“Almost Celebration Perfection at Le Manoir”

Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Great Milton
London, United Kingdom
“Almost Celebration Perfection at Le Manoir”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Husband's 'significant' birthday merited our first visit to Le Manoir, when we stayed in the African themed 'Sandalwood' - a delightful ground floor garden suite.

Our Ruby Wedding beckoned, so for our (...and I can't believe I am writing this) 40th Anniversary, a return visit was called for. This time we stayed in a stunning Art Deco themed suite - 'Anais'. We wallowed in the luxurious surroundings whilst sipping champagne, eating fresh fruit and hand made chocolates whilst idly considering how we were going to transport the beautiful bouquet of a dozen red roses back home without crushing the delicate petals.
It was at this point that I discovered that the roses, chocolates, and signed Raymond Blanc cookery book (whilst exquisitely beribboned and wrapped) had 'Happy 30th Wedding Anniversary' festooned ribbons instead of 40th!

Faux Pas Alert !!!.....30th Wedding is Pearl and 40th Wedding is Ruby! I clearly stated Ruby 40th Anniversary at the time of booking the extortionately priced (but we felt we were worth it) suite.

However, that aside, I could happily have romped off with two magnificent hefty glass sculptures and a Frida Khalo inspired painting which were amongst the many decorative items displayed in our suite...but I just couldn't find a suitcase big enough.

Suddenly the thought occurred that we were due to dine in an hour or so, and I had lost count of the number of chocolates I had consumed. Needless to say, once we had showered and bathed in the huge marble bathroom and were suitabley attired, we mustered the strength to go downstairs through the cobbled courtyard (not exactly suitable for the impossibly high heels I was tottering about in) in order to enter the gastronomic fray.

Think I am fast running out of gastronomic superlatives but the canapes, more champagne, menu decouverte of seven courses, wine flight, coffees and petit fours.......were all beyond fantastic. Got no idea how we devoured all of the foregoing, but rest assured it was probably one of the best culinary experiences we have ever enjoyed.

The following morning whilst breakfasting in the conservatory - husband still had room for cereal, a full 'English' breakfast, followed by toast, home-made jams and a pain au chocolate, whilst I toyed with some muesli and fruit.

After that lot, a very long walk round the magnificent grounds was most definitely the order of the day.

All the hotel staff are to be commended for their committment to making guests feel pampered and special. On our departure, we were even given a small canvas bag containing 2 bottles of water and 4 mini lemon cakes, just in case we needed further sustenance on our way to Bicester! A truly memorable way to celebrate our special anniversary.

Room Tip: You would find it impossible to find a bad room. My adivce - look on the web-site well in advance b...
1 Thank elaine p
LeManoirAdmin, General Manager at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear elaine p

Thank you for taking the time to leave this feedback and for the kind comments therein.

The ribbon that we currently used to wrap books celebrates 30 years of Le Manoir and we are sorry for the confusion that this has caused.

Congratulations to you on celebrating your 40th wedding anniversary and we do hope to welcome you back again in the future.

and the team at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
South Yorkshire
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Had the most amazing time - real luxury. Service was attentive and food fabulous. Can not fault this hotel at all. Was for a special occasion and didn't disappoint. Is worth every penny and would highly recommend. Will definitely return and can't wait until we do ! .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear NTJA

What a succinct review, thank you for leaving this.

Do visit us again soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Beautiful, beautiful, wonderful place. Visited for a special occasion and the staff were really good the food was great and the grounds were superb, utterly beautiful - the whole place is just perfect. I found it a little "older" in terms of the other guests who were present, most were celebrating 25 year anniversaries or similar, but you can see why they had chosen Le Manoir as it definitely is a very special place and has a sparkle.

Would love to go back and catch the lavender in bloom leading up to the house, perhaps for an event or an evening with Raymond himself.

Would be lovely to see him open something similar but of the same standard a bit closer to London soon too...!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank trip a
LeManoirAdmin, General Manager at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear trip a

Thank you for leaving this feedback and for the kind comments you make. The best time to see the lavender in its full glory is mid-July.

We look forward to welcoming you back, maybe even to one of our events in our Privare Dining Room, La Belle Epoque.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

In July, I attended my god-daughter's evening reception following her wedding in Oxford. Le Manoir provided the perfect ending to a wonderful day. We were welcomed by young smiling staff handing out canopies and cocktails. The meal that followed was a truly memorable dining experience with food of the highest standard and beautifully presented. Sadly due to the adverse weather we were unable to have a look around the gardens and that calls for a return visit!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rita P
Dear Rita P

Your review is very much appreciated. What a lovely way to celebrate your god-daughter's birthday.

Please do visit again to enjoy the gardens.

London
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have been lucky enough to have stayed here twice before and also had lunch twice and I absolutely love this place! All stays my husband treated me for a birthday or Christmas present. Both lunches I treated my Mum and once was on an Orient Express day trip.
Jade is an amazing superior suit and I loved the way the massive shower turned into a steam room - love steam rooms! Then I stayed in Sandalwood - deluxe courtyard - a lower grade than Jade but ground floor with access straight into a garden with a statue and I loved the African theme. Booked the same grade for this stay this Thurs. I prefer ground floor and love being by the gardens rather than the main house but that's just my personal preference. I have seen quite a few rooms and everyone whatever grade is amazing and has different a personality to reflect the customers taste. My wish list is L'Orangerie (and of course Blanc de Blanc as the ultimate). For me its the tranquility and relaxation away from work and home spending quality time with my husband for the most special time and memories.....My husband books the Celebration package which includes chilled champagne, red roses, hand made chocs and of course any menu. Even little touches like the pillow spray and beautiful soaps make every thing special and sensory.
What I love about this place is that its country house elegance. I was very lucky that the man (Raymond) himself stopped and spoke to me in the grounds on my first visit - he was on crutches and I was walking to my room - what a lovely man! I love the whole ethos of the place and home grown veg but its down to Raymonds vision, passion and skill that's been passed to his employees that creates the whole exceeding expectations line. I have been to many deluxe top hotels around the world (worked in travel) and Michelin star restaurants and this is my fav. I am a very fussy eater and eat with my mind - don't like meat (with blood) that give it a vet and it would be up on its feet! I hate seafood (insects in amour) and dislike fish (smells horrid) won't eat offal (innards) or anything unusual - yet the kitchen cope with this and offer me at no ext rat charge alternatives on the menu so I enjoy everything - and I do! The garden risotto is amazing and I know to what lengths the tomato juice is distilled as the base. You can taste every single flavour in everything you eat. Everything is amazingly yummy and special. I remember one time having parmesan popcorn outside with pre-dinner drinks which was delicious. The service is great of course as you would expect. Whilst they do not have a spa you can have massages and more in your room plus there are many more activities you can take advantage of like a tour of the wine cellar; fly owls, hawks and more for an our and half in the grounds with an expert; book tours of the area; and much more.
so believe me when I say I can't wait for Thurs!!

Room Tip: all amazing but all so different with styles and features.
Dear DianeCLondon

What a fabulous review, thank you for leaving this. We do hope that you enjoyed your return visit yesterday and that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back on many occasions in the future.

Chipping Campden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Birthday treat - 14th July 2014. Arrived mid afternoon at Le Manoir for tea and a wander around the gardens. Inspirational. Wonderful dinner then an overnight stay . Birthday card and champagne waiting in the delightful bedroom. Fabulous Breakfast. Attentive, polite staff. Quite frankly , the best place I have stayed in Europe.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear jaxpottersabout

What a lovely birthday treat. Thank you for leaving this review.

We do hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We were celebrating our Pearl Anniversary although Le Manoir was unaware of this and only used the Restaurant. We had arrived about an hour before the time suggested in order to look around the gardens. Our arrival was spotted immediately by the employee on the gate and he approached the car with a beaming smile and asked how he could help. We were lent umbrellas as it looked as though they may be needed and he took us to the garden entrance. He knew very little about the gardens in terms of management but we did not find this unusual as it was not his area,
The Maitr'd' had information about the allergies I had and went to some trouble to suggest alternatives which would have been provided at no extra cost - I was wondering if I would have been expected to change an entire course for this but no, it was all ready with tasty alternatives. Everyone behaved in an exemplary fashion and some of the staff found time to chat and tell us a little about themselves and their lives.when asked. The food was excellent - we are used to eating good food cooked really well. We had the 5 course tasting menu and there was special yeast free bread for me. The choice of the other bread was very wide and looked absolutely delicious.
Courses were served with a short wait between each one which we found helpful on all but one occasion when the wait was a little longer . There was enormous attention to detail and we were asked at all but one of the courses if everything was to our satisfaction. We had been asked at the start of the meal if we would like the dishes explained to us, showing that staff serving us had an understanding of what they were serving. Towards the end of the meal, we were asked twice if we wanted any further water and were thoughtfully offered tap water, clearly to save us the expense of buying another bottle of water. At the end we were offered a wide range of teas and coffees served with petit fours.
My only sadness is that not everyone seems to get this same treatment which, for the prices charged is not acceptable. The internal furnishings are beginning to look a little tired and I wonder whether Le Manoir may be resting on its laurels a little. I hope not as this was a once in a lifetime's experience for us and it would be a shame if others in the same position had their one and only evening spoilt.
A lovely evening and thank you to all the staff who came into contact with us on 11th August! i hope you all achieve what you told us you wanted to do eventually!

Dear 108Bubbles

Such a lovely review, thank you for leaving this and for the kind comments you have made.

We do hope that we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future - congratulations on your Pearl Anniversary.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Milton
#2 of 2 in Milton Common
Old Bank Hotel
Old Bank Hotel
#1 of 44 in Oxford

Been to Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons? Share your experiences!