“Once in a lifetime experience”

Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Milton
London, United Kingdom
“Once in a lifetime experience”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I was taken here as a surprise birthday present which could not have been surpassed. From the moment you step foot out of your car you are made to feel very welcome and very special. The actual property is just beautiful and the gardens are amazing, I have never seen anything like them. The room was old but modern in terms of the facilities and they think of everything from the maderia wine (not to my taste), the fruit, the flowers and the custom 'Manoir' CD playing quietly in the background. The food as you would expect was exceptional and the service impecible. We took some bikes (freely available at the front entrance) and cycled around the local village - all very picturesque and had a game of croquet. I normally like to stay in places with a gym, spa and pool as I am an activities person however as a one night special get away I cannot see how this could be beaten. For me a real experience but I hate to think of the bashing the wallet took.......

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
Stamford
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This hotel and restaurant and exceeds expectations in every way. It’s near impossible to call Le Manoir a hotel as you feel like royalty from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave.

The staff have impeccable manners and cater for your every need (or whim).
We stayed in the Snow Queen suite complete with a small a garden area. The design of the room is exquisite, from the silk wall paper to the cushions on the bed (which I must add where straightened when we left the room!) every detail and consideration has been given to the theme.

There even was a first edition book by Hans Christian Andersen open at the Snow Queen story placed on a podium. There were also Snow Queen pictures on the walls and quartz stones (which resemble snow) on the dressing and bedside tables. A truly beautiful room.
Despite the rain (umbrellas are provided in the lobbies) we toured the gardens. The vegetables are amazing, it inspires you to have your own plot but you know yours would never come anywhere close to Le Manoir’s. There are several garden “areas” and the Japanese garden has to be my favourite, it’s is like being transported (if you could forget the drizzle) to a foreign land. Again detail has been made to each and every area.

We opted for Raymond Blanc's five course Les Classiques du Manoir evening meal which was truly superb. We asked the sommelier to choose our wine which proved rewarding as it complimented the food brilliantly. We could fault nothing and remained in awe of each plate which was presented. Oh to be able to cook and eat like this every day!

I should add at this point I have attended a fish cookery day at Le Manoir’s which I don’t think I’ve ever bragging to people about even though it was over 8 years ago!

I can’t rave about the hotel enough, I wish I could return every month but maybe that’s what keeps this place unique as it is best saved for special occasions. Many might not be able to afford to stay but lunch is a good alternative, you can still visit the gardens and experience the charm and magic that makes Le Manoir one of the finest hotels in the world.

Totana, Spain
Reviewed 19 September 2011

From the minute we arrived in the car park until our departure some 24 hours later we were totally spoilt! We cannot say enough good things about our too short visit.

The staff are excellent, attentive and polite, the buildings and public rooms are well designed and bedroom was wonderfully fitted and decorated.

We had the 7 course dinner and all the courses were excellent in design, texture and flavour.

Can't wait to go again!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We visited for dinner only , and had the tasting menu , around 7 courses. All were beautifully cooked, presented, with perfect balance of flavours, textures, and interesting pairings, too.

The house is simply stunning, too. Service was a little fussy at times, with, as with so many high end restaurants, simply too many waiters bustling around, but considering we were eating for over 2.5 hours, it was never intrusive, and always professional.

We'll be going back!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed 12 September 2011

As soon as you cross the threshold to Le Manoir you are cossetted in a womb of warm luxury, peace and tranquility. The place is simply exquisite - the rooms, the food and the general ambiance of well-being all add to Le Manoirs utter charm. We had The Menu Classique in the restaurant - 5 courses of 2* Michelin Food. We stayed in Cameo which was a lovely mix of old and new - old beams in the bedroom and a stunning bathroom with a virtual spa of toilettries and products. The gardens are every vegetable growers dream. Just loved every minute of being there and would return in a heart-beat

Brecon
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I was treated to the 7 course lunch menu by friends as my birthday treat. It was phenomenal! How anyone could review Le Manoir as average or poor, as some have, I really don't know! From the moment we walked in the staff were nothing but attentive & polite! The food out of this world!! Will I be returning? You bet!

• Stayed September 2011
UK
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I am amazed by the number of fabulous reviews. In a nut shell: the service is very good but to the point of being robotic, no one went 'off script'. One waiter at dinner opened up a little which brightened the evening. Our room was stifling even with the air-con but the bed was comfortable and feather pillows, thank heaven. Perfect decor..big fluffy 'everything'.
Very busy which I hadn't expected and in the gardens, although very nice, we were surrounded by other guests.
Dinner was fine, nothing to write home about, although my husband did say it was the best desert he'd ever tasted.
I chose the wine while a sycophantic waiter told me what a "superb choice" which sounded terribly like "says you" ....perhaps it's my amateur wine tasting insecurity.
Would I recommend the experience to a friend...well no sorry.
I have marked the rating as average...it's a little more than that but I couldn't mark it "very good" overall.
We were wished a 'Happy Anniversary'........but not one member of staff actually took time to ask whether it was a particularly special one, which it was, they'd simply been scripted to wish us a happy one.
I know sounds pedantic but it sort of sums things up.
If anyone has read my other reviews you'll probably gather here that I'm just...well...(sigh!)... really disappointed.
We travelled back home via The Kingham Plough for lunch and 'wow' the food was, as pretty much always, simply sublime......even the service had improved...imagine that! Review to come.

Room Tip: Get a suite if you want a view of the garden and ask what sort of location/view as often the website...