My partner and I booked in for a two night midweek break for our anniversary in January. I phoned directly to book and spoke to a gentleman who had very little knowledge of the Inn, he couldn't give me any room details when asked and was rude and unhelpful. I then phoned back and asked to speak to the owner 'Jules' and was questioned why, I explained that I had seen on the website a paragraph recommending that you phone to enquire about midweek special deals and was told that there weren't any and Jules would not to be able to help me. Against my better judgement I booked the only room that the gentleman had been able to give me details about, double checking that it had a large, double ended bath for two people.
We arrived and a miserable, surly women greeted us at the reception desk and showed us to our room.
Our room smelt dusky and damp and had mould all over the window sills. The bed cover was grubby as were the scatter cushions on the bed and there were marks all over the walls and huge spider webs in the corners of the room.
I walked into the bathroom to find a small double ended bath that one person could not stretch out in, let alone fit two.
We ate dinner in the restaurant that evening, the service was slow and the menu had one veggie starter and two veggie mains. I enquired about the possibility of a different veggie main as both included soft cheese and was told that they could swap the cheese to cheddar, I thanked the waitress and ordered. Our food was awful, my partners fillet steak had been butterflied but was horribly overdone and my crispy pancakes were reminiscent of something you'd expect from Macdonalds, not a meal costing over £100.
Breakfasts were equally dreadful but the servers were cheery.
I would have rated this as a three star establishment and not worth the money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Please Call us directly for Best Prices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Book Direct Rooms, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and LateRooms so you can book your The Holcombe Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Holcombe Hotel Somerset
- The Holcombe Inn Somerset