“Lovely place for a hen do”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ardencote

Ardencote
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Claverdon
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely place for a hen do”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

7 of us booked the afternoon tea package, staying overnight with a facial and spa use.
The hotel is lovely, good sized rooms, we were in the courtyard and it was very quiet. We had complimentary tea pot and bags enough for 2, and bottles of water.
The afternoon tea was plentiful with a good selection of sandwiches, cakes, and more clotted cream that we needed. We had to remind the waiter that it was meant to come with champagne, but once sorted it was great. We had a 3 course dinner booked, every course was perfect. Possibly on the small side for some, but just right for us after afternoon tea. Breakfast is a buffet style and had everything you would expect.
The spa itself is good. I especially like the outdoor 'heated' pool - probably about the same temperature as the indoor one, and the outdoor hottub where you can order drinks.
It was much busier on the saturday than the sunday. But there are enough different areas to be in if one place is too crowded you can move elsewhere. The free flow drinks room is a lounge, there's no music playing in there so you can hear other peoples conversations. The tranquility room again you can hear people walking past the room and even into one of the bedrooms next to it, but despite that it is a nice place to snuggle up under blankets. There are plenty of places to get water. Both pools are a decent size if you want to swim.
It is mixed and there are children there, however they are not allowed in the 'hot things' and were all well behaved.
THe facial was an express 25min, and was just as good as other facials I have had. She managed to get in a head and shoulder massage. She didn't talk to me which is how I prefer things - although I usually expect to be asked if I want to be talked through what they are doing. there was no selling of products after either which was good.
One tip is that the spa do not advertise is that they will tumble dry your gown - it takes 30mins, and is great if you don't like sitting around in wet gowns.

Room Tip: I had room 43 which was extra big as it was set up for disabled users. The heating took a bit of ti...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Spanzarella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Bristol
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed on a secret escape break which included use of the spa. I pre booked treatments for myself and my husband and I had one of the best full body massages I have ever had. The only disappointment about the spa was the outdoor hot tub was broke so we didn't get to use it.
We ate in the lodge restaurant and the food was lovely. Our room was in the courtyard and we had a lovely view of the golf course.
We had breakfast in the brassiere which was also very nice.
All the staff were great and friendly apart from the brassiere manager who covered the bar while we were there he was quite rude when he told us we could no longer have cocktails as he was too busy !!

Stayed April 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Myself plus 8 female family members went for one night for a pre wedding (sort-of-hen) spa break. Single bed was narrow but everything in the room was clean, however bathroom wasn't spotless & there were only enough products for one person. Only one bottle of water, one tea bag & one face cloth between two people. Staff were nice, food was okay, style over substance and I had one vegetarian choice which wasn't very nice. Great breakfast though, swimming pool, steam room & hot tub were nice. Probably wouldn't go again.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Lotsoflovelle
Kettering
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

If you are going for a romantic break or relaxing spa weekend don't bother. The list of bad experiences is so long... Ridiculously overpriced food in 'cafe bar', children dive bombing in pool (I thought this was a relaxing spa hotel?) children screaming up and down corridors, obnoxious women feeling the need to talk very loudly about their sexual exploits at dinner! This was my 30th birthday present during which I spent more time complaining and crying than 'relaxing'! Please do not bother if you are going to relax or get away from it all. Terrible beyond belief.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank wardrobemistress
St Albans
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Went for a spa weekend with 7 friends and had a fab weekend. Couldn't fault the service staff were friendly, welcoming and very helpful. Spa facilities were great - had the best massage treatment and friends all enjoyed their treatments.

We booked a private relaxation room for the Saturday which I'd recommend as it was quiet busy in the spa and made a great place to chill out between treatments. Only complaint was there were several large parties who hogged the hot tub even in the hail!

Hope to return again next year.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Selby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We went for a 3 day stay and left after one night. The staff were pleasant but it was awful. The bed was so tiny (certainly smaller than a double), the shower had no power at all, Wifi didn't work (it states in their room guide no passcode needed - after messing about for 20 mins I rang reception and was told I needed the passcode!) and although they tried to boost the signal - this didn't help. The fine dining restaurant was closed for refurbishment - although the web site doesn't reflect this, so we ate in the Brasserie. You have to walk from the main building (with pool, restaurant, bar and spa) passed the 'smoking rondel' to get to the building where the bedrooms are - really unpleasant. They had run out of fried eggs when I got my breakfast and by the time they brought me a 'fresh egg' I had nearly finished. If we had paid peanuts for staying there we would understand it, but we didn't and I expect more for what we paid. Enough was enough and we checked out. We did complain as we were checking out and we have written a letter too - we are told the duty manager didn't realise we were complaining 'but merely raising the issue'.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Garstang,UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We visited on a midweek deal for my partners birthday. On arrival the reception staff very helpful and informative. They showed us to the room pointing out the bar/spa/pool ect on route. Room 25 was very spacious with great views of the grounds.
The reason for the average review is the bathroom ..... The black mould was around the bath handles, shower head, taps, sealent, shower door and bathroom window. I advised the manager that although there was alot that it is easy to clean with some bathroom cleaner and toothbrush! Whilst we ate in the brassiery he cleaned the shower head and handles himself and offered us a drink with the meal he also advised it would be cleaned in the morning.
On my return from a day out we noticed that no cleaning had been done and as the housekeeper had gone home (about 1500) that we could move rooms. The managers were very helpful in helping us move rooms but how hard it is just to clean it daily to avoid this happening.
Breakfast and spa both good but some of hot breakfast items not soo hot!
I do recommend a visit to the Red Lion only 10 mins walk or £10 in a taxi but well worth it.
Nice hotel, stunning grounds and the surrounding area is well worth a visit.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claverdon
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#7 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,801 reviews
Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall...
#1 of 1 in Wellesbourne Hastings
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,624 reviews
Wroxall Abbey Hotel & Estate
Chesford Grange - A QHotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
Billesley Manor Hotel
#13 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,987 reviews

Been to Ardencote? Share your experiences!