“Perfect lunch spot”

Price range: US$16 - US$27
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We arrived at Burpham to do a pub walk only to find the George & Dragon is shut for refurbishment for the next month or so. Luckily for us the Burpham Country House has started to do lunches mid-week. We had a fantastic lunch (I had a posh salad with amazing hand-cut chips, Tim had the chilli), all washed down with chocolate mousse and a proper italian coffee. It was a real surprise, top-notch food and for a very reasonable price. We shall definately go back even if the pub is open!

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Although off the beaten track this restaurant is well worth a visit. The old village vicarage has been converted into a small hotel and restaurant in lovely garden. We met for a ten-person family reunion lunch (some of the family stayed at the hotel as well). It was Sunday, so there was a fixed menu for 24 pounds (2 courses) or 28 pounds (three courses). We all had the three courses, so there was a wide range of food ordered. Everyone cleaned their plates for all three courses. I had the ham hock terrine, the roast lamb, and the cheese plate. This was the best meal I ate during a week long business trip that brought me to England from Canada and took me to some good restaurants in London, Bristol and Dublin. The lamb in particular was the best I have eaten for a long time, and the sampling of local cheeses was outstanding. I had a few spoonfuls of some of the other desserts and they were also tasty.
It would be hard to classify the style of cooking, as I am not a "foodie". It was much more than good quality "home cooking", but avoided some of the bizarre features of modern cuisine (such as the foams and emulsions). The sauces were light and very tasty, and the ingredients seemed to be very high quality.

snappergirl, Owner at Burpham Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2013

Thanks so much for your kind review. Producing good food is our passion, and we do take great care over the ingredients and presentation. I'm glad you enjoyed your day. I thought I'd mention that the Sunday Lunch is even cheaper than you said- it is £18 for two courses, and £24 for three courses.

Regards

Jackie and Steve

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Went for my wife's birthday and was so so happy. The food was amazing, beautiful, local and very tasty. The sticky date pudding was unreal. Reasonable prices so great value. Can't wait to visit again in the summer. Hosts and owners very friendly.

Reviewed 20 February 2013

This was my first visit to this restaurant. It is an 18th Century building which retains its character and is situated right in the heart of the coutry near Arundel West Sussex overlooking the South Downs,
It is owned and run by a husband and wife team Steve and Jackie. Steve is the chef and Jackie is front of house. On talking to them we learnt that they have retired from corporate jobs and taken this hotel and restaurant on in their later years..
We were cordially greeted and as we waited in the lounge to peruse the menus we were each given a complimentary glass of pink champagne.
After ordering from the very comprehensive menu we were shown to our table in the small well appointed dining room.
The food was nouvea cuisine at its most finest, well presented and tasting equsite. The wine chosen complimented our meal perfectly.

After our meal we retired to the lounge for after dinner dirnks and coffee and mine hosts joined us intermittently for stimulating conversation..

For cat lovers like myself there was a bonus as two delightful black and white cats were curled up on their designated seats and enjoyed any fuss that was made of them.

All in all this restaurant ticked all the boxeds for me and my companions. Quiet restful atmsphere no loud intrusive music. Hosts skilled in customer relations with lively interesting but non intrusive conversation. Food of the highest standard of cuisine.
I commend this restaurant to all those diners with a discerning palate. Full details can be seen on their website.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Staff not pleassnt. Food average -good but small portions and not hot.

1  Thank iowlobster