“Romantic countryside treat”

The Holcombe Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Holcombe B&B and Inns
“Romantic countryside treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed here to celebrate a special birthday and we couldn't have picked a more perfect place to hide away in January. We'd seen the inn in the Sawday's guide and really liked the look of it, and it totally exceeded our expectations. The room was fabulous, the food downstaris in the restaurant was fantastic from the delicious dinner on Sat night to the full English on Sun morning, and the staff were friendly and helpful whether on reception, behind the bar or in the restaurant. All in all we had a great stay and couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Africa room and loved it - the roll-top bath and wet room are gorgeous, and overall...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

My partner and I wanted to celebrate our 10 year anniversary and wanted to escape somewhere just for the weekend. This place was absolutely wonderful - really peaceful and quiet, when we arrived we were given a very friendly welcome and was shown to our room where we stayed in the Hunters room.

The room was lovely and warm, the bathroom was stunning and everything was clean. It was so quiet, you couldn't hear the pub/restaurant downstairs at all. We were given fresh milk to go with our tea/coffees and were treated to home cooked cookies which were delicious.

We spent the night playing board games which were provided by the inn by the fireplace and also had a delicious meal in the restaurant. There was a nice selection on offer for breakfast the next morning as well.

As someone previously mentioned, it's hard to get wifi in the Hunters room, but it was actually nice not to have that distraction and if we needed the internet we could just go downstairs anyway.

This was exactly what we wanted, a relaxing weekend with no distractions. A perfect retreat.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

Escaping from London our second stay with Jules & team was as wonderful as our first last year. Beautiful 17 Century Inn tucked away in the countryside but only a short hop to our favourite city of Bath; special feature rooms, spotless and sooo quiet location. This time we stayed in 'Pemberley' room (Africa was fabulous last time around). The room could not be faulted and with a sumptuous bath and separate shower. We ate in the restaurant and just loved the locally reared steak (try with a bottle of Chocolate Block). The breakfast as previously was delicious with plenty of choice and tasty local produce. Will be back at Easter!

Room Tip: Have Stayed in Africa (west facing) with gorgeous bath in the room and walk in rain shower Pemberl...
Here
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014 via mobile

My partner and I booked in for a two night midweek break for our anniversary in January. I phoned directly to book and spoke to a gentleman who had very little knowledge of the Inn, he couldn't give me any room details when asked and was rude and unhelpful. I then phoned back and asked to speak to the owner 'Jules' and was questioned why, I explained that I had seen on the website a paragraph recommending that you phone to enquire about midweek special deals and was told that there weren't any and Jules would not to be able to help me. Against my better judgement I booked the only room that the gentleman had been able to give me details about, double checking that it had a large, double ended bath for two people.
We arrived and a miserable, surly women greeted us at the reception desk and showed us to our room.
Our room smelt dusky and damp and had mould all over the window sills. The bed cover was grubby as were the scatter cushions on the bed and there were marks all over the walls and huge spider webs in the corners of the room.
I walked into the bathroom to find a small double ended bath that one person could not stretch out in, let alone fit two.
We ate dinner in the restaurant that evening, the service was slow and the menu had one veggie starter and two veggie mains. I enquired about the possibility of a different veggie main as both included soft cheese and was told that they could swap the cheese to cheddar, I thanked the waitress and ordered. Our food was awful, my partners fillet steak had been butterflied but was horribly overdone and my crispy pancakes were reminiscent of something you'd expect from Macdonalds, not a meal costing over £100.
Breakfasts were equally dreadful but the servers were cheery.
I would have rated this as a three star establishment and not worth the money.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Cloe R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

This place is a real gem of a find. The rooms are wonderfully designed with lovely bathrooms and comfy beds. The bar is brilliantly stocked with a mix of local beers and ciders as well as premium spirits, cocktails and most importantly some interesting whiskies complete with tasting guides. The restaurant was brilliant also, a really extensive menu both at dinnertime and breakfast, and clearly a talented team in the kitchen.

Vitally though, the staff really made it for us. Mostly a team of young girls and guys saw to us and made us feel welcome, served us with patience, charm and good humour and led us to believe nothing was too much hassle. They were happy for us to come down at any time that suited at breakfast time as they weren't too busy, and got to know us including the 3 year old in our party.

Highly recommended for anyone visiting that part of the world.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Alresford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

This was my surprise to him as a romantic escape. Hotel in a very quiet part of the country. Clean and spectacular bedroom. The food was original, tasty and well cooked. Asked for a decanter for the red wine, and it was given with no questions. Service is very good and friendly. Love to go back and try the others bedrooms...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

Having relied on GPS to find this place and suffered the spiral consequences, I was well and truly ready for a bit of pampering with some excellent food. I was not disappointed.The food, service and atmosphere were all very good indeed and I can whole-heartedly recommend all 3.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holcombe
Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
#1 of 1 in Beanacre
The House near Bath
The House near Bath
#1 of 1 in Woolverton

Been to The Holcombe Inn? Share your experiences!