“Faultless & so welcoming”
Review of The Holcombe Inn

The Holcombe Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Holcombe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Escaping from London our second stay with Jules & team was as wonderful as our first last year. Beautiful 17 Century Inn tucked away in the countryside but only a short hop to our favourite city of Bath; special feature rooms, spotless and sooo quiet location. This time we stayed in 'Pemberley' room (Africa was fabulous last time around). The room could not be faulted and with a sumptuous bath and separate shower. We ate in the restaurant and just loved the locally reared steak (try with a bottle of Chocolate Block). The breakfast as previously was delicious with plenty of choice and tasty local produce. Will be back at Easter!

Room Tip: Have Stayed in Africa (west facing) with gorgeous bath in the room and walk in rain shower Pemberl...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Holcombe Inn

Reviewed 16 January 2014

My partner and I booked in for a two night midweek break for our anniversary in January. I phoned directly to book and spoke to a gentleman who had very little knowledge of the Inn, he couldn't give me any room details when asked and was rude and unhelpful. I then phoned back and asked to speak to the owner 'Jules' and was questioned why, I explained that I had seen on the website a paragraph recommending that you phone to enquire about midweek special deals and was told that there weren't any and Jules would not to be able to help me. Against my better judgement I booked the only room that the gentleman had been able to give me details about, double checking that it had a large, double ended bath for two people.
We arrived and a miserable, surly women greeted us at the reception desk and showed us to our room.
Our room smelt dusky and damp and had mould all over the window sills. The bed cover was grubby as were the scatter cushions on the bed and there were marks all over the walls and huge spider webs in the corners of the room.
I walked into the bathroom to find a small double ended bath that one person could not stretch out in, let alone fit two.
We ate dinner in the restaurant that evening, the service was slow and the menu had one veggie starter and two veggie mains. I enquired about the possibility of a different veggie main as both included soft cheese and was told that they could swap the cheese to cheddar, I thanked the waitress and ordered. Our food was awful, my partners fillet steak had been butterflied but was horribly overdone and my crispy pancakes were reminiscent of something you'd expect from Macdonalds, not a meal costing over £100.
Breakfasts were equally dreadful but the servers were cheery.
I would have rated this as a three star establishment and not worth the money.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Cloe R
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This place is a real gem of a find. The rooms are wonderfully designed with lovely bathrooms and comfy beds. The bar is brilliantly stocked with a mix of local beers and ciders as well as premium spirits, cocktails and most importantly some interesting whiskies complete with tasting guides. The restaurant was brilliant also, a really extensive menu both at dinnertime and breakfast, and clearly a talented team in the kitchen.

Vitally though, the staff really made it for us. Mostly a team of young girls and guys saw to us and made us feel welcome, served us with patience, charm and good humour and led us to believe nothing was too much hassle. They were happy for us to come down at any time that suited at breakfast time as they weren't too busy, and got to know us including the 3 year old in our party.

Highly recommended for anyone visiting that part of the world.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was my surprise to him as a romantic escape. Hotel in a very quiet part of the country. Clean and spectacular bedroom. The food was original, tasty and well cooked. Asked for a decanter for the red wine, and it was given with no questions. Service is very good and friendly. Love to go back and try the others bedrooms...

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Having relied on GPS to find this place and suffered the spiral consequences, I was well and truly ready for a bit of pampering with some excellent food. I was not disappointed.The food, service and atmosphere were all very good indeed and I can whole-heartedly recommend all 3.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2013

In the middle of nowhere (check the sat nav) a hidden gem. Good welcome, good service, cracking food (Somerset Pork) and the Orchard pig cider on draught,
The room is beautiful with lovely views over the adjacent hills, should be done in the Summer. Can't fault it,
The **ob head who gave 1 is wasting this service.
We picked a lovely time just before Xmas and fairs in Bath, a must do weekend

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My wife and I enjoy taking a weekend break on the first weekend of December and this year we decided that we wanted to take in the city of Bath.
We chose to stay out of the city in a country pub and chose the Holcombe Inn.

We could not have chosen a better place for our stay. On arrival we were checked in straight away although we arrived 3 hours before the official check in time.

We chose the Champagne Room for our stay that was fantastic. The room was spotless and the facilities first rate..

The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was great with a large bath and seperate shower cubicle.

We stayed for 2 nights and chose to eat there on both evenings.

The menu was extensive and the quality of the food was superb, no wonder that they appear in the Michelin Pub Guide. Prices were very reasonable for the standard of dining.

I would have no hesitation in going back again and will be recommending the Holcombe Inn to all of our friends

My overall impression was that this is a great place to stay and that the staff were so friendly and helpful

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holcombe
Ston Easton Park Hotel
#12 of 32 in Bath
The George Inn
The George Inn
#1 of 5 in Norton St Philip

Been to The Holcombe Inn? Share your experiences!