“We got engaged!!!”

Price range: US$0 - US$428
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Nestled amidst beautiful gardens in the rural Cotswolds countryside, Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons is a gourmet hotel in Oxfordshire. Located in the picturesque village of Great Milton, this luxury hotel combines breathtaking surroundings with gastronomic excellence. The quaint streets of Oxford city centre are a 20-minute drive, whilst London Heathrow Airport is 60km away. Home to Raymond Blanc's Cookery School, one of Britain's finest culinary academies, this enchanting hotel offers French-inspired cuisine at the 2 Michelin-starred restaurant. Using only the best seasonal produce, freshly picked from the hotel's extensive vegetable and herb gardens, guests are invited to embark on an unforgettable gastronomic adventure.
Reviewed 8 September 2019 via mobile

We visited Le Manoir on our 5 year anniversary as a surprise for my girlfriend.

Our booking was in late July & were very lucky with the weather - perfect sunshine to enjoy a stroll around the gardens, which is where I popped the question! Followed by a few glasses of celebratory bubbly!

We had booked the tasting menu, which was fantastic from start to finish:

Vegetable soup, which was phenomenal (I never thought I’d call a vegetable soup phenomenal, but it was!!) Tomato & burrata, courgette flower stuffed with crab, brill, scallops & wasabi, roasted duck with spiced cherry (which was my favourite course), chocolate & coffee mouse, blackcurrant meringue with vanilla & rosemary to finish.

We also had the cheese course, which was very good indeed. A very helpful waiter, loads of cheese (some places can be a bit miserly with their helpings!) & delicious accompaniments!

Their cocktails are also worth a try, I very much like to try new cocktails, not the classics! The dill infused gin cocktail was top drawer!

Our overall experience was excellent, the staff were very attentive, the building & gardens are stunning & the food was faultless! I think we’ll be celebrating a few more anniversaries here!

Date of visit: July 2019
Write a reviewReviews (2,594)

Reviewed 7 September 2019

Le manor au quay Saigon’s

As a retirement gift from my company I was given vouchers for my husband and I to attend an dinner and evening with Raymond in April 2019.

However, the evening left me with mixed feelings for the following reasons...

The dining room was very elegant and guests sat at tables of eight.
The two starters were well prepared and quite tasty.
The strawberry desert was absolutely wonderful.
The meursault wine was very good and they served one of my favourite wines - a Jurancon.

However,
When we arrived staff couldn’t find our booking and showed us to a lounge whilst they sorted the confusion out. This also happened to the two guests standing at reception behind us. Reception seemed very amateurish.
We were eventually shown to the orangery and offered champagne but no one offered to take my wrap until I asked where I could leave it.
We then stood for almost an hour before the canapés were brought out. By this time I was getting hungry, but those serving kept going to groups at the other end of the room. Eventually we had to ask to be served.
Whilst the starters were good, the main course was mediocre and I felt I could do better at home, plus the vegetables were the same as that served with the starters.
Raymond talked between courses to all guests (collectively) and questions were welcomed from guests towards the end of the meal. However, a couple of tables monopolised the conversation which was disappointing as I was unable to raise my query.
The petite fours looked lovely. However, I say “looked” as the other greedy guests on our table ate them all before we had chance to try one. The restaurant would do well to provide diners with their own small plate to avoid this.

Overall, for a four course meal costing £500 i was disappointed and apart from the desert, thought it a very ordinary meal. I would not add it to my bucket list to attend again. Over the last 40 years I have had many, many meals in France both in high end and homely rustic establishments and I felt le Manoir fell very short of my expectations as the food was quite ordinary and uninspiring.

I would add that we viewed the gardens the following day and they are very beautiful and worth seeing.

Date of visit: April 2019
6  Thank Breaktaker
Reviewed 5 September 2019 via mobile

I have waited a year since I stayed here for my 60th birthday in order to write this review because I wanted to make a few more comparisons with other top rated hotels. Staying at Le Manoir was on my ‘to do’ list. I discovered a beautiful but horribly overpriced venue which, as has been described by others, is just a money-making machine. You can sense the embarrassment on the part of the staff (who one presumes are on not much more than minimum wage) when they present you with the enormous bill.

While I have huge respect for Raymond Blanc as a chef, it has to be recognised that he sold this place to Belmond years ago, that others cook in the kitchen and that the overpriced rooms and food, though good, are not THAT good and certainly no better than many other hotels charging a third of the price - in reality very poor value.

Good luck to Belmond if they can continue to lever the Blanc brand to maximise their profits. I certainly will not be contributing to them again.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank 676russelld
Reviewed 2 September 2019 via mobile

I have been visiting/ staying at le manoir for over 30 years - over 20 times.

How it used to be:
We had our wedding night here. We loved the personal touches, the little welcome-back cards, appearing to remember us, etc. And the food was sublime. Expensive, but wonderful. Again, there were lovely surprises during the meal: unexpected palate cleansers, tasty amuse-bouches and original ‘extras’ between courses.

Now:
We went this weekend for our 25th anniversary, the first visit since it was sold, to find all such touches... gone.

What used to be a delightful, thoughtful, generous experience is now a streamlined, impersonal, corporate, money-making machine. We struggled to (and didn’t) find a bottle of wine for under £100. The food was good, not remarkable.

It is an amazing venue, but the magic it once had, that made it (and us) feel so special, is no longer there.

Date of visit: September 2019
8  Thank 473lilyd
Reviewed 31 August 2019 via mobile

We booked this day visit to Le Manoir as it’s a place we have wanted to visit for a long time.
It was a terrific day and we met some great people who were enjoying the day too.

The staff were all without exception wonderfully attentive, friendly and plainly happy in their work.

The demonstrations were really informative, relaxed and quite fun, and we are keen to return for a cookery school now.

The champagne reception was truly magnificent, with a warm sunny day in the walled garden, champagne and gorgeous canapés what could be wrong.

Lunch was truly exceptional, but having two of my favourite ingredients, beetroot in the starter and blackcurrant in the dessert, it was always going to be good, fortunately I was careful not to stain my shirt !!

We have had fine food before in some great restaurants but the food we had was sublime, who would have thought a beetroot terrine could be so tasty, or chicken so satisfying and a meringue so perfect, my wife even said the mashed potato was better than mine (gasp)

The icing on the cake was Raymond Blanc appeared to see us and we further met him in the garden as we took a stroll around the grounds, he really is such a gentleman and as charming as he appears on TV, one of life’s real people.

A Big THANK YOU to all the staff for giving us such a memorable day, and to Raymond for being..... himself

We do look forward to revisiting for a cookery course or indeed a full dinner and stay package sometime soon.

Date of visit: August 2019