this sort of trash!

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank AndyGardiner1975
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Well what a weird experience it was staying here for 5 nights. The hotel certainly looked nice & the room was good but things quickly deteriorated from there. We arrived on Sunday afternoon to the promise of a Sunday roast from the hotel manager Francesco if we ate in the restaurant that evening. Unfortunately no one had told him they don't do roast dinners on a Sunday evening. Mildly annoying but no big deal we thought.
On our first morning we had not been up long (09:30am & still undressed!) when the hotel maintenance thought it would be a good idea to start cleaning the balcony area & glass windows (see enclosed pic) of our hotel room!
On the Monday night we got back to the hotel late & decided to try the bar food as the hotel was quiet. So we ordered 2 burgers at 8:50pm. At 10:10pm 2 burgers arrived. They were raw. Perhaps the chef had the oven on at room temperature I thought. So bearing in mind we'd already waited 80 mins for 2 uncooked burgers we decided to retire to our hotel room instead of risking food poisoning/death by boredom.
The manager Francesco invited us to have dinner in the restaurant the following night as compensation we asked him if the same chef would be cooking our meal. Francesco replied that it would indeed be the same chef so we politely declined on health grounds. As the hotel hosted a local birthday party for a load of teenagers on the Tuesday night we were further relieved we didn't risk the restaurant.
So after a rowdy party downstairs Tuesday night we thought we might sleep in a bit on Wednesday morning. So when 3 electricians started chatting outside our balcony at 09:00am (see enclosed pic) we knew it was time to get dressed & go out. I remarked to my partner how clever the hotel was to make sure they don't have the guy with the water hose working outside your room on the same morning as the sparky.
Visually this is a nice hotel but its massive problem is its management and in particular its manager Francesco who had quite clear he'd lost the respect of his staff. He appeared to manage his staff in an almost tyrannical manner that, in my opinion, has left him with a dearth of quality staff. At the end of the day this hotel charges nearly £200 a night and its just not good enough. Who on earth books maintenance to be carried out first thing in the morning when most guests are in their hotel rooms! The manager couldn't even look us in the eye as we checked out on the Friday (he even comically pretended to answer a phone that wasn't ringing!). Instead he shamefully passed the buck to another member of staff (who knocked off 2 gin & tonics off of our bill from the comedy burger night! whooppee-do!).

Trip Advisor is usually a good indicator and the place has a lot of positive reviews so my advice would be if you do stay here just make sure you eat out and don't get dressed with the curtains open!

Room Tip: Room 6 has no view whatsoever (unless you like looking at contractors working outside at 9am).
4  Thank Giles S
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I can't recommend The Farmhouse highly enough. Everything was perfect. Had the most amazing, huge double bed (most comfortable I have ever slept in) and a fantastic shower/bathroom with underfloor heating (not needed). The room had air conditioning (needed) and just about anything you can think of that you might need for a short stay. Bathrobes, slippers...toiletries...everything. Ate in the restaurant once (fab) had afternoon tea once (fab) and breakfast in my room every morning (fab). Staff were always highly attentive. Anyone complaining about this Hotel really has to be royalty or something.

2  Thank Originalpatsy
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a relaxing 2 night break at The Farmhouse. We found the hotel to be charming and the bed one of the most comfortable that we've slept in. The only slight tarnish on the experience was the service being very slow in the restaurants; there were plenty of staff who were very apologetic about the delays but there was no improvement throughout the stay. However it wouldn't stop me from staying there again.

Stayed: July 2014
La Barbarie Hotel
La Barbarie Hotel
#1 of 9 in St Martins
St. Pierre Park Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort

Been to The Farmhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!