“Perfect”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Milton
Dorset
“Perfect”
Reviewed 2 October 2011

The best meal I have ever had. From start to finish perfection! Thanks.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
England
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We stayed for 5 nights and did the Cookery Course, a birthday present for my wife.
This was the most wonderful experience as are all the Orient-Express Group Hotels.
From the Cleaner to the GM everyone feel privileged to work for Raymond, a gentleman with a great gift exceeding expectations.
Nothing was too much trouble, with the staff quickly remembering your names, and made you feel very special.
We were spoilt with the Eugnie suite, which was like being on holiday in a wonderful French farmhouse.
The gardens are amazing with each statue having a special story.
The food was the best I have tasted and the service without compare.

Room Tip: All the rooms are all special, choose the best you can afford as you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I was treated to a night here for my 40th birthday. I am a lucky person!

As soon as you leave your car your suitcases are whisked away from you and appear in your room later. By the time we had walked to the front door someone greets you with your names. This just makes you feel very important and that is exactly how this hotel makes you feel. The room was wonderful with a huge bathroom and fresh fruit left in your room. We had a delicious fig and plum, yum!

Then we went round the garden which is marvelous! You can pay to have a tour of the garden which was fascinating if you are gardener. The gardens are really beautiful and there are many different types of garden.

Then there was the evening food! Every course was tasty, the sorbets were incredibly smooth, the meat perfectly cooked, the combination of flavours exquisite, the choice of 10 different breads incredible. The service was impeccable not pushy and certainly not in your face. They seemed to time plate taking to perfection with such grace.

The breakfast was equally amazing, someone else mentioned the tiny poached eggs but they give you 2 and somehow they manage to cook them brilliant and put a few small slashes in the white part without breaking the yolk.. I still wonder how they did this! There are so many choices of compotes, fruit, bread, meat (including a full pig's leg) and cheese.

Clearly this place is really pricey and if I was a millionaire I would practically live here ;) Sadly I might have to wait another 40 years for a return visit!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I was taken here as a surprise birthday present which could not have been surpassed. From the moment you step foot out of your car you are made to feel very welcome and very special. The actual property is just beautiful and the gardens are amazing, I have never seen anything like them. The room was old but modern in terms of the facilities and they think of everything from the maderia wine (not to my taste), the fruit, the flowers and the custom 'Manoir' CD playing quietly in the background. The food as you would expect was exceptional and the service impecible. We took some bikes (freely available at the front entrance) and cycled around the local village - all very picturesque and had a game of croquet. I normally like to stay in places with a gym, spa and pool as I am an activities person however as a one night special get away I cannot see how this could be beaten. For me a real experience but I hate to think of the bashing the wallet took.......

Stamford
Reviewed 20 September 2011

This hotel and restaurant and exceeds expectations in every way. It’s near impossible to call Le Manoir a hotel as you feel like royalty from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave.

The staff have impeccable manners and cater for your every need (or whim).
We stayed in the Snow Queen suite complete with a small a garden area. The design of the room is exquisite, from the silk wall paper to the cushions on the bed (which I must add where straightened when we left the room!) every detail and consideration has been given to the theme.

There even was a first edition book by Hans Christian Andersen open at the Snow Queen story placed on a podium. There were also Snow Queen pictures on the walls and quartz stones (which resemble snow) on the dressing and bedside tables. A truly beautiful room.
Despite the rain (umbrellas are provided in the lobbies) we toured the gardens. The vegetables are amazing, it inspires you to have your own plot but you know yours would never come anywhere close to Le Manoir’s. There are several garden “areas” and the Japanese garden has to be my favourite, it’s is like being transported (if you could forget the drizzle) to a foreign land. Again detail has been made to each and every area.

We opted for Raymond Blanc's five course Les Classiques du Manoir evening meal which was truly superb. We asked the sommelier to choose our wine which proved rewarding as it complimented the food brilliantly. We could fault nothing and remained in awe of each plate which was presented. Oh to be able to cook and eat like this every day!

I should add at this point I have attended a fish cookery day at Le Manoir’s which I don’t think I’ve ever bragging to people about even though it was over 8 years ago!

I can’t rave about the hotel enough, I wish I could return every month but maybe that’s what keeps this place unique as it is best saved for special occasions. Many might not be able to afford to stay but lunch is a good alternative, you can still visit the gardens and experience the charm and magic that makes Le Manoir one of the finest hotels in the world.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Totana, Spain
Reviewed 19 September 2011

From the minute we arrived in the car park until our departure some 24 hours later we were totally spoilt! We cannot say enough good things about our too short visit.

The staff are excellent, attentive and polite, the buildings and public rooms are well designed and bedroom was wonderfully fitted and decorated.

We had the 7 course dinner and all the courses were excellent in design, texture and flavour.

Can't wait to go again!!

Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We visited for dinner only , and had the tasting menu , around 7 courses. All were beautifully cooked, presented, with perfect balance of flavours, textures, and interesting pairings, too.

The house is simply stunning, too. Service was a little fussy at times, with, as with so many high end restaurants, simply too many waiters bustling around, but considering we were eating for over 2.5 hours, it was never intrusive, and always professional.

We'll be going back!

#2 of 2 in Milton Common
Old Bank Hotel
Old Bank Hotel
#1 of 44 in Oxford

Been to Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons? Share your experiences!