“Reminded me that good hotels don't have to cost the earth”
Review of The Hollies Hotel

The Hollies Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Martock
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Reminded me that good hotels don't have to cost the earth”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

As a regular business traveller on company expenses, in order to assess my thoughts on a hotel, I ask myself how I would have felt if I'd had to pay the bill with my own money. All too often I come away from hotels feeling that, even when the experience itself was good enough, the price could not be justified. Not so with the Hollies; quite the opposite.

It's difficult to list all the positives without rambling on, so I'll only describe the really stand-out aspects (even if this might not do it full justice). Food: only had breakfast, but it was done to perfection. Staff: What a wonderfully friendly, helpful crew who seemed to genuinely enjoy their work and the opportunity to deal with customers. Room: Fabulous, especially the bathroom, with a proper, deep bath and plenty of room to move. Have to correct the review by cantrum which says that all rooms are on the ground floor. I was in a first floor room, with a lovely view of the local countryside.

The reason I've decided to write my first ever review of a hotel is that it was such a pleasant surprise to be presented with a bill which, had I been paying with my own money, would have had me coming away with a very satisfied smile on my face!

To the wonderful staff who work at the Hollies: Please keep up the good work. If I can find a good excuse for staying here again, I certainly shall.

Room Tip: Find your room before bringing your bags from the car. Some rooms are quite a long walk from recept...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Korean first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This is a comfortable hotel with all you need for a relaxing break. The rooms are all at ground level each with direct access to a terraced area to enjoy sitting out on a fine day (the weather was awful so we could only look and stare!). Easy check in and very pleasant staff. Great breakfast in a lovely dining room with two (!) burning log fires - greatly appreciated on such a rotten weather day! The room was spotless and bathroom excellent (although shower could have been more powerful). Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
North West England
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I have been staying at this Hotel over the past few years and thought it about time I put pen to paper (so to speak). I use it when I am an business and it suits all my needs and more. The Owners and all Staff are very friendly and helpful. The bedrooms are (in my opinion) well above standard and when there is FREE WiFi - what more do you need? Breakfast is good but the dinner is well worth enjoying. As I said I have been here several times and never needed to venture out for a meal. The choice either from the well stocked Bar to the main Dinenr Menu is all worth having. Between myself and business guests we have eaten our way through the Menu and have enjoyed averything. A lovely place - nice and quiet and a great place to relax after a busy day. See you soon - again - and thanks

Room Tip: All rooms are well furnished
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Somerset
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Very Clean and modern with excellent decor and good quality bed. I cannot fault this hotel. If you are in the area it is perfect for business or couples.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Oxted
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My sports association used this venue for a large number of parents and athletes (48) and were delighted. The pre trip planning was simple, perceptive and nothing was to much trouble. The location, style and service at the Hotel was classy and exceptional in every way from luxury rooms, relaxing bar environment, breakfasts of the highest quality and packed lunches of real quality, perfect for athletes on the go!

I do not know how they did it! Certainly the charge does not prepare you for the experience you will receive. Parents thought it well worth returning to for business or leisure. Our favourite venue that we have used to date!

Room Tip: Ask the staff they will help!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2012

I was taken here for my birthday meal without knowing anything about it. My husband had found it on line beforehand. From the time we arrived, the welcome was warm and friendly. We were offered a drink in the bar, with a look at the menu before going to the restaurant area. This was very nice, and the food we ordered arrived in plenty of time, presented very well, and tasted wonderful. No rush to leave; all in all a lovely way to spend my birthday. Good choice for vegetarians!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Medway, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We booked our stay on Thursday for a Fri & Sat getaway. We wanted a quiet peaceful break and somewhere relatively close to Glastonbury and The Hollies was perfect for both. The staff were terrific, especially in the dining room and bar. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martock
Ash House Hotel
#8 of 13 in Yeovil
The Manor
The Manor
#10 of 13 in Yeovil

Been to The Hollies Hotel? Share your experiences!