“Beautiful home-away-from-home”

Dining options: Reservations
London, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful home-away-from-home”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I have always found Burpham Country House an amazing place to stay. We first found it a few years ago and try to back at least once a year ever since. The building is lovely, warm and inviting, just like the host and hostess. The bar is always well supplied and run on the honour system, so you can get nicely squiffy in a comfy chair in peace and quiet, without anybody looking over your shoulder, before you sit down to a wonderful meal, cooked by the host Steve, who is also good for a chin wag about anything and everything later in the evening. The garden is also a very nice place to spend a few hours on a sunny afternoon.
It's a short drive down a very quiet road to Burpham itself and it feels like you have been transported to another universe when you arrive; nestled comfortably in a small valley, surrounded by the bucolic national park of the South Downs is simply out of this world.

• Visited September 2012

Worthing, West Sussex
“A Glorious Lunch - Very Special Indeed.”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I love this place. The owners are so kind and warm but I want to focus this time on the food. I wish I had written this straight away, but it has now been a couple of weeks since I was there and the details will escape me! My wife and I popped over from Worthing for lunch (our anniversary - we got married in Burpham). I enjoyed a G and T in the guest lounge - think the wife ordered a glass of wine with her meal as she was driving (hurrah!). Miriam ordered the mezze as her main course and I ordered the plaice. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was so good. I cannot fully explain how good it was here - just take my word for it. It was a real winner! Perfectly cooked fillets of plaice with a glorious "stuffing" of crab and coriander - it was such a glorious dish and I loved eating it - a wonderful moment. It was so carefully prepared and beautifully presented and I encourage everyone who loves food (and fish) to give this a go. Get there asap - I hope it remains on the menu. Steve will cook what is seasonal and what is currently on offer through his local providers - I think his fish comes from Littlehampton.

I seem to remember us ordering three desserts - a panna cotta flavoured with something from their kitchen garden - Lemon Verbena. This was superb and the Lemon Verbena was subtle yet present - a perfect balance. We also ordered a selection of local icecreams and finished with an affogato - giving us that lovely coffee kick at the end of the meal.

The warm-hearted and wonderfully skilled owner and chef, Steve, came and chatted with us - I celebrated that glorious fish with him - what a master! - and we talked about life in general...and the teaching profession ( my wife and I are currently in it).

To be honest, I can't summarise here how lovely our lunch was. It was fabulous. The food was exceptionally good - especially that fish. If you want to treat yourself and enjoy a meal that rewards you for treating yourselves (so often we are disappointed and think - could have done better at home) - get over to the Burpham Country House. It delivers every time. I love it! Steve and Jackie deserve the highest praise not just for their warm welcome but for food that very special indeed.

• Visited August 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Please dont tell eveyone - we want to keep it to ourselves”
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

We were looking for somewherenew to go to with friends so hopped onto trip and hunted around. None of us had ever been here before but the reviews, house and pics looked great.

Driving there was so wonderful as we headed into the countyside and as the sun was setting we saw the house on the right. The parking is limited but not a problem. We sat outside and the owner served us our drink whilst we waited for our friends to arrive. Menus were letf for us and we were presented with a wonderful choice of local produce at very reasonable prices. Friends arrived and had a drink whilt we chatted to the owner and heard the history of the stunning country house.

We we escorted to our table and served the most wonderful 3 course meal. I chose the mixed meats to start followed by duck which was cooked rare but to perfection. Our host and her husband were very welcoming and were happy to spend time chatting to guests.

If you are looking for a charming meal with friends then this is a gem of a find so please dont tell everyone as want to keep it to ourselves.

Visited July 2013
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unexpected and superb”
Reviewed 11 July 2013

Thank you to the other reviewers here; at your advice we took a friend here for lunch and it was excellent, including perfectly cooked fish and a sensational burger. The setting is lovely and we had it entirely to ourselves on a Friday afternoon.
The service was very friendly, including the chef/owner, who wandered out randomly and gave us some tips about cooking equipment.

In short, try this place now, and tell your friends.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank L B
Pulborough, United Kingdom
“Great Rural Fine Dining Experience”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Great Individual Attention and Welcome from Hosts.
Great food with interesting but gentle flavours.
Great ambience.