Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
The Oxford Belfry(Milton Common)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
2,353 results
All reviewsraymond blanccookery schoolspecial occasiontasting menucookery coursecelebration packagemoment you arriveaccompanying winesgarden suitepetit foursvegetable gardenbirthday treatwine flightevery member of staffjunior suiterisottoa la carte menu
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 February 2011

Being only the second night we've had away on our own without the children in 6 years, we decided to push the boat out and have a night at Le Manoir.

Our suite (Jade) was beautiful - part of the garden courtyard area and overlooking the gardens, it was luxuriously furnished with no detail overlooked. The bed was supremely comfortable and the bathroom complete with it's own steam cubicle and television (not that we watched it!).

We opted for the tasting menu, together with the "flight" of wines as we wanted to make the most of the experience, but on reflection this was a mistake. The food was lovely (apart from the first course - a langoustine tartare with savoury Japanese custard which had obviously come straight from the fridge and was rather gelatinous for my tastes), but there was just a bit too much of it. Puddings were the highlight, and although we were both full before they arrived, we couldn't resist. The flight of wines comprised 6 glasses throughout the meal, which was too many really and I refused 2 of them (my husband refused 1 but didn't drink all of the others). I think you would have to be a serious drinker to get through them all at the rate they were being poured - particularly if you'd had aperitifs.

If we return (which I hope we will) I would opt for the a la carte and have just 3 courses, and one decent bottle of wine for the whole meal.

The grounds are beautiful and despite the weather being rather drizzly we had a couple of pleasant walks around the various gardens (there are umbrellas everywhere for guests' use). There are lots of sculptures in the grounds which we particularly enjoyed.

Service was exemplary from every single member of staff we encountered - efficient and polite yet not stuffy as can often be the case in places such as this.

The downside for me was that we both had a very poor night's sleep. The bathroom in our suite was separated from the bedroom by curtains rather than a door and this was the source of the problem(s). Firstly, the air vent in the bathroom made a continuous humming noise which I found disturbing. Although it wasn't very loud, and may not have worried some people, I am unfortunately quite noise-sensitve. My husband rang down to the porter about 11.45pm who said it was on a timer and should go off shortly. It didn't, and at 1.00am, despite my best efforts to ignore it, I was still unable to sleep so my husband rang down again. The porter came to the room and managed to close it, thus stopping the noise. However, I was still unable to sleep as the room was very warm. Even though the radiators were off and the window wide open, because the bathroom had underfloor heating this was impacting on the bedroom area and making the air very dry and warm. I therefore had a constant dry mouth which kept waking me and led me to drink copious amounts of water which had the knock-on effect of requiring me to get up to the loo several times. This in itself was disturbing as the lighting in the toilet and bathroom was movement sensitive (no switch) so each time I went I was dazzled by bright lights which brought me to full wakefullness. Also, because the lights came on each time, this disturbed my husband (who isn't such a light sleeper as me). To add to my woes, there is a church very close by with a clock which chimed loudly every hour...

However, despite the poor night's sleep, I would go back like a shot - just not to the same room (beautiful as it is). I guess it is a sign of the overall quality that I still rate it 5 stars despite the disturbed night.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PersephoneBrown
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Stayed here for a joint wedding anniversary and 40th Birthday celebration. We had the Opium Suite this time and it was a delight. This time we left our room to have breakfast in the Conservatory....wow, wish I'd done this everytime. The most delish' breakfast EVER.

What can I say, this place is consistently great - ambiance, grounds, room, food, service - it's the whole package and you leave feeling like every sense has been awakened. It's expensive of course but nowadays you can't always guarantee a good experience even if you're spending lots of money. I think those places that do 'deliver' consistently make it worth it and are such a pleasant surprise.

I said to my husband that if we ever have a bad experience here I'll be devasted and won't want to go away anywhere else !

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I booked Le Manoir for what my partner believed was for her birthday, when in fact I had it all planned out that I would propose to her. Overall the night was amazing, from the start where we were greeted with warm smiles and attentive staff through to the magical walk in the garden at dusk (where I chose my moment). The room (Cameo) was so warm and welcoming with soft pastille browns, a Christmas Tree (it was December) in the corner of the room, choir music playing in the background, it just set the scene. The Deluxe rooms are everything and more you want, spacious bathroom with stand alone bath and separate shower, his and hers sinks, Bose speakers that plays the music from the bedroom, mood lighting etc. All this and I've not mentioned the food... we went for the taster menu and was not disappointed. Every course had us wanting more with anticipation growing about what delicacies we would savor next. The table staff we polite and friendly and, although were well trained for that sort of environment, still had a sense of humour.
The grounds were spectacular and has made me want to come back in the summer to see the vegetable patch complete and the lavender walkway in full bloom.
Price wise you get what you pay for, after all I only intend to get married once so didn’t want to scrimp. That said the overall experience is one of the best I've had and we will cherish the memories of that night.
The highlight of it all (aside from the fiancé saying YES! was the signed taster menu from Raymond that was sent to us (on request) for us to frame as a memento of that night.
Full Stars!!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2011

Had lunch at Le Manoir. Food was excellent, and staff very attentive... unitl it was time to leave. Bill paid, gratuity left (without any thanks... a mere expectation maybe, but appreciation of appreciation is only polite) we were promptly ignored by ALL staff as we left, including the one who took our payment, despite the fact that she saw us leave! Not even a goodbye. So different from when we arrived, but maybe once you've paid your bill, there's no need for further niceties. A one off? I don't know, but for a restaurant that is so diligent, there's a piece of the jigsaw missing.

Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Flora40
LeManoirAdmin, General Manager at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2011

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your message.

We were so pleased that you had enjoyed your meal with us but really disappointed to read your comments with regard to the attentiveness of staff once you had paid your bill. We can offer no excuse for the lack of appreciation that was shown to you or for the missing farewell and hope that you will accept our apologies. This is not our standard, or what any guest should expect and we will certainly raise this with the members of staff who were on duty. We work very hard to maintain our reputation and are very sorry that on this occasion we failed.

We do hope that you will consider returning to Le Manoir in the future.

Kind regards,

Philip Newman-Hall

Reviewed 17 January 2011

You can't get quality like this - in the UK - without paying these prices. My partner and I had the experience of a lifetime, and yes it is an expensive experience but it really is worth it - not once did we think otherwise. For us everything went right - from driving into the reception car park (where we had our car taken from us and our luggage offloaded) and not even having to check in (we were simply whisked off by a member of staff and given a tour of the hotel before being taken to our suite), right down to the tea that was delivered the next morning to our room at precisely 7am - complete with six tiny hand made shortbread biscuits in three flavours. Not one complaint - not even a small one. I have tried to think of one thing that wasn't simply perfect and I really can't. I guess there is one - the tea that arrived at precisely 7am wasn't accompanied by a pot of hot water. That really is the sum of the downside - and that is me being petty.

The place is run with military precision and everything happened like clockwork. The staff were fabulous - I could go on and on about how brilliant they were but it would make me sound like a sycophant, so I won't.

The meal was quite simply FANTASTIC. We had the decouverte menu, which comes with wine chosen by the sommelier and that is a fabulous touch because when there are only two of you it makes no sense to order various bottles to go with various courses.

I had a horrible head cold - that was the major downside for me - but even with my headcold I could taste some of the courses and enjoyed the textures of the others. My partner was also brilliant at verbally conveying the different subtle flavours of some of the dishes that I couldn't taste and he said it was amongst the best food he had ever eaten. He even devoured every single mouthful of the three dessert courses that he'd said he wouldn't be able to find room for (before they'd arrived) - they were so delicate and light and irresistable.

Buffet breakfast continental style the day after was much the same - FABULOUS. The way it was presented was so beautiful I didn't want to spoil it by taking bits from it. It went way beyond our expectations (the whole stay did). I haven't seen a breakfast selection to rival it in a hotel in the UK. My partner opted for a full English and said that it was exceptional, with the best quality bacon and sausage.

The hotel itself is divine. Our suite was stunning - it had everything one could wish for and the madeira wine that was waiting for us when we arrived after a few hours car journey was very welcome.

We will definitely be back to do it all over again - not only because I want to do it without a horrible head cold, but because it truly is worth it and I also want to see those fabulous gardens in the summertime.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple