“Close to perfection - but without a ‘wow’ factor!”

Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons Restaurant
Price range: US$0 - US$428
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Nestled amidst beautiful gardens in the rural Cotswolds countryside, Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons is a gourmet hotel in Oxfordshire. Located in the picturesque village of Great Milton, this luxury hotel combines breathtaking surroundings with gastronomic excellence. The quaint streets of Oxford city centre are a 20-minute drive, whilst London Heathrow Airport is 60km away. Home to Raymond Blanc's Cookery School, one of Britain's finest culinary academies, this enchanting hotel offers French-inspired cuisine at the 2 Michelin-starred restaurant. Using only the best seasonal produce, freshly picked from the hotel's extensive vegetable and herb gardens, guests are invited to embark on an unforgettable gastronomic adventure.
Reviewed 27 August 2019 via mobile

Our weekend at Le Manoir was wonderful with both the accommodation and cookery school brilliant (see separate reviews).

Possibly the least ‘satisfying’ part was our dinner. Everything was close to being perfect: the friendliness and attentiveness of the staff, the quality and presentation of the food as well as the attention to detail. Hence the highest rating.

However, while the overall experience was excellent, we both did miss the ‘wow’ factor we found in other top establishments. The food was superb but not very innovative (I shouldn’t compare restaurants with Moma) and the interior not extremely luxurious or warm. Note: the exterior of Le Manoir is just lovely (with the beautiful gardens and perfect lawns for a game of croquet or petanque).

1  Thank 588jurgenr
Write a reviewReviews (2,594)

Reviewed 26 August 2019

My wife and I have long wanted a weekend at Le Manoir and finally we have managed it. We stayed in 'Hollyhock' in the main house which is a beautiful suite, The tasting menu was lovely, and the house and gardens were stunning.
Cost is a little eye-watering because they really do know how to charge, but we were expecting that, such a reputation comes at a cost.
My only slight gripe was some of the costs did seem excessive, £10 for coffee and £25 for a sandwich at lunchtime didnt seem great value, dinner is expensive however with the quality, imagination and dedication involved i have no quarms with that, If you want fine dining at its best you have to expect this.
Staying here is a memory that we will keep forever. All of the staff are very attentive and the service is excellent.

Date of visit: June 2019
2  Thank PhilipStew
Reviewed 26 August 2019

My partner and I have been fortunate to have lunch at Le Manoir on a number of occasions and the reason we return each year is that the experience is superlative in every sense. This is a truly special place where the food is outstanding, the service immaculate and a walk in the lovely gardens provides a fantastic end to your visit. We always try to come in the summer, to give us the best chance of being able to explore the extensive ornamental and kitchen gardens.

We visited on one Sunday recently and enjoyed the six course “les saveurs du Manoir” menu. My partner has certain dietary preferences (things he doesn’t like rather than can’t eat) - we had notified these when booking and he was well taken care of by small changes to the menu. Our six courses consisted of chilled gazpacho, confit of Cornish cod, garden vegetable and herb risotto, poached Cotswold chicken, Le Manoir’s take on Peach Melba and raspberry and beetroot chocolate crumble. We both chose (for an additional charge) to substitute the peach dessert for choices from the a la carte menu. I had the famous le cafe creme - having seen it prepared by a contestant on Masterchef I’d been really longing to try it, and my partner had his favourite apricot and meringue combo in an edible cassoulet dish. In addition to this six course menu, the canapés and petit fours were exquisite and the range of bread offered is huge: the bacon rolls and mini baguettes are our favourites. Everything is clearly made with incredible attention to detail.

Drinks-wise, I started with a Bellini, followed by a glass of Welsh Chardonnay (I had no idea there were vineyards in Wales) and a French rose. My partner had an Icelandic white ale. There is no hard-sell from the sommelier - order what you like.

There is a specific table we like to request and we were again fortunate to be shown to it. All of the staff we met were courteous, gracious and friendly. What I particularly like about Le Manoir is the way all guests are welcomed and made to feel comfortable, whether they visit regularly or are there for the first time. The atmosphere is relaxed and inclusive. Towards the end of our visit, we had a lovely conversation with one of the waiters about the lengths Raymond Blanc has gone to in sourcing his tea and coffee (the best coffee I’ve ever tasted).

Sure, Le Manoir is a very expensive treat for most of us, but in my view, is worth every penny. It’s not just a very nice lunch, it’s a memorable event. With the quality of the cooking and the service, you can see where your money is spent. I cannot speak too highly of Le Manoir - we’ll be back - and hopefully for an overnight stay next time.

Reviewed 26 August 2019 via mobile

Visited to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. 5 stars are simply not enough for the restaurant - the food was exquisite, beautifully prepared with very interesting flavour combinations; the wine flight accompanying the 7 course set menu was delicious ; the service was flawless, attentive but not intimidating and nothing was too much trouble to explain. The price is well justified bearing in mind the superb quality and attention to detail throughout. It certainly is well worth a visit and have no doubt, it will be an experience you will never forget!

Reviewed 25 August 2019

We have lunch here on a weekday in the summer every year. It was a Thursday this year and it was very busy.

The start was a little disconcerting. No one, unusually, welcomed us outside the door and when we went through to the restaurant reception area it took a while for someone to greet us and take us in.

Most year's we start with drinks out in the garden with our canapés but this year it was a little breezy so we had our drinks in one of the lounges. The lounges are very nice, particularly so in the winter when they feel so cosy. The service in the lounge was good, this, it would appear, was where all the staff were!

We had our pre-lunch drinks and lovely canapes and having decided we were going to have the tasting menu were shown to our table. We had the same table as last year. We think it is the best table for 2 in the place, being right at the far end of the nice bright conservatory.

The service was really friendly and very good. Each course being brought to us and the explained. Being Raymond Blanc's food it is obviously French, however, much of the produce comes from the extensive garden they have. Whilst I eat at all the best restaurants and therefore obviously a lot of French influenced food, I am nervous about the richness of French food. Here there is no need. Whilst the food is full of flavour it also manages it without being overly rich. The menu felt very summery and by the end of what was a significant meal I felt well fed but not overfed, which is the best way.

It would be fair to say over the last two years we found a couple of little things not done in the way a place as good as this should. They are not very important but they are a little surprising. This has not stopped us from having a great time and great meal in a wonderful and relaxing venue, nor will it stop us from having lunch next year. As we go to so many good restaurants we look for 100%, but 98% is still great!

1  Thank Mike C