“Everything we expected and more”

Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons
Price range: US$0 - US$428
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Nestled amidst beautiful gardens in the rural Cotswolds countryside, Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons is a gourmet hotel in Oxfordshire. Located in the picturesque village of Great Milton, this luxury hotel combines breathtaking surroundings with gastronomic excellence. The quaint streets of Oxford city centre are a 20-minute drive, whilst London Heathrow Airport is 60km away. Home to Raymond Blanc's Cookery School, one of Britain's finest culinary academies, this enchanting hotel offers French-inspired cuisine at the 2 Michelin-starred restaurant. Using only the best seasonal produce, freshly picked from the hotel's extensive vegetable and herb gardens, guests are invited to embark on an unforgettable gastronomic adventure.
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

There is not much to say except all was absolutely fantastic. What a great stay and eating experience. Made a special occasion even more special.

LeManoirAdmin, General Manager at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Robert B

Exactly to the point, thank you for this review.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Organised this as a birthday treat for my husband and just had lunch on a lovely May afternoon. Warm & friendly welcome with a relaxed atmosphere but given the sunshine we were not asked whether we wanted to sit inside or out with our aperitif. Sophisticated menu which we took a while to decide over. Restaurant comfortable but a little lacking in atmosphere. Attentive service which was a bit on the slow side much to the disgruntlement of some Americans at the next door table!. Too long a wait for the first course to arrive really, but we were treated to their freshly baked bread rolls whilst waiting. I looked forward to biting into the mini-baguettes which looked divine but lacked that wonderful french taste which was a real pity. The first course of sweetbreads was delicious my husband exclaimed, whilst goats cheese ravioli was a little over powered by the strong cheese, but beautifully executed. Fillet of beef perfectly cooked (again exclaimed my husband) and well washed down with a glass of Gevrey-Chambartin. The moroccan-themed aubergine with chick peas & marjol dates although was undoubtedly well put together, seemed to lack something which I couldn't put my finger on. Worth making mention of the pressed cherry tomato liquor which was utterly sublime and their technique explained by the informative Maitre D'. We passed on pudding and had coffee in the glorious garden surrounded by the birds singing and the sunshine periodically popping its head out. All in all a lovely lazy English summer afternoon, with a totally enjoyable lunch, but didn't quite achieve the excellent star I was so very much hoping for. Wouldn't put us off going there again but wouldn't rush back .....

LeManoirAdmin, General Manager at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Lorna R

Thank you for your feedback. We do hope you will accept our apologies for the disappointments you experienced on this occasion but do hope that this will not deter you from returning in the future.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Having been looking forward to a trip to Le Manoir for many years, my husband and I finally made it last week. We are foodies and have eaten in some very good restaurants and so have something to compare it to.
We were greeted nicely, and there were plenty of staff, the sitting rooms and canapes and the gardens were lovely.
We opted for the tasting menu, but it was really quite disappointing in the lack of flair and innovation and its fairly basic ingredients. We started with a potato and wild garlic veloute, which was nice, and then a confit salmon, which was cooked nicely but a bit boring, then an egg and wateress, which again was just boring, the quail however was very good indeed, and I enjoyed a strawberry and meringue desert, but this too felt a bit 'safe'. I am aware that the money we pay goes on the large staff and the setting rather than the cost of the ingredients, but if using a fairly standard ingredient like an egg, there really does need to be some serious intervention by the staff to bring it up to the sort of experience diners are expecting at somewhere like this. The restaurant was very busy and with plenty of staff we were efficiently served, so efficiently in fact that I had to ask for them to slow it down a bit as there seemed to be undue haste.
Le Manoir seems to be trading on its past reputation, and its idylllic setting, and does not seem to be keeping up with the raised standards of cooking in many restaurants across the UK.
All in all it was a nice lunch out, and I'm glad I went but nowhere as special as it should have been particularly for the price. If you are considering this as a gastronomic visit you could be better served elsewhere.

2  Thank WiltshireLiz1

Dear WiltshireLiz

Thank you for your feedback. We were sorry to learn of the disappointment you felt with some aspects of our menu and speed of service. We do hope that this visit will not deter you from returning in the future.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Our second visit and I have to say I enjoyed it more, think because last time the weather was hot and we all sat outside for aperitifs but on this visit it was cold so we sat in the lounge area which was more relaxing and felt much more comfortable and cozy,
The meal was as wonderful as you would expect we sat at a nicer table as well, however, again very disappointed as no sign of the great man himself doesn't seem as if is ever there told he was off travelling, to be expected I suppose but I would like to think that one day I can say I've been there when he's actually been there......

Dear Angelica1Kent

How wonderful to hear that you had enjoyed your 2nd visit more than your 1st. Raymond is at Le Manoir 5 out of 7 days most weeks (when commitments allow) and it is such a pity that he was not here on this occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your 3rd visit.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We've been coming back to Le Manoir for the last 5 years at least 3 times a year; it's been so luxurious and so special we have always saved up and spurned other places as we love it so much.
However, we stayed the other night, and have to say seemed to have an off day...things just don't seem so generous. Usually my wife gets her own veggie canapés; not this time...portions definitely smaller; 5 years ago the decouverte menu was £95 for 10 courses, now it's £154 for 7....those luxury touches seem to be diminishing.
Oh, and when we arrive you shouldn't need to ask if we've stayed before.
Will of course be returning and the customer service is immaculate, but less frequently if things continue as they are

4  Thank Juanverada

Dear Juanverada

Thank you for leaving your review. We are so sorry that you left feeling disappointed. You are quite right that we should always recognise regular guests and hope you will accept our apologies for the lack of recognition on this occasion.

We hope that your previous experiences will persuade you that these were one-off shortcomings and that you will visit us again when we hope to restore your faith in our reputation.