“Light, airy and luxurious”
Review of Ixworth House

Ixworth House
Ranked #1 of 3 Ixworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We arrived in the early evening to the sound of birdsong and a warm, relaxed welcome. The Edwardian house is spacious, flooded with light and decorated in neutral shades. We had a huge double-aspect family room with a luxurious shower and comfortable beds. Breakfast was delicious, with lots of choice and we especially enjoyed the cafetiere coffee in our room. We'd have liked to stay longer and we'll definitely be back.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank animadura
There are newer reviews for Ixworth House

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Having visited many B&B establishments over 47 years of being married, without any hesitation Ixworth House is the finest stay we have ever enjoyed during that period. The house itself being an Edwardian ex GP surgery is stunning, but more importantly, our hosts, John & Sharyn have surpassed any previous experience, their natural enthusiasm to please goes beyond a bottom line profit, they are driven by a genuine desire to engage with their clients. On arriving we were met by John & Sharyn, who immediately took our bags and invited us to have coffee in the garden, whereby we sat and chatted for ages.

Within minutes we felt as if John & Sharyn had been our friends for years, their warm outgoing nature is so natural, and every effort is made to ensure that our stay with them became memorable, they were always there to greet us when we came down for breakfast, which was lovely, such a choice of cereals, fruit, yogurts, and a full English that you would die for. Add to that the wonderful indoor character environment of Ixworth House, and immaculate facilities, their attainment of 5 star AA rating is well deserved.

In summary, we arrived as paying guests but left "as friends" and most certainly we will return, Ixworth is a lovely village and after visiting an open garden coffee morning in the village, the local folk are so friendly, and the location of Ixworth is an ideal venue to enable discovery of the beautiful county of Suffolk.

Most certainly, we will be back.

Thank you John & Sharyn for making our visit to Suffolk such a pleasure.

Danny & Jean Shea

Room Tip: All three rooms are stunning, two have an en-suite shower facility, and one has a roll top bath with...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Danny S
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights our hosts Sharyn and John were wonderfully accommodating and could not have done more to make our stay in Ixworth any more perfect. We came as a party of friends and family for a special Birthday celebration and can not recommend this highly enough, absolutely stunning in every way

Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Tina26stalbans
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Spent one night at Ixworth House recently with two Children in a family room. From the moment we arrived until we left, we were well looked after by John and Sharyn. We had a fantastic meal in a local hostillery recommended by our hosts. After a great nights sleep we had breakfast which was well prepared, presented and very tasty. My wife who had the smoked salmon and scrambled egg reckons it is the best scrambled egg that she has had for a long time. We would recommend this B & B to families and couples and we will definitely return if we are ever in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 186338Abernethy
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I booked Ixworth House very last minute online as part of a business trip and had no real expectation of what to expect. So I was delighted to be met by Sharyn and John when I rang the doorbell to their impressive home.

I use the word 'home' very selectively as that is exactly what it felt like when I walked through the door. The welcome was warm and sincere and it was instantly obvious that they have incredibly high standards, as the reception hall is decorated beautifully.

Whilst I was speaking with Sharyn, John had kindly taken my case up to the room - which as a regular business traveller is so unexpected and appreciated, as I normally have to juggle my way to the room with bags, briefcase, spare suit and shirts.

The room was perfection - a very good size, with very smart bathroom, and very tastefully decorated. The bed was extremely comfortable and they used fine bedding and quilt - I had a great nights sleep.

I judge my overnight business accommodation by the bed, the bedding and the shower - so I was delighted that the shower was hot and free flowing from a large shower-head.

Breakfast was a joy - and an unusual luxury for me - so after a great selection of cereals, yoghurt and fresh fruit, I chose scrambled eggs with smoked salmon from the extensive menu. All cooked perfectly and presented beautifully. Gallons of fresh coffee to wash it down, completed the most perfect start to the morning.

Sharyn and John are the perfect hosts; there know when you need them to provide conversation and their extensive local knowledge, but clever enough to know when to give a guest some space - this is a rare skill, but one which they are blessed with.

Proudly displayed on the dining room walls are the many awards and accolades that Ixworth House has won, and I (just like the other reviewers) would wholeheartedly agree with those well-deserved awards.

Ixworth House is a real gem, run by really lovely people, and I would have no hesitation in recommending anyone to stay there.

As I said in the title - perfection !!!,

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Frank R
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I was taken to this delightful home for a short break to celebrate my birthday.
Lovely warm welcome. John used his muscles to carry our bags upstairs while Sharyn put the kettle on. We stayed in room 3 with the beautiful roll top bath that really did tempt me to " wallow" in bubbles.
Breakfast set us up for the day the next morning and we had a thoroughly relaxing couple of days.

Would highly recommend Ixworth House.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I simply cannot rate Ixworth House highly enough. The house is an absolute credit to John and Sharyn. It's warm, beautifully decorated, spotlessly clean and it even smells divine! I stayed in room 3 which has a superbly comfortable king size bed, desk space and a fabulous bathroom with the property's original roll top bath just begging to be filled for a long hot soak!
I was greeted like an old friend on arrival and very much enjoyed chatting to both John and Sharyn who took a genuine interest in my work and my day ahead. Breakfast was delicious - smoked salmon and scrambled egg - with a choice of fresh juice, cereals and toast. Sharyn will even pack you up a breakfast picnic if you have an early start. I really do hope to have reason to stay again and wish John and Sharyn all the very best with the business in the future.

Room Tip: Room 3 has a roll top bath - perfect for a good soak at the end of the day.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixworth
All Saints Hotel
#4 of 11 in Bury St Edmunds
Oak Farm Barn
Oak Farm Barn
#4 of 53 in Bury St Edmunds

Been to Ixworth House? Share your experiences!