“How much more can I take!”

Brown Trout Golf & Country Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aghadowey
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I returned to the Brown Trout with my whole family a fortnight ago. Well we all had a great time. Food was as good as ever and some of us travelled into Donegal for part of a day. It seems that people just keep on going back which is a massive recommendation in itself. My wife and I plan to return for a Sunday night break in November. The only negative was I put on half a stone which is starting to come off again. I must say to Jane I was forced fed on this occasion.........not! Thanks to all the staff, you are all special!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 July 2014

A lovely place to relax in. Jane and her staff were very efficient and friendly all of the time but what really made this place special for me was the wonderful standard of food whether it be breakfast, lunch or dinner.

The menus held plenty of variety but the special thing for me was that the food was so tasty, very well presented and cooked to perfection. To get all three correct seems to be difficult for restaurants in Northern Ireland but the Brown Trout gets top marks in my books.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Had dinner here recently on the recommendation of a friend. The service was excellent, the menu was varied and the food itself was excellent (I had the homemade lasagne). If i'm in the area again I will definitely go back. (Didn't stay at the hotel so can't review the rooms)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tamworth1980
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Another lovely stay. The rooms are big, clean and quiet. The last time we stayed it was February and it was cosy with open fires and red wine, this time was summer so was quaint with hanging baskets and cold beer. The location is ideal for visiting the causeway etc one way and castlerock etc the other way. The food is lovely and rooms ideal as we take our dog. The staff are friendly and welcoming. If I have anything negative to say is that the wifi is rubbish and the drinks have got a tad expensive but all in all another great, relaxing stay.

1  Thank LornieM
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Booked a two night B&B/one night dinner combo to stay back in May this year. We wanted somewhere were we could head away with our little pooch - young Beagle "Butters". From the moment we arrived the staff couldn't do enough for us and made us feel at home and at ease with our beloved dog. The rooms are large - two double beds, and we had both a bath and "Wet room" shower area which was beneficial for cleaning our dog after an adventure on the beaches in Portrush. The grounds are beautifully kept and as mentioned the beaches are only a short drive away. Perfect base for exploring the local area. Normally the food in other hotels in the package is from a set menu and extra has to be paid for "premium" items like steak for example, but this wasn't the case here! the food is amazing, tasty and very filling - between the ample choices for breakfast and the three courses for dinner you will definitely not go hungry. Owner "Jane" was lovely and this really is like a home from home and there is an added bonus of free wifi.

Highly recommended to all my friends and i have booked a return trip for August taking my sister and her partner too.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MuggyFug
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I cannot speak highly enough of Jane and her entire team at The Brown Trout,they all provide the perfect ingredients for a thoroughly relaxing weekend.We stayed in one of the wonderful cottages and also a room in the main building, both were very well appointed and dog friendly which was a major plus point as we were accompanied by our two rescue spaniels.From the moment you arrive you are welcomed by every member of the team and this instantly gives you that home from home atmosphere.Whilst I acknowledge the comments re the décor that other reviewers have made, I personally felt that it rather added to the homely feel of the whole establishment.We ate breakfast,lunch and dinner in the hotel and again have nothing but praise for the quality,variety and quantity of the delightful food that was served.It is totally apt that the ethos at The Brown Trout is to create lifetime customers and I am happy to report that I will certainly be joining the many people that return year after year to this wonderful family establishment . Olga Gilchrist

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Just returned from an overnight stay at Brown Trout. The décor could do with an update but apart from that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely return. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful and the food was excellent. Our room was large and the shower was excellent. Again the décor and furniture in the room could do with a makeover but it was clean and the bed was very comfortable. As we hadn't stayed here before we only booked for the one night but we were sorry that we hadn't booked for two.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aghadowey
Lodge Hotel
#1 of 3 in Bushmills
Galgorm Resort & Spa
Galgorm Resort & Spa
#1 of 6 in Ballymena

Been to Brown Trout Golf & Country Inn? Share your experiences!