“Are you waiting for a cab?????”

Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Milton
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Booked 2 nights here. First impressions good so far some one parked the car for us on a freezing day. Walked down the path into reception. Stood waiting for a couple of minutes where there were 3 members of staff with clip boards. One approached and asked "Are you waiting for a cab?" Er actually No. Just had a 2 hour journey here and I am freezing !! We were shown to our room which was spectacular. Even though we had booked 2 nights we had to be told what time we were to eat. This happeneded to be 9pm. Far to late for me but oh well that will do. We started on the mamouth task of something like 10 courses. Only half of them were memorable. The other half not so good at all. At 11.30pm still eating !!! Eventually we finished and that night could not sleep as we ate so late. Breakfast in the morning was good. The next evening we were faced with the same menu, I thought it may have changed as people like us that had stayed 2 nights or more may have wanted to try something different. Then the billl well into the thousands. This was a special 40th birthday treat and I believe there is better out there.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank angela a
There are newer reviews for Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Been thinking of visiting this establishment for a long time. It did not disappoint, but at the same time I will not be staying overnight again, as I don't think it is worth the cost, unless I was at loss of where to go or I was having a massive celebration. The big downside of this property is lack of facilities - if there was a spa it would have upped my experience. There is a garden, which is very well kept, with lovely Japanese Garden ... but not much more except extensive countryside if you plan on a walk or run.
Room
Rooms are given names and are all different in design. We were in "Snow Queen" . Very good room. Nice size and bathroom has separate shower and bath. 2 wash basins. Flat screen TV. Toiletries are all full size,which is nice, not for taking away.
Four poster bed. Fruit and bottle water supplied. Free internet. Furnishings are superior quality. Very clean. I did not need the air con, so just offed it, but it seemed a little noisy. Large crack in mirror desk - which needs repair.
Turn down service.
Dinner
Pre dinner drinks at bar area with roaring fire. Good nibbles and perfect background music.
Service - perfect. Attentive but not OTT.
Food very good, up there in the Michelin stars.
But lacked WOW factor for me. Bit disappointed with dessert. Had Venison for main and that was good - but not "special". Coffee was very good.

BREAKFAST - now that was WOW. The spread on the bufett was very well done of superior quality. Lots of fruit, stewed fruits with no sugar. Fresh juice - even pomergranate shots.Cereals, grains, cheeses. Main course was cooked to order and I had perfect poached eggs with mushrooms, spinach & tomato. Be warned the portion is small - fine for me but I know people who would have needed more.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaroScriv
LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear ho_sik

We appreciate the feedback you have left for which we are grateful.

Thank you for your note about the desk, your comment about dinner and also with regard to portions sizes at breakfast.

Please rest assured we will look into all of your comments and thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Kind regards,

Raymond Blanc and the team at Le Manoir.

Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here recently for our 30th wedding anniversary and can only say that everything is stunning.
From greeting on arrival, check in, superb suite, lounges, dinner especially excellent, gardens, staff everywhere, breakfast and checkout all perfect.
Only disappointment is it took us so long to visit here. Been to most top hotels and restaurants in the country before but this is undoubtedly the best.
Will return soon.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

To borrow a line or two from the good lady,

"Simply the best, better than all the rest, better than anyone, "

Think that says it all really.

Rooms are lovely, but if you order Tea for the room, make sure you order milk! It would appear that "when in Rome" those lovely French people aren't doing as the Romans, and expect you to drink it Black! Come on Raymond, you deal with the cuisine, but leave the Tea to us Brits : )

Wonderful way to celebrate my wife's Birthday. We will be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed here for a 50th birthday treat and the stay was amazing from start to finish. All the staff from front of house to the kitchen and garden were welcoming and only too happy to share their knowledge, the food was exquisite and at no point did we feel rushed even when we checked out late due to our garden tour over-running. I could not recommend it highly enough.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Arranged months ago looking forward to a fantastic birthday night
We arrived early by ten mins by taxi and we're rushed through reception to the pre dinner lounge at lightening speed
My perception of the staff were here's two more mugs in the killing field lets screw these two for four hundred quid or more
Olives and canapés duly arrived
The staff kept coming over clearly could see we were still chatting and menu deliberating
Have you decided? No
Get off my back !
Got there eventually
The hawk eyed waiter then proceeds to try and take our half bottle of tonic and coke away and tries to usher us through the millisecond
Ok so I will put up with the staff and look forward to the hyped dining experience
We were ably ushered through to the dining room and I was sat by the kitchen door with a huge pillar by me ok it's kind of behind me but none the less!
We had chosen the six course
First course" the signature" course arrived looked good but was just tepid tasted ok but was dulled by the low temperature
A risotto course came left most of it far far too salty and tasteless
Second course fish but the scallop was raw in the middle
Venison came was good but v strong overpowering taste no mash purée etc to balance the taste
The overall food taste was overpowering and by now I was feeling nauseous and had to go to the bathroom and you can guess the rest
The cheese was a farce served with a corked wine
The sweet I could not face
As I say it must be me
The overall experience I felt was an absolute rip off
To spend £400 to throw it back down the toilet whilst there was not what I expected

• Stayed: October 2013
16  Thank ian g
Reviewed 30 October 2013

this is a hotel with a "WOW" factor on every level -- accommodation, staff, service, grounds and gardens, and of course food! Everything was so very good.
It is not inexpensive but a wonderful experience for a special occasion.
We booked the Garden Tour which lasted approx 2 hours and we would have missed lots of interesting information about the gardens if we had just wandered about on our own. I would definately recommend the Garden Tour.
Le Manoir is definately on our list of places for a future "special' visit.

Room Tip: I think across from reception, it was on 2 levels (bathroom on ground floor and bedroom/sitting area...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Milton Common
Old Bank Hotel
Old Bank Hotel
#1 of 44 in Oxford

Been to Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons? Share your experiences!