Whitehart
Travelodge
  • Breakfast included
Waterloo Cross(Uffculme)
  • Restaurant
All reviewswhite hartthe pubplenty of hot waterchristmas lunchan ironcomfortable bedbooked a tablewarm welcomewould stay againstayed for nightsfamily roomlandlordtoiletries
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Very friendly staff especially Sam and Alex.Food was very good both nights.Boiler problems let this place down.There was no hot water in the shower also no water pressure,no hot water in the hand basin.The room was freezing,when I tried to call using their phone,it was kept in the bottom shelf of the open wardrode and it was FILTHY,covered in thick dust and not working. We were given a small (filthy) fan heater,which was very noisy and dried out the air and gave me an asthma attack,so we had to switch it off.I woke up with brain freeze it was 11C probably less overnight.We would have left,but had a drink with our meal and we were told it was in the process of being fixed.Saturday morning I managed a very quick lukewarm shower,not enough water to wash my hair.My husband wasn't so lucky!On saturday we were given a portable heater which did the trick for the room temperature.I spoke to a man in charge(not sure if he was the manager or landlord),he gave me excuses for this one off occurence,which then we found out is a recurrent situation.I wish we were told in advance so we could have made alternative arragements,rather than spoil our Valentine's treat.The room was small but adequate,however the bottom sheet,was a flat sheet which came off the mattress,I was surprise to notice there was no mattress cover!No hot water at all on Sunday!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hody_22
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Had it not been for the fact there was an offer on at this hotel, we would not have stayed the night here, let alone the 4 nights we booked. As it was we had to ask for a change of room as the initial room we were shown to was filthy, particularly the bathroom. The second room we were given was a little better, but not much. We thought we were getting a £70+ room for a bargain £40ish per night. The furniture in the bedroom was.....well the wardrobe was like flat pack furniture without doors or a back to it; the dressing table was akin to a plank of wood screwed to the wall with 2 metal poles supporting the front. No drawers.

Upon inspection one of the glasses in the room was dirty, with remnants of a sweet, sticky drink. We kept leaving it out to be replaced with a clean one but the dirty one was just put back on the little tray each day the room was 'cleaned!!!' At no point was the room hoovered as there was half a peanut on the floor when we arrived and it was still there when we left.

On a positive note, the food was quite good. Pity the 'waiting staff' in the morning couldn't have said "good morning" and exchanged a few pleasantries with guests, but I suppose not everyone is at their best first thing.

The car park. Well what can I say? On a couple of occasions it was extremely difficult to get a parking space. There was an 'under cover' area which was full of junk, old beds, chairs/sofa, kitchen equipment and an old sports car! Really not a very good first impression for guests.

We saw the price had been reduced on a booking website, but when I contacted the hotel direct they quoted me a higher price. They soon reduced it when I said the price was cheaper on another website.

Would we stay here again? Probably not!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2012

This place has the potentail to be a lot nicer with a bit more money and effort spent on the rooms. Down in the bar it seems like a nice pub but you relise the rooms wont be so good as you get take up to them past the gents loo which smells stronly of pee. In the room at the first look it seems ok but on closer inpection the fit and finish is very poor, many items are broken and fitting loose on the walls. The bed was good but the duvet and pillow where cheap and nasty. There were dirty marks on all the walls and mold around the window. Realy made it more of a £40 a night place, not £75. On the plus side the breakfast was realy good and the staff were friendly. Real shame as this place could be realy good if a bit more effort was put into the rooms.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 November 2012

The White Hart at Wiveliscombe serves excellent reasonably priced food with warm and friendly staff. The rooms are somewhat dated, but exceptionally clean, with fresh linen and towels daily.

Well done Simon and staff, you made a damp, miserably wet weekend into a warm, cosy comfortable stay, even the locals were very friendly, thats not something you can always say.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wilmaSomerset
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Wivelliscombe is a lovely little town (pop. 2600) in Somerset near Exmoor. The White Hart does excellent food, has a lovely pub, strong free WiFi, good service, and comfortable clean rooms. Plenty of hot water and towels.

All of this for half the price of the Travelodge.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo