“Great night with music.”
Review of The Holcombe Inn

The Holcombe Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Holcombe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 June 2014

A super sunny Sunday night at the Holcombe Inn and local band with live music - English bank holiday's don't normally work like this!

Been here a few times as it's local and always had great friendly service and good food. The pub/restaurant was quite busy that night and we met friends for good night out. The night was even more enjoyable as there was live music from a local band - The Sam Evans Band - and their song "The Sheriff of Midsomer Norton" was a brilliant way to end the night.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 June 2014

This place is wonderful. We got treated to a night here as a birthday present and it was fabulous. The food was great and all of the staff were friendly and welcoming. The decor of the whole place is great modern muted colours in a lovely country setting. Our room was wonderful too, we stayed in Pemberley and had a great bathroom and the comfiest bed. Not sure if it was the fab food, wine or bed but we slept so well we'll definitely be back to this amazing find.

Room Tip: Pemberley is fab but unfortunately Mr Darcy does not come with the room!
1  Thank soozsuff
Holcombeinn, Owner at The Holcombe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Ahhhhh.... Mr Darcy... if only! but despite him being absent in Pemberley we are really pleased you had such a wind down, relaxing and enjoyable stay. Thank you very much for your lovely review.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This is a B and B together with a restaurant open to the public. It was here where I ate.

I took along four people for my birthday celebration Saturday 7th June. I have not eaten here before because the reviews were good so I took it on trust.

There are three elements to a restaurant (well more really but lets say three)

1. the food
2 the service
3. the environment

I cannot fault the FOOD. I had an interesting compot of shoulder of lamb. All the dishes were inventive and works of art. However, I also asked for a birthday cake, a sponge cake with BJS on it. I got the sponge but with my initials scratched on with a knife. For £30 I would like liked a more festive cake.

The SERVICE was - how can I put it - amateurish. The young man was keen enough but had no idea how to up sell. With the sweet course there would have been a chance to offer sweet wine. With the birthday cake the party were asked if they wanted coffee when I as the host was away in the loo.

About 10 empty glasses were left on the table and we had to ask for them to be cleared away. A waiter is not just someone who brings food to the table but looks after the guests. I got the feeling of being neglected more than once. The waiter had not been trained, clear to see.

the ENVIRONMENT was the worst. During the second course my sister noticed that the table was dirty, actually gritty. We all looked and - yes - it was as if the tables had been visited by a sand storm. The management was not there but I mentioned it to the bar man to what effect I do not know. I thought that if you served food the table has to be cleaned - preferably between each visit. I have been in Transport Cafes with cleaner tables (seriously Holcombe Inn I jest not, do you know the importance of cleanliness).

Also on my loo visit I noticed the door to the Gents was stained and sticky with a patina of grease. I get the feel it was not cleaned regularly. This could be a major source of germs so how about giving it a clean from time to time.

The bill was about right for five people as we left at 2.45pm after a 12.30 start but I left with a sour taste in my mouth when I wanted everything to be all right.

Oh, there are some nice paintings on the walls - well done managers - the paintings lift the atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Holcombeinn, Owner at The Holcombe Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you could not fault the food that you ate and that you enjoyed your lunch with us. Your email requesting our chef to make you a birthday cake clearly says 'nothing fancy' Chef therefore made you a victoria and fresh strawberry cream sponge with your initials handcarved into the top and dusted with icing sugar. If you has wanted something more elaborate, on request, we would be happy to do that.
We are proud to consistently hold a 5* food hygiene rating. We take cleanliness most seriously. Our tables in the restaurant are an eclectic mix and reclaimed which we like for their character especially, however they are cleaned thoroughly after every guest of course. The loose sea salt and pepper we serve can sometimes be a little wayward, perhaps this is what you were seeing because we do not experience sand storms in this part of Somerset. The toilets are cleaned twice daily, however they are undergoing a total refurbishment in the next couple of months.
Finally, we employ permanent local staff who care enormously about service. We aim to provide an unpretentious, happy service in a country Inn environment. Customers constantly commend all our staff for the caring service they provide and so I am sorry you felt it was amateurish. Dessert wines, liqueur coffees and lots of other yummy tempters are on offer on our dessert menu for guests to peruse at leisure.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We came across The Holcombe Inn almost by accident when searching for overnight accommodation to break up a longer journey. Could not have found a better place! Staff were excellent, particularly the two young gentlemen who were working in the restaurant on the night of our stay, polite, accommodating and an asset to the inn. Our room was very well equipped and immaculately clean, with gorgeous decoration. We ate in the restaurant for our evening meal and also our breakfast. Food was some of the best I have ever tasted. Great atmosphere. 100% thumbs up and recommendation from us.

1  Thank Gary M

Thank you for your great recommendation to others. Matt and Otis especially appreciate your complimentary comments about them, as do our team of chefs and all concerned! Thank you again.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Fabulous pub, rooms very high standard. In the middle of the countryside, food, wine, excellent service, friendly. Old country inn dating back to 17th century. Sun set lovely views over the fields, all you can hear are the birds, very peaceful and relaxing

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Sue F

Thank you for your review, so pleased you enjoyed the peacefulness of the beautiful countryside all around The Holcombe Inn and that we could please you on all levels.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Been here a few times but never got around to writing a review.
I'll keep it short and sweet, great food, friendly staff and always a warm welcome.
A little bit more expensive than others in area but well worth it...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you Charles for taking the time to write a super review of the restaurant and even more so having visited us a few times. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Stayed for our wedding anniversary, marvellous food with a good choice. Wine list reasonably priced. Great themed rooms with very comfortable beds and a delightful village to explore. The old church with Captain Scott's family tomb hidden away was a surprise. Staff very friendly and helpful.
Breakfast was fantastic, especially the reviving fruit juice cocktail.

Room Tip: Rooms to front have the better views.
2  Thank DicktheDuck

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that we could make your occasion so special for you. Our morning reviving juice cocktails have certainly been a hit, devised by our chefs every morning

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holcombe
Ston Easton Park Hotel
#12 of 34 in Bath
Beryl B & B
Beryl B & B
#2 of 37 in Wells

Been to The Holcombe Inn? Share your experiences!