“Fantastic, friendly hotel with great rooms, good food and courteous staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hollies Hotel

The Hollies Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Martock
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, friendly hotel with great rooms, good food and courteous staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

I booked this as a last minute trip and managed to get a Deluxe Double from 29th to 31st August 2009. I looked at booking.com and they quoted a rate of £160 for two nights, a saving of over £40 on the actual Hotels rates. I called the Hotel direct and they honoured the internet price without question. From the receptionist to the room, to the food in the restaurant - nothing could be faulted. Bright, breezy and courteous welcome, excellent room and facilities, restaurant was not brightly lit , one could say it was romantic, and the eyesight quickly adjusted. The waitresses were brilliant in their endeavours to ensure food was served quickly and customers kept happy. This has been the quietest hotel we have ever stayed in and we have been in quite a lot both here and in Europe. Quite remarkable considering that it was fully booked over the weekend. It was a great central position for visiting some of Somerset's most notable tourist spots like Wookey Hole, Cheddar Gorge, Lyme Regis, West Bay, Glastonbury, Fleet Air Arm Museum. In fact the only problem we had was with the weather, which was great on Saturday but really mucky for the next two days. The Hotel Bar and restaurant is not open all day and all night, but you have to remember that this is in the country, not some highly populated urban city centre. We took a nice leisurely stroll through the village into Martock and had excellent home made burger and chips at the Rose and Crown and a lovely chat with Colin, the host. There are two further pubs and a little cafe, but most lunchtime menus stop at 2 or 3p.m. so bear this in mind when you are planning your arrival. I asked the Hotel for a brochure but was told that the design was not agreed yet but was provided a card with all the Hotel's details and their website is very good and kept updated. I thought this was very honest, after all, I could have got the usual "they are at the printers" story. I would highly recommend the Fleet Air Arm Museum, especially their new aircraft carrier exhbit. Kids will love it, as would Dad's of course. However, if, like my husband and I, you are a mature traveller, I was very disappointed with Wookey Hole. I took my children their 10 years ago and remembered it being fascinating. What we met was a glorified children's play and at £15 per adult, I felt it was a total waste of time and money. I will definitely recommend this hotel to friends, family and work colleagues.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
west sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

stayed for two nights with a 1yr old. We booked a half suit but on arrival were upgraded to a full suit, fantastic! the kitchen was really handy for preparing out babies food/milk etc.
We didn't eat in the restaurant but the breakfast was lovely, staff were all friendly and helpful, the owners were nice guys. There was a wedding on the saturday but as we were out it didn't disturb us and when we got back late saturday night once we were in our room we couldn't hear anything but I image it could be noisy if you were nearer the function room. If your staying with a baby, travel cots are free if you take your own bedding but there weren't many so might be easier to take your own and there wasn't many highchairs. The day after the wedding was busy and staff seemed rush off their feet Which I thought was odd as they must be used to being busy the following day but other then that we had a lovely stay and would stay again if we go back to the area.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Midlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

The Hotel was a lot bigger than it looks from the road, set in pretty gardens!! The staff were very helpful and our room was big with nice views (the huge TV on the wall was my fave bit)! The restaurant and bar area is very cosy and the food was scrummy, lots to choose from!!
Such a good find.........shame we only had 2 nights there! Excellent value for our pennies.......

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

This hotel is almost exactly equa distance from London to Cornwall, so with young children its the best place to stay and break your car journey up.

Its not too far off the A303 but far enough away not to here any traffic.
The food is very good and breakfast was lovely.
The old pub that the hotel is connected too is a great place to drink and meet the locals.
You can go for a late afternoon stroll across the fields and even pop to nearby Yeovil Air Museum if you are a keen lover of aircraft.

Its also a goo place for training conferences and team/staff bonding weekends.

Makes a good place for sporting teams - cyclists or just about any one travelling for sport. Each accessible carpark and each room has access to the rear garden and carpark.

They are even prepared to put extra beds in the rooms for children.

• Liked — good stopover and business users hotel too
  • Disliked — not much to do in the immediate surrounding location
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chigwell
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2008

Myself, my husband, son, daughter-in-law and their 10 month old baby twins, decided to eat in the hotel that evening after a long day travelling. The meal was over priced and mediocre, one of the babies was making the ususal baby noises, my son kept going out of the restaurant with her so as not to cause too much of a dissturbance. We had our starter and main course and then the staff seemed to dissapear so we could not order desserts or coffees, we then had to physically get up and look for someone to obtain the bill.
The next morning the waitress asked us very caringly, if we were dinning that evening as they were having a golden wedding party and she did not want us to have to wait too long with the babies for a meal. But later on the apparent lady owner very rudely asked us if we were going in for dinner that evening as there was a golden wedding party and "we cannot have babies crying." We could not believe the attitude of the woman she was very unproffesional. She also informed us that her babies never cried......
When it was time for us to leave we went to receiption to pay the bill. We were not asked if we had anything from the mini bar the previous evening because our drinks were already on the bill, they must have gone into our room and checked whilst we were having breakfast. This is quite definately NOT a baby friendly hotel.

• Liked — location, room and ameneties
  • Disliked — the fact that you had to come out of your hotel to another building for breakfast etc.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank pippala
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2008

We booked the hotel for a Friday night. We were driving to Cornwall for a holiday and, as it was my birthday, we thought it would be a nice treat to break up the journey.

First impression was good as the first building you see is lovely, then you drive round the back and realise you are staying in the building that looks more like a motel.

However, I feel it is only fair to point out that we were given a free upgrade to a junior suite. The room was clean and tidy if in need of updating. We had a sofa, big TV and patio doors. The bathroom was lovely, very big.

So far, not too bad. Then we went to dinner.....My starter was quite salty and just way too big and my husband's was just plain bizarre. I believe it was avocado & prawns, but it was then coated with melted cheese.. due to the heating of the cheese it meant everything else was lukewarm instead of cold.. tepid prawns are not particularly appealing. I then had stroganoff, not good. It tasted like it had come out of tin and the rice that came with it I am certain had been microwaved. We did enquire after desserts but were told that they usually have 6 but tonight they had just two, neither were to our taste and to be honest I had quite lost my appetite by this stage anyway.

We went off to bed quite early as we were quite disappointed and just wanted to get to Cornwall.

As we had paid for breakfast, we thought we should give it a go. I really wish I hadn't bothered. I had poached egg on toast. One of the eggs looked like a rolled up used tissue and when prodded felt like one too.

All in all there were good and bad to this visit, but for me the bad outweighed the good and I would not stay there again.

• Liked — Free upgrade and the bathroom
  • Disliked — The food..it was awful
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debdooblah
Bidford-on-Avon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2008

We stayed for one night on 30/08/08 as we were attending the evening do of a wedding.

Check in was fast and efficient the lady behind reception was welcoming. Check in was officially 16.00 but we didn't have any problem checking in at 13.00.

We had a courtyard room, with patio doors opening onto a grassed courtyard, it is very pleasent. The bedroom and bathroom are of a good size and seem to be newly decorated. The is a 42" TV in the room a sofa, coffee table, wardrobe, desk, dressing table and a bed which was comfy but only a double - personally I would have liked to loose the sofa and have had a bigger bed! Everything was clean and tidy.

The biggest draw back with the hotel was that due to the wedding ( a civil do at the hotel) the bar and restaurant were closed all day, and there was no where to get food and drink before 6pm except out of the mini bar. We were not informed of this fact when we booked the rooms. There is another local pub within a 5 min walk but they only serve lunch until 13.45. We had travelled for 3 1/2 to get there and knew we wouldn't get fed at the wedding till 8 ish at the earliest. Us and a few others ended up having to go into yoevil to find somewhere to get food.

Breakfast was good usual cereal/ fruit/ fruit juice followed by cooked variations of egg/ bacon/ mushroon/ beans or pancakes and toast.

Overall my opion is that I would stay here again so long as there was not a wedding taking place. I know people spend a lot of money on weddings but if the establishment is taking room bookings (they did not know when we booked that we would be attending the evening do) it should provide the service it offers or at least inform people that services may be restricted!

• Disliked — having to check out at 10.30
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Martock
Lanes Hotel
Yeovil Court Hotel & Restaurant
The Manor
The Manor
#10 of 13 in Yeovil

Been to The Hollies Hotel? Share your experiences!