“Nice town centre pub”
Review of Whitehart

Whitehart
Ranked #2 of 4 Wiveliscombe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Our little group got an excellent rate for B&B for one night and enjoyed our stay. It was a cold night, but the heating in the room worked well and the heated towel rail kept the small bathroom warm enough. The bed was really comfortable - unusual for me to find this anywhere away from home - and there was a mirror, light and socket by the desk/dressing table, again unusual even in much more expensive hotels. Excellent wi-fi in the bedroom. No radio provided, even on the digital TV, which is unusual these days. There was no bath, just a shower, and minimal but adequate toiletries, and room to unpack all our stuff. Plenty of hot water. We had a good meal in the evening from the slightly limited choice and a first class breakfast. The staff were friendly and helpful and I would certainly recommend a stay here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Whitehart

Reviewed 2 April 2013

We booked a three night stay over the Easter weekend at a good price. To be honest from the outside I was a little bit dubious as it does look a little tired. However you should never change a book by its cover! We were shown to our room which was a good size and clean. There was a problem with the central heating but a heater was put in the room which kept it nice and cosy.
The bathroom was clean and there was plenty of hot water. Breakfast was also very good and kept us going during the day. On one of the nights the car park was full but there's a free one just across the road so no issues there. All in all for the price we had a lovely stay and would visit again.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the White Hart Hotel. We arrived Saturday afternoon and was greeted by a very pleasant young man who showed us to our room. Initial impression was very positive. The pub was warm and our room was clean. On closer inspection there was only 1 cup on the tea tray and two pillows on the bed. This was soon rectified by the young man in the bar. There was no wardrobe as such, just a hanging space and a shelf attached which had the kettle, the tea tray, a lamp and the tv on, leaving not a lot of space for anything else. Fortunately I had taken a mirror with me as there was no mirror in the bedroom area. On arriving back at the Hotel Saturday evening we did not experience any loud music from the pub but unfortunately we had 12 French men staying in the rooms above us and they were very noisy. It sounded like they were having a party in one of their rooms. At 6.00 am the next morning they started again. Breakfast was very acceptable but the dirty tables could have been cleared a little quicker. We went out for day/evening and our return we found that the towels we had left on the floor by the shower had not been replaced with clean ones. As the bathroom was so cold only my partner was brave enough to have a shower so the 2 towels that were still clean were ok for the next morning. The towel rail in the bathroom did not heat up but at least the water was hot. Thankfully the French men had checked out so after a good nights sleep we went down for breakfast only to find doors to the bar locked and no sign of anyone. It was like the Marie Celeste. After waiting 20 minutes a lady arrived who turned out to be the cleaner and she opened the bar and then proceeded to call the chef who was off duty and the waiter who had overslept. I do feel with a hotel of this size there should be a manager on duty/call at all times to avoid things like this happening. After a further 15 minutes the chef arrived followed shortly afterwards by the waiter. The wait was well worth it just for the scrambled eggs which were delicious. The owner eventually arrived about 10.00 am but did not offer any sort of appology. I dont know what would have happened if the cleaner had not turned up. Off we went for the day and on our return yet again the towels had not been replaced but the cleaner had been in the bathroom as the loo had blue loo in it. We plugged in the smallest heater I have ever seen and it did not make much difference. Thank heavens for the hot water bottle that I had taken with us. They advertise free wi-fi but I was not able to connect at any time during our stay. Even my partner did not have a shower on our last morning as it was just too cold. Down to breakfast for the last time and when we entered the bar there was just one table left set for two so we sat down. The other tables were covered with dirty plates etc where other guests had obviously had breakfast earlier. We finished breakfast and my partner went back to the room to collect our luggage. The key was just turning in the lock and he was unable to get into the room. He came back down to the bar and told the young man the problem who tried without success to contact the owner. When the owner did eventually arrive we had been waiting over half an hour. He tried but was unable to get into the room and the only option left was to try and open the door with brute force, which did work. I hope the owner reads this review and takes on board the negative comments and tries to rectify them to avoid future guests experiencing what we did. Yes it was value for money, but no it was not the 4 stars in perports to be.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sunnyhunny2010
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We have dined on a number of occassions at The White Hart. Staff are pleasant and the food is good quality and tasty. It has a lovely village pub feel about it.
Wiveliscombe is a lovely picturesque village in the gorgeous Somerset countryside.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Leanne K
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Very friendly staff especially Sam and Alex.Food was very good both nights.Boiler problems let this place down.There was no hot water in the shower also no water pressure,no hot water in the hand basin.The room was freezing,when I tried to call using their phone,it was kept in the bottom shelf of the open wardrode and it was FILTHY,covered in thick dust and not working. We were given a small (filthy) fan heater,which was very noisy and dried out the air and gave me an asthma attack,so we had to switch it off.I woke up with brain freeze it was 11C probably less overnight.We would have left,but had a drink with our meal and we were told it was in the process of being fixed.Saturday morning I managed a very quick lukewarm shower,not enough water to wash my hair.My husband wasn't so lucky!On saturday we were given a portable heater which did the trick for the room temperature.I spoke to a man in charge(not sure if he was the manager or landlord),he gave me excuses for this one off occurence,which then we found out is a recurrent situation.I wish we were told in advance so we could have made alternative arragements,rather than spoil our Valentine's treat.The room was small but adequate,however the bottom sheet,was a flat sheet which came off the mattress,I was surprise to notice there was no mattress cover!No hot water at all on Sunday!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hody_22
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Had it not been for the fact there was an offer on at this hotel, we would not have stayed the night here, let alone the 4 nights we booked. As it was we had to ask for a change of room as the initial room we were shown to was filthy, particularly the bathroom. The second room we were given was a little better, but not much. We thought we were getting a £70+ room for a bargain £40ish per night. The furniture in the bedroom was.....well the wardrobe was like flat pack furniture without doors or a back to it; the dressing table was akin to a plank of wood screwed to the wall with 2 metal poles supporting the front. No drawers.

Upon inspection one of the glasses in the room was dirty, with remnants of a sweet, sticky drink. We kept leaving it out to be replaced with a clean one but the dirty one was just put back on the little tray each day the room was 'cleaned!!!' At no point was the room hoovered as there was half a peanut on the floor when we arrived and it was still there when we left.

On a positive note, the food was quite good. Pity the 'waiting staff' in the morning couldn't have said "good morning" and exchanged a few pleasantries with guests, but I suppose not everyone is at their best first thing.

The car park. Well what can I say? On a couple of occasions it was extremely difficult to get a parking space. There was an 'under cover' area which was full of junk, old beds, chairs/sofa, kitchen equipment and an old sports car! Really not a very good first impression for guests.

We saw the price had been reduced on a booking website, but when I contacted the hotel direct they quoted me a higher price. They soon reduced it when I said the price was cheaper on another website.

Would we stay here again? Probably not!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2012

This place has the potentail to be a lot nicer with a bit more money and effort spent on the rooms. Down in the bar it seems like a nice pub but you relise the rooms wont be so good as you get take up to them past the gents loo which smells stronly of pee. In the room at the first look it seems ok but on closer inpection the fit and finish is very poor, many items are broken and fitting loose on the walls. The bed was good but the duvet and pillow where cheap and nasty. There were dirty marks on all the walls and mold around the window. Realy made it more of a £40 a night place, not £75. On the plus side the breakfast was realy good and the staff were friendly. Real shame as this place could be realy good if a bit more effort was put into the rooms.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wiveliscombe
The Corner House Hotel
#1 of 4 in Wiveliscombe
Fitzhead Inn
Fitzhead Inn
#6 of 54 in Taunton

Been to Whitehart? Share your experiences!