We were recommended to eat here, so gave it a try. We booked a table as it was a Friday night, and I was surprised the place was pretty empty. The menu loked very expensive forwhat is essentially a pub. A designer pub, admittedly, with tasteful pastel painted wainscotting..... But not a lavishly decorated ritzy venue.
The starters looked expensive, and we thought twice, but are glad we went ahead. Delicious, perfect presentation and good portions for a starter. We shared the starters, and all were excellent (crab fritters, chicken vol au vent, fried cheese).
The main courses were not a patch. I had steak and chips for £22, and I've had much much better for half the money. The steak itself was below par; stringy/full of sinew and far too chewy. The chips tasted stale and reheated. Possibly frozen. I did leave most of my dinner, the waiter almost asked me if anything was wrong, but managed to bite his lip just in time.
The local beer was also not great, and it was probably this that had me on the loo all next morning after a single pint. £120 for three people. What a waste of time and money. The rating here reflects the starters and value. The next night we ate at the Centurion Hotel in Midsomer Norton - a very memorable meal indeed for much better value and friendlier service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Please Call us directly for Best Prices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Book Direct Rooms, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your The Holcombe Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Holcombe Hotel Somerset
- The Holcombe Inn Somerset