“Would most certainly return!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ardencote

Ardencote
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Claverdon
Grantham, United Kingdom
“Would most certainly return!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed with a friend Saturday 22nd March for the S Factor break. I will be honest after reading the reviews on here i was a little worried, because were very harsh. However, I am very please we made the booking.

We arrived about 12ish and was welcomed at the door by a lovely chap who led us to reception to check us in. Fortunately our room (215) was ready so he then showed us to the separate building, after he has given us a full description of where everything was, confirming our reservation for dinner in the Lodge that evening.

Due to the time we decided to dump our bags and go and grab lunch. Included was a light lunch and a glass of wine. There was a selection of salads, and there were Jackets spuds (bit under cooked but once slapped the cheese and butter on were very tasty) and bread and some lovely desserts. After lunch we went to the spa and we were given the tour, which was informative and extremely helpful. We went back to the room to find our free sparkling wine had been delivered, so we got changed in to our robes etc and took the wine with us. We spent a couple of hrs around the pool before our 1st treatment. We had back massages at 3.30 then an express facial at 5pm. I have to be honest, the facial was amazing, however the massage i felt was rushed and i was only in the room for maybe 20 mins. That is including being left at the start to get ready and then time to relax afterwards. We maybe didnt use all the facilities but were very impressed. One problem i feel should be looked into is the use of the hot tub. There of course are large parties of girls, and on this particular day they seemed to hog the hot tub. I appreciated they were there for a reason, but so were we, and we didnt get the benefit of using this at all. Maybe the hotel should either put another one in, or maybe put a limit on the time? Just a thought as we felt we missed out.

We headed back to the room and went to the Brasserie bar for a pre dinner cocktail. Unfortunately the young lad had to search for a menu, and even then dont think we got the right ingredients. However was very nice! Went to the Lodge and had a beautiful 3 course meal, with good wine (must admit i didnt check the dates out, but i went with the waiters recommendation and had the Sauvignon Blanc). Portions are small, but what you would expect in that kind of recommendation. I am pleased it was included in the DBB rate, as i do think £30 pp is rather steep!

We went back to the Brasserie after dinner and had another bottle of wine. Had an early night, and got to breakfast in the conservatory at 8.15ish. Early is good as it gets busy!! Warning... we thought it would be a nice idea to sit at the window, dont! Its too blooming hot and the sun comes right at you!! The breakfast was lovely, bacon a little underdone for my liking but time it right and when they bring fresh there was some slightly cripsy! The selection is more than enough and nothing is too much trouble.

All in all, even though a couple of negatives I would strongly advise ignoring the really bad reviews and give it a go for yourself. If you are unhappy with something, speak to the management there and then and give them a chance to rectify the situation. Coming away and slating them on here really isnt fair.

One more thing, take some comfy clothes and shoes and have a walk around the grounds, lovely!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Knaresborough, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

My sister and I returned to Ardencote after a fantastic experience last year, however, this year left a lot to be desired. We paid the same price as last year but got much less service, less attention to detail off the staff and generally not as good. Some particularly bad points were (1) In the Brasserie which supposed boasted 2 rosettes so we went there for our evening meal, the wine menu offer a fab selection of white wines from around the world - not exactly cheap either - Chablis 2008 Joseph Drouhin at £36.95 turned out to be 2012 (a much cheaper grape!), Gavi di Gavi DOCG 2009 Villadoria £31.95 was 2013 (again a much cheaper grape!!) - the waiter had whipped away the wine menu before serving the wine and never said a word - luckily my sister noticed so she questioned it as we were not happy to pay the premium price for a cheaper product and lower quality product. As it turned out, their entire wine list of years was not in stock and had all been replaced with 2012 and 2013 bottles but they were still charging the older grape prices without telling you !!! We were told the Brasserie manager would come over to see us - he didn't bother which left us feeling that he knew full well about the wines beforehand! (2) As part of our spa treatments they did a facial examination to help you learn about your skin but really its just a way to sell you there own special spa products which is fine, except, all there trial bottles are empty in the spa reception area and they gave me a very odd look like I'd asked for something outrageous - I only asked for a sample. I wasn't about to shell out £40 for a moisturiser without trying it first !! (3) At breakfast, we ordered off the specials menu a soft boiled egg and a poached egg - the waitress said it would be about 4-5 mins which was fine. 10 minutes later she returned and said the chef had been really busy and that they would be another 4-5 minutes to which we told her not to bother. At the end of the day he can't have been that busy - it was mid-week and there was only 2 other couples eating breakfast there at the same time. It can't have been that difficult to deal with, surely - more likely he forgot ! (4) On checking out the reception staff didn't bother to ask if we had enjoyed our stay or ask us for feedback. We were returning customers who left 5 star feedback last year and have recommended them to others but will not be doing so again as it was very disappointing ! It just goes to show what happens when a good hotel just cannot get the staff !

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Rae-o-Sunshine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Booked as a birthday weekend, no surprises, everything as advertised. Spa is brill, mainly for the outdoor tub warmer than a bath, & drinks bought out. Meal at The Lodge was brilliant too, weekend to remember. Book treatments in advance though to avoid disappointment as they were busy.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kendall00
reading
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Having stayed at the Ardencote and enjoyed it previously I was really pleased to be given a night in a suite for my 40th birthday present. However I can only say how disappointed I was with the room as it was so small to the point we didn't even have bedside tables as they wouldn't fit! The jacuzzi bath looked tired and made a really scary noise when used and the tiles in the bathroom looked grubby and the bin not emptied from the previous guest. The 'lounge' area consisted of a desk and 2 upright 'grandad' chairs, which certainly wasn't enticing to relax in! Finally we had a fly problem - I had to let 3 out of the room when I arrived, had a couple of corpses on the bed and 4 more were hanging from the ceiling! I was sad as my in laws had paid a lot of money for my special get away, it is a shame that I will remember it for all the wrong reasons.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank rufusthedog
Stroud, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

My husband and I went for a relaxing short break and have to say we had a great experience. From the minute we arrived to the minute we left the customer service we received from all the staff was excellent from the front desk, bar, spa and restaurant. The quality of food was good, the treatments we received were excellent. This was a weekend for both of us and even though we could not check into the room, we were directed to a lounge where we could watch the England Rugby game in comfort. My only feedback would be try and go in the week as the spa was very busy and although good treatments, there is not a chill room to relax afterwards, so felt a little rushed. One thing that would have made the whole trip perfect would have been a good quality tea in the lounge and rooms like Twinings ! A big thank you to the whole team.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

This property sits on beautiful grounds. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to experience any of the amenities - like golf, tennis courts, golf course, gym - besides the restaurant. The check-in was uneventful and smooth. The room was a nice surprise. I got a large room and the bath room was big as well. Very comfortable bed, may be the reason I overslept this morning.

The restaurant served up good meal but be warned the entrées are on the smaller side so it is a good idea to order an appetizer. The breakfast is your normal stuff nothing extraordinary but on the other hand no complaints either.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
ardencotemanor, General Manager at Ardencote, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor, we value your feedback as it allows us to develop and grow our business.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and I hope that you visit the Ardencote Manor Hotel again in the future.

Yours sincerely

Azhar Mian
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

I visited with a group of friends for a one night stay overall we had a good time and the spa was great. BUT I have never seen such limited menus for a 4 star hotel and such strange combinations on a menu so much so I could only have one course. The fish I went for was £15 (hake) and yes it was lovely but it was the smallest portion ive ever had (about as much as you would get in a fish finger) and my biggest bug bare is you have to pay extra for veg/sides. This was the brasserie menu and to be honest the portions were no where near value for money you are talking bite size. The Lodge menu was no better and that was £30 per head, I expected so much more. The bed room I stayed was lovely but the bed was very small it definately wasnt a double the headboard was and the bed was at least 2 feet short of that.
The hotel was beautiful as were the surrounding but more variation on the menu needed and the prices need to be reflective of this.

• Stayed March 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claverdon
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#7 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,800 reviews
Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall...
#1 of 1 in Wellesbourne Hastings
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,622 reviews
Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate
Chesford Grange - A QHotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
#13 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,984 reviews

Been to Ardencote? Share your experiences!