“Full of character and great owners, high recommended.”
Review of The Pykkerell

The Pykkerell
Ranked #2 of 3 Ixworth B&B and Inns
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“Full of character and great owners, high recommended.”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Pykkerell Inn for two nights whilst our daughters were both away on school trips. The hotel is an amazing old building with a great outdoor space to sit out weather permitting, it also has a huge car park and free wifi. Dating back to 1500s or so the building is full of character and has the feel of a great old pub. I know from other reviews, and talking to Paul and Tristan the new owners, they have only just taken over and from what I can tell they have really concentrated on getting the food and ambience right. We had two evening meals and two breakfasts. All were excellent, home cooked food and the breakfasts in particular were one of the bests I've had in a hotel - all cooked after ordering, not all sitting on a hot plate.

The room we stayed in was comfortable and attractive, with an enormous TV, tea and coffee making facilities, including real coffee and cafetiere and free bottled water, but it needed some TLC in the bathroom which I know is the plan for the near future for all the rooms.

Although on the high street there is little traffic and there is easy access onto the A14 to go out and explore the local areas. We did a trip to Lavenham and one to Angelsey Abbey, both less than 40 minutes away.

All in all a lovely stay.

Room Tip: If you can get rooms 1 or 5
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Charlie G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

A Greene King country venue with new owners who are renovating the whole place : We had a newly renovated room : superb décor comfy bed Huge TV excellent breakfast friendly staff : reasonable prices and good beer ....wine menu a bit pricy but good stuff : Only thing needed is a decent shower in the bathroom which I'm sure will get done otherwise a five star place.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a renovated room ....No 5 is a great room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My family and i thought we would give this place try as we had heard lots of good reports about it since the recent change of management.
I am glad we did. The food was superb, interesting without being fussy and very reasonably priced. We especially enjoyed the triple cooked chips and the home made deserts, such a pleasant change from the plastic shop bought stuff that a lot of places seem to think is acceptable.
The service was slick along with a good variety of well kept real ales.
Last , but not least, it's a really pretty Elizabethan pub with a gem of a sun trap courtyard.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Tristan M, Owner at The Pykkerell, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you for your review, it is much appreciated! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Regards
Tristan
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We visited this pub for an evening meal knowing there were new owners and a new menu, the specials here are a bit to busy and fancy for our liking but they have kept a good variety of food on the menu. Unfortunately they have done away with the always popular pie night, fish night and have only kept the steak night. We opted for the steak and I must say that it was cooked perfectly my only complaint is that the peas were terribly over cooked. Service is not bad (if a little slow) and the decor is fresh and New.

• Stayed July 2013
Hopton, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I booked this inn because it's local to me and had eaten there before on a steak night (excellent) So with friends & family celebrated my husband's 50th birthdat Friday.The food& Service were 1st class &would recommend to everyone.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I had the pleasure of eating at this pub/restaurant recently when visiting a friend. The pub/restaurant is full of character and is light and inviting. I was lucky enough to visit on a sunny day and got to sit in the beautiful courtyard eating my Sunday roast.

The staff were attentive and friendly and despite the restaurant being full, there was no delay in getting our drinks, food and bill when we asked for it.

The Sunday Roast is a must and the homemade desserts are amazing (so much choice I had to order 2 as I couldn't decide between them!)

I'm off to Centre Parcs later on this year and will definitely be visiting again with my family.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Chipping Norton
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Last week, we, my husband & I stayed at this lovely hotel in Suffolk.
The hotel itself was very nice, beautifully decorated . The staff were very helpful.
Parking arrangements good.
The room was very comfortable with all mod cons, very good bathroom.
Great flat screen TV. Bed and bed linen of good quality.
Breakfast was very good. Would stay there again.
Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixworth
Best Western Priory Hotel
#1 of 3 in Ixworth
The Cadogan Arms
The Cadogan Arms
#14 of 53 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to The Pykkerell? Share your experiences!