“Magical manoir!”

Price range: US$0 - US$428
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Nestled amidst beautiful gardens in the rural Cotswolds countryside, Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons is a gourmet hotel in Oxfordshire. Located in the picturesque village of Great Milton, this luxury hotel combines breathtaking surroundings with gastronomic excellence. The quaint streets of Oxford city centre are a 20-minute drive, whilst London Heathrow Airport is 60km away. Home to Raymond Blanc's Cookery School, one of Britain's finest culinary academies, this enchanting hotel offers French-inspired cuisine at the 2 Michelin-starred restaurant. Using only the best seasonal produce, freshly picked from the hotel's extensive vegetable and herb gardens, guests are invited to embark on an unforgettable gastronomic adventure.
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I visited Le Manoir with my husband to celebrate my 40th birthday over the Easter weekend, and what a truly amazing time we had! We arrived mid-afternoon and enjoyed a relaxing afternoon tea in one of the welcoming lounges, complete with lemon cake which was just what we needed after a two hour journey. After a leisurely stroll around the lovely gardens we were taken up to our room - Hollyhocks. It was truly beautiful and the attention to detail was outstanding. We were looked after so well by every member of staff and felt truly spoilt for the whole evening. The food and wine were exemplary and we didn't want the evening to end. The next morning (Easter Sunday) after a delicious breakfast, we joined in the Easter egg hunt and our weekend was made complete by the arrival of Raymond Blanc, who hosted it. He was lovely and meeting him made an already special weekend truly magical. If you ever get the opportunity to visit Le Manoir grab it with both hands, you won't be disappointed!

LeManoirAdmin, General Manager at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear shill74

What a fabulous way to celebrate your 40th Birthday and thank you for leaving this review, it was a delight to read.

Hollyhock, which as you know is right above the front door overlooking the courtyard was originally the master bedroom when the main house was built, and is a very special room (as are all of our rooms).

We run the Easter Egg hunt every year and this is always great fun for adults and children and Raymond.

We do hope you will visit again.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I went here for my wife's 40th - she came too! We had the seasonal tasting menu, which was very good: the ingredients were first class, the flavours great and the service top level. There was nothing to fault about it. It was all very good.

The only personal note I'd make is that I found the menu 'traditional'' - there wasn't any sense of surprise or 'kerpow!' through the 5 courses. It was all 'classic', high quality, well executed cooking, but I guess that's what it says on the tin!

Dear Simon S

Thank you for choosing Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons to celebrate your wife's special birthday.

Your comments with regard to the menu were very interesting and Raymond has taken note of these.

We do hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We went to celebrate a 70th birthday, travelling from London. The journey was long but well worth it. We were greeted at the door and from then on the service was almost immaculate. Not, I am happy to say, obsequious but friendly, efficient and timely. We enjoyed the environment, the gardens, the food and the whole experience, the explanations we received from the person serving the cheese course were positively educational. I thought the five course lunch was very good value at £79 although you need to be aware that it is all the extras that add up. My only concern was a member of staff who maybe did not know the difference between being friendly and familiar. I do not think it is appropriate to address a group 3 70yr old women as 'girls'.

LeManoirAdmin, General Manager at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear camillat39

Thank you for leaving your review.

It was wonderful to read that you had enjoyed 70th birthday celebrations.

We would like to apologise for the over-familiarity of one of the members of the team, please rest assured we will address this issue and are grateful to know about this.

We hope you will visit again when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

From the moment we arrived, we were treated to an evening of fine food and impeccable service in a perfect setting. Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons really is as special as you could hope for!

The evening began with drinks and canapés in the lounge whilst perusing the menu, of which there are three options. Either a five course, or seven course set menu or a la carte was available, each showcasing the best of this season's produce. We decided to go for the a la carte, made our choices and relaxed with our drinks until we were escorted into the dining room. The conservatory was very light and airy with a lovely buzz of excitement from our fellow diners, I'm sure most guests were there for some sort of celebration so there was no hint of any 'stuffiness'.

Each course was beautifully presented and served, even the freshly made selection of bread rolls was the best I'd ever tasted. The wine we'd ordered was decanted and served to us by a very helpful and friendly waiter. In fact, the service is what really makes the difference. All staff we met were friendly and just very professional, they are a credit to the establishment.

Of course, the whole point of a meal at Le Manoir is to enjoy the very best food available and it certainly doesn't fail on that. I can thoroughly recommend the Veal sweetbreads with morels and toasted hazelnuts, they were deliciously creamy and soft. The main course of Aberdeen Angus beef was as tender and richly flavoured as you can imagine, coupled with a red wine jus it was the ideal choice for a true carnivore! The exotic fruit raviloe, with kaffir lime and a coconut ice cream is a speciality of Le Manoir and needless to say, was a work of art. After I'd got over the guilt of actually eating it, it was a delicious, fresh and vibrant finish to my rich and indulgent meal. After all of that, a beautiful chocolate torte birthday cake with after dinner coffee just about sent me off the scale of happiness and contentment!!

Thanks to everyone involved, both in the kitchens preparing the best meal I've ever had, to the excellent front of house staff. You all made my 'big' birthday one to remember!

Dear GDP747

Such a brilliantly detailed review for which we are grateful.

Please think of us when you are planning future celebrations.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This review is likely to mirror most of the previous reviews below as Le Manoir really is as good as others have been saying it is.

The food and service are outstanding. The setting is beautiful.

My partner and I opted for the A La Carte menu which had some fantastic seasonal dishes to choose from. Everything we ate was wonderful, from the canapes and pre-starter through the cheese, desserts and petit fours.

Whilst I accept that food and service of this calibre comes with a price tag, I have to question how certain dishes are priced. The A La Carte fillet of beef, for example, came in at approximately £54 for a main course. No problems there. A small starter of asparagus, hens egg and cured ham was £44 from memory. Whilst it was delicious, £44 is rather eye-wateringly pricey for starter (especially given that the large mains, using expensive ingredients, are only a small amount more). This isn't a criticism as I don't regret paying the money in the slightest.

Well, well worth a visit.

Dear wh5447

Thank you for writing your review.

The a la carte is a fantastic menu and we were delighted to note that you had enjoyed the dishes that you chose.

We do hope you will visit us again.