“Never again”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Claverdon
Selby, United Kingdom
“Never again”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We went for a 3 day stay and left after one night. The staff were pleasant but it was awful. The bed was so tiny (certainly smaller than a double), the shower had no power at all, Wifi didn't work (it states in their room guide no passcode needed - after messing about for 20 mins I rang reception and was told I needed the passcode!) and although they tried to boost the signal - this didn't help. The fine dining restaurant was closed for refurbishment - although the web site doesn't reflect this, so we ate in the Brasserie. You have to walk from the main building (with pool, restaurant, bar and spa) passed the 'smoking rondel' to get to the building where the bedrooms are - really unpleasant. They had run out of fried eggs when I got my breakfast and by the time they brought me a 'fresh egg' I had nearly finished. If we had paid peanuts for staying there we would understand it, but we didn't and I expect more for what we paid. Enough was enough and we checked out. We did complain as we were checking out and we have written a letter too - we are told the duty manager didn't realise we were complaining 'but merely raising the issue'.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Garstang,UK
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We visited on a midweek deal for my partners birthday. On arrival the reception staff very helpful and informative. They showed us to the room pointing out the bar/spa/pool ect on route. Room 25 was very spacious with great views of the grounds.
The reason for the average review is the bathroom ..... The black mould was around the bath handles, shower head, taps, sealent, shower door and bathroom window. I advised the manager that although there was alot that it is easy to clean with some bathroom cleaner and toothbrush! Whilst we ate in the brassiery he cleaned the shower head and handles himself and offered us a drink with the meal he also advised it would be cleaned in the morning.
On my return from a day out we noticed that no cleaning had been done and as the housekeeper had gone home (about 1500) that we could move rooms. The managers were very helpful in helping us move rooms but how hard it is just to clean it daily to avoid this happening.
Breakfast and spa both good but some of hot breakfast items not soo hot!
I do recommend a visit to the Red Lion only 10 mins walk or £10 in a taxi but well worth it.
Nice hotel, stunning grounds and the surrounding area is well worth a visit.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I recently had my wedding both ceremony and reception at Ardencote Manor hotel. The day was fantastic, not only the grounds and facilities the hotel has to offer guests, but the rooms was fantastic, and the staff specially were outstanding, they were professional, efficient, well mannered, attentive they went the extra mile to ensure everything went perfectly on my day. I couldn't have asked for a better wedding day and it was all down to them.
Cannot thank them enough!!
Mrs Zara Weston xx

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Nothing seemed to be too much trouble for the staff at this hotel despite six weddings taking place over our two night break here. We were warmly greeted at the reception and given a tour of the hotel. We then had a delicious cream tea followed by another personal tour of the spa.

We were on a special two night break that comprised accommodation on a half board basis, cream tea and some spa treatments. Amazing value for what we got.

Generally-Ardencote is situated on acres of land. Although we were told that weddings were taking place-we only saw them in the distance-our stay was not disrupted in any way. The grounds are well maintained, beautiful gardens, lake and golf course.

Room-we were upgraded to a king-sized room which was extremely comfortable and not noisy. The complimentary toiletries were of a high standard.

Restaurants
We enjoyed two delicious meals in the Lodge restaurant which has 2 AA Rossette stars and the Brasserie restaurant. I was very impressed with the standard and presentation of the food. They also had a good selection of wine. I felt the breakfast was a bit of a let-down-it could have been hotter but reasonable selection of food.

Staff-I cannot praise the staff enough for their attentiveness and professionalism. Nothing was too much trouble and they really made sure we were happy and looked after-one of the best service I have received in an English hotel.

Spa-book treatments before you go as it gets very busy with weddings, hen parties and spa package guests. We had to wake up first thing on Easter Sunday to ensure use of the hot tub and the jacuzzi-well worth it as it was occupied by the same group of people all day on both days. They should have a time limit in busy periods.

• Stayed April 2014
Gloucester
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We recently stayed at the Ardencote,
We had a great stay, rooms were good, restaurant(Brasserie) was excellent, staff were friendly and very attentive.
Both my wife and myself had massages and facial's and they were very good,
Food excellent, ammenites were great and the outdoor pool and hot tub were amazing

HIGHLY RECOMMEND AND WILL BE GOING BACK

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed here on Easter weekend 2014 for a weeding we were attending with our 3 year old twins. Nice enough place for a wedding BUT be very careful when booking especially if you are travelling with young children. We booked one of the family rooms in the newer building block. Room OK - Z bed and a sofa bed for the kids. Location of the room NOT OK. A family room directly above the function room holding another wedding that evening. Disco started at 9.00pm and went on booming until 1 am and you could hear every lyric of every song and feel the bass thundering through the floor. I made two complaints to the duty manager and to be fair he did get the music turned down to just above an annoying level. Needless to say we didn't have a good night. The function room in the new building does not have any noise limiters or any attempt to accoutically contain the sound, guess this is down to the DJ. The hotel booking policy was to site wedding guests above or close to the function rooms assuming that they would be partying hard all night and are least likely to complain. We were not told about this when booking and it would have been impossible for us to change rooms. If you plan on taking young children to a family event here be very, very specific on which room you want and stay away from the first floor.
Numerous half baked apologises from the duty managers really doesn't compensate for a terrible nights sleep considering the price we paid.
Breakfast was OK, but nothing special - bread and toaster quality questionable. High chairs were available but be prepared to wait for a while before someone can be bothered to hunt them down. Bar was expensive.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2014

We booked the rose afternoon tea spa day as part of my hen do. We arrived in the morning and were greeted by the very friendly staff and taken to the spa. We were given all our information, robes and towels. We then went to the indoor pool and jacuzzi area which was lovely and very quiet too, they were both lovely and very relaxing.

We then went to the refreshment room which was nice to relax with a cup of tea and read some magazines. We next went to the spa treatment area to have our strawberries and cream salt scrub and full body massage. The massage was very relaxing however when speaking to my friends who had the same treatment they had some extras that I didn't have such as warm bags over eyes, which isn't a huge issue however to have the same treatment and hear that we had different things is a bit strange, as I felt I missed out on little extras with my treatment.

The outdoor whirlpool was very relaxing, even with it being a tad chilly outside the water was so lovely and warm it didn't matter. The afternoon tea was very nice and the staff were more than helpful, one member of staff even offered to take our picture whilst having our tea which we thought was very kind.

The tranquility room was also a lovely place to relax however the walls must be very thin as when we were lying down we could hear either guests or staff talking very loudly either upstairs or next door and that did hamper the ability to relax as it was very noisy and you could hear every word.

All in all this hotel is very nice and I would definitely recommend it for a spa day. There were a few little niggles but not huge issues. You certainly do get what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claverdon
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#7 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall...
#1 of 1 in Wellesbourne Hastings
Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate
Chesford Grange - A QHotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
#13 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to Ardencote? Share your experiences!