The Holcombe Inn is a wonderful place to eat and stay. We had a lovely experience, and I really want the team to take my comments as positive suggestions. But I have a few thoughts to share...
We walked the new railway trail from Bath. It's a stiff 16 mile walk, and we'd booked the Holcombe Inn just a few days before. But it's a shame that guests, not just us but others, were offered restaurant times nothing earlier than 20:30. The place is popular, and the food is superb, so I can understand that first-come-first-served is fair - but no-one said at the time we booked that it'd be seriously competitive to get a table! It'd be fair to assume that guests want one...
So, the evening food? Outstanding. We both had "pies and fries". The steak and ale pie was unimprovable - meaty, tight, crisp. Excellent.
The room? Comfortable, warm - excellent tea/coffee facilities, and home-made cookies to keep us going 'til dinner...
A bit of an after-thought. The Full-English was as good as anywhere. But I want to be offered fresh fruit compote, yoghurt, cereal, porridge, strong coffee, croissants, wholemeal toast (not bread from a factory). None seemed to be available. In particular - the UK's coffee culture has changed hugely in five years; we now expect to be offered choices. For me, a place that takes its coffee seriously, is a place to be embraced.
Summary: There's a large investment gone into the guest rooms, so I think the guests need to be ranked a little higher in the priorities.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Please Call us directly for Best Prices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Book Direct Rooms and Priceline so you can book your The Holcombe Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Holcombe Hotel Somerset
- The Holcombe Inn Somerset