“Extra Special!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Milton
Padstow
“Extra Special!”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

If you like quality without stuffiness, a calm first class service, an oppulent but tasteful decor in beautiful, interesting surroundings serving delicious food and wine, Le Manoir will take some beating!!! Perfection!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Jackie S,

Thank you for sharing your experience.
Have a wonderful day and we hope to see you soon.

Raymond Blanc and the team at Le Manoir.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I booked this stay as a birthday surprise for my husband. We stayed overnight and had the nine course menu. Everything was amazing! the food, the room, the grounds and the staff could not be faulted. I had booked us both on a one day cookery course the next day which we would highly recommend and will definately be attending again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
LeManoirAdmin, Owner at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Dear Ssussan,

Wow, it sounds like you had a great time with us and experienced nearly everything you could whilst with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your day in The Raymond Blanc Cookery School, and I hope that you are both putting your new culinary skills to the test.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Ewell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We recently stayed and ate at le manor. Absoulutly fabulous from the moment we arrived the service was fantastic, the food exceptional and meeting Raymond Blanc next morning t breakfast made the trip so memorable

I cannot recommend the Le Manoir to highly, it really is that good

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Mark A,

I am so pleased to read that you had an absolutely fabulous time with us.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

surrey
Reviewed 20 November 2013

My husband organized a surprise lunch for me to celebrate my 'special 0' Birthday have to say the service was second to non the attention to detail was impeccable and the food was a true dining experience. I just hope one day we will be fortunate enough to stay the night and have dinner

1 Thank myob6
Dear myob6,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your birthday celebrations at Le Manoir.

Hopefully, we will see you both soon.

Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Do not have the words to describe this amazing place. We have experienced some of the best hotels in the world but Le Manoir has it all and more. Service, food, the room, the gardens, everything is fabulous. I could describe the service, the food, the room and the extras but suffice to say, perfect in every way. If you can afford it, do it. Can't wait to return, hopefully in the summer.

Dear Hepburn42,

To read that your stay with us was perfect fills me with pride. Thank you for sharing and we look forward to welcoming you back in the summer months.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed here for our 20th wedding anniversary with our 16 year old daughter . Everything was amazing from the moment you arrive.
We had the 9 course tasting menu and had to make a few changes which they did with ease .
The room was beautiful and very spacious .
The kitchen tour was very informative , 32 tables with 34 chefs , no wonder the food is so good.
This is our second visit and I cant wait to go back.
It is expensive but in my humble opinion worth every penny

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear gillb567,

What a wonderful way to spend your anniversary. I do hope your daughter had a great time?

We look forward to seeing you soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife had made the reservation for two night’s stay and had explained in a lengthy phone call to reservations that we were celebrating her reitement. It was decided during this call that we should reserve a room with its own private terrace adjoining the garden. The strangest aspect about the reservation was being told not to pay a small deposit of say 10-20 per cent but the full cost of the room, breakfast and dinner for a taster menu which was a large amount to be asked to pay in advance and in my experience of having stayed at many 5 star and 5 star plus hotels around the world in over 40 years of frequent travel was odd indeed. Nevertheless we did book and cough up !
The drive down from us was a mere 47 miles so hardly much of a journey as most of it was on the M40. Through the village of Great Milton but found it odd not to see any signs , not even those AA signs for Le Manoir. By pure chance having seen the Relais and Chateaux logo we stopped at a gateway and by peering through the gloom (our wonderful weather!) we saw that we had arrived at the right place. Please note management of Le Manoir signs required and a lit decent sized sign for those of us who are older and naturally more likely to be able to afford staying that some help in finding you is required.
We drove up and immediately a well dressed young chap came to the car and relieved us of our luggage and car keys. We were greeted at reception with gusto by several members of staff all smiling and well suited etc. A member of staff then walked us over to our allocated room which was called The Dovecote , a converted dove house. She opened the front door and on the left was the bathroom and then a steep spiral staircase to the bedroom with old timber beams above and a musty smell in the room. .
We were shocked as this was clearly not what had been discussed nor booked. We imagined getting up during the night to go to the loo and taking a tumble down the steep spiral staircase. What an error to make having discussed that this was to celebrate a retirement, hardly in our twenties ! The young lady went off to reception and after about ten minutes rung us to say that alternative accommodation had been found. This turned out to be the original booking which was as above.l’Orangerie. The normal rate for the room we were moved to was £750 whereas the Dovecote is a room that even though it isLe Manoir should not be charged at more than £300 including breakfast. Please note when booking…check carefully what you are getting. We were very very shocked by this error as you do not expect this at this level of hotel.
The room was not ready so we were asked if we would care for some tea which we did require and went off to the lounge. We asked for Darjeeling tea to be told that the hotel had run out as it was such a popular tea . This turned out to be the case for Ceylon tea !!! at the rates being charged !!! at least be truthfull and state that the stocktake had gone awry or that the fresh deliveries were late due to global warming. So this was the second shock within an hour of arrival . Nul points in staff training so far ! However the lounge manager was a good egg and did well to regain points by agreeing with the paying guest that the waitress could really have done better than using the lame excuse of the teas being popular especially in England! Naturally he did not present a bill for the tea and this was correct.
The room became ready and what a room it was. It knocked spots of most 5 star hotels. Firstly it turned out to be a large suite which in London would have been priced at well over £2,000 per night. The materials used were wonderful and tastefully done. A four poster bed in the bedroom which when we came back after dinner suddenly had a drop down tv hanging from the ceiling within the four poster. Complimentary water,champagne and madeira in a decanter. Fresh fruit which included the ever so elusive muscat grapes which seem to be only available from Harrods. All these items were restocked the next day/. A superb bathroom with built in tv in the wall above the bath. A wonderful walk in shower for two persons to partake of a shower at the same time. Low floor lighting for nightime. French windows onto the terrace where I could smoke a cigar. Everything was special as was the service here.
We went off for pre dinner cocktails and had wonderful bloody marys which rated top level in quality as it really is an art to get these right. Menus were passed over including the vegetarian menu for my wife. The first night we had the nine course taster for myself and the six course for my wife. With our drinks as we awaited going to the table were delicious little offerings from the chef.. the dinner summons came and we were led into the dinijng room or conservatory of a large scale by a greeter before being passed over to the next member of staff. Most staff were French or appeared to be so and therefore we chatted away in France as so often that is where we go for our many trips. We felt very much by now at home and that was also helped by ordering a great Puligny Montrachet 2008 from the domaine Henri Boillot . it really was a 1cr…clos de la Mouchere. I agree that it had a large mark up but there again it is retailed at a heck of a price anyway. We often stay in Pulighny Montrachet and just so adore the wines from there including others such as Chassagne Montrachet.
I started with a spicy cauliflower soup, a chef’s offering. Then Cornish cod, re pepper and chorizo with a parsley and cockle vinaigrette truly superb, along came autumn veg with butternut squash puree,,sage,cinnamon and port ,good, this was followed by filet of wild Cornish turbot,scallopoyster in a wasabi and cucumber sauce,,,truly magnificent rolling all the taste buds into activity and savouring each and every morsel..seemed a shame to actually have to swallow! Then , roasted Aberdeen beef fillet,smokey mash, wild mushroom and wine jus which was classic and different and of course magnificent.
Cheeses were interesting and then three different desserts which though of interest are not my speciality being a diabetic. The breads served at the table were of course baked on the premises and were unusual and each had a unique flavour. By the time the desserts had arrived even though portions are small being a taster menu one is full and believe me I can eat for Britain when required. It was great to leave a table not requiring a crane to lift me ( | am somewhat of a rotund shape) .we retired to the lounge for some excellent coffee and then to bed.
The next day saw us at breakfast which is served until after ten am. This allowed for a very large choice of items and I settled for the full English which really was so much so that any thought of lunch went straight out of my head. The breakfast was included in our deal but is normally charged at £35 and worth every penny or pound. The sausages were the largest that I have had in a cooked English and I was amazed that the waiter managed to bring the plate to the table without the aid of a relief team following her in case of slipping under the weight. Wonderful bacon, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms fired eggs cooked to perfection and of course all the home baked breads, rolls, croissants etc etc,. fruit salads, Swiss concoctions, james etc etc. the list goes on and on. We left groaning after this onslaught of pleasure and fell asleep in the ever so inviting suite. Off for a walk in the extensive gardens of growing fresh vegetables, wild mushrooms and so on avoiding falling into the little lakes that abound. This was followed by a stroll through Great Milton and back and getting ready eventually after another sleep in the afternoon for dinner. How one has to train for good food !!!
Bloody Marys, same wonderful wine and this time I decided to go for the vegetarian menu. There was a sensational wild mushroom risotto which was to die for. . With regret I did not take notes nor can remember the details of what we had except again we collapsed very happt into bed.
After breakfast we had a little rest and then checked out. My wife thought that we had booked two nights with bed, dinner (taster menu ) and breakfast but there had been condusion. It turned out that when the email had arrived confirming the booking iot had only mentioned the Monday night dinner so my wife had emailed back saying the booking was also made to include Tuesday night dinner. The return email then confirmed that we were booked for dinner. This turned out to be just the reservation for dinner but was not included. The Monday was known as a magic Monday including dinner and b and b for the all in price of £850 which then added to the £750 paid for b and b for the Tuesday added up to the total of £1,600 already paid. The manager explained all which then became clear as to where the confusion lay . I was ready to pay but he then said that as there was confusion in the confirmation and he could see how the error had been made he wanted to comp. the second night dinner which was £268 being taken of the bill. This was very impressive and really is a very rare gesture . we very much appreciated this as it was not obligatory and I could see where both parties were confused but nevertheless we had eaten and enjoyed the dinner/
So in conclusion, is it worth the money ? Yes , a thousand times. . It is a magnificent experience. Mostly the staff were truly great always there with a smile. I did forget to mention that the staff serving dinner or breakfast were just spot on as were the managers. For once the wine waiters knew very well how much white wine to pour into a glass so as not to warm up the wine in the glass. There was never a moment that we had to wait for a refill or for attentive service. The explanations of the courses were always correct. I have read a lot of the reviews and wholeheartily agree with most of them. Those who are anti seem to be for the sake of it such as saying that they left hungry. As I said I am a big eater and trust me I felt just spot on after eating dinner. Full marks to Raymond Blanc on the menu design. Very creative and very balanced with the mouth really using the taste buds to the full. The investment into Le Manoir must have been huge so do not be surprised by the cost. The brigade in the kitchen are well trained as are the vast majority of the front of house teams. In summary we felt that we had visited our favourite place in France without the hassle of getting there. We shall return but I need to find a reason to do so sooner rather than later. Hmmm, could try the old ‘ run out of petrol’ routine when crusing to a stop by the gateway having secretly booked us in for another couple of rooms.

Room Tip: L'Orangerie a must avoid the Dovecoat