“Breath of Fresh Air for family & friends”
Review of The Rusty Axe

The Rusty Axe
Ranked #3 of 13 Restaurants in Martock
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Having lived locally for 20yrs & seen various people try to make a success of this place, mostly without any apparent ability/flair, just the hope to make a £££ killing . . . . . . ,

Its really great to see Tash & John demonstrate considerable flair, as experienced pub keepers in assessing whats needed from the place - not what they want it to do : So as well as putting on new entertainment , KEEPING THE BEER WELL & offering a range of good value food, places to relax, music and generally develop the type of hostelry it was 2 decades ago- We've missed it & they are a real part of the locale

Well done both , who are welcoming , flexible, family & pet orientated,

2  Thank Stephen M

Reviewed 23 May 2014

tripadvisor, in my experience, almost never gets it wrong. when somewhere has a fair amount of good reviews, 9 times out of ten you can totally understand why. this place, sadly, was the rogue '1'.
totally bland, characterless interior and absolutely inedible chilli con carne. I have no concept of how any kitchen serving food to the public could produce such a slimy, tasteless, greasy mess. I can't remember the last time I didn't eat a meal I was paying for- here, it was literally a couple of mouthfuls and I left it. my husband had foolishly ordered the steak, and whilst not as bad as mine- i.e. inedible- it was chewy and tasteless.
needless to say we won't be returning and would advise anyone wanting any kind of decent food or character to avoid this place like the plague. yuck :o(

1  Thank vexed77
Reviewed 20 May 2014

First of all I would like to point out that this is my first time using this service. (Tripadvisor) so I apologise if my review goes a bit off course.

The Rusty Axe of Martock has to be one of the greatest pubs I have visited so far.

I travel along the A303 on a regular basis, usually on my own but occasionally with my small family. On this occasion we decided to pop into Martock and see if there were any places for dinner.

(The below statement is about the first pub we visited that day which was AWEFUL. I will not name and shame the pub on here, however I will be doing a separate review on them)

"Unfortionatly" for us we did come across a pub in Martock, it looked nice from the outside so we went in expecting a great evening.
The pub was completely "abandoned" with no customers or staff to be seen, we stood waiting for a few minutes feeling incredibly out of place and wondering if we should even be in there. Eventually someone come out and seen us but instead of greeting us as guests to his establishment he spoke to us as if we were an inconvenience to them, incredibly forward with his words and very abrupt answers "yes" "no" "probably not".
I took my son to the toilet and IT WAS FILTHY...!!!!
Expecting the same cleanliness from the kitchen I collected my family and we left.

After driving about for a few minutes we stopped a local at the side of the road and asked for advice on a local pub, the gentleman recommended the rusty axe as being the best in the area so we went forth on our mission for food.

We arrived at The Rusty Axe about 18:00 and were greeted immediately by the landlords, despite being busy with other customers they still had the time to talk to us and make my family feel incredibly welcome.

We were not rushed to order like the usual pubs and restaurants do.

The menu catered for all of us, My son went for a genuine Stone Baked pizza, my partner had the "Famous Rusty Burger" and I went for the steak. Our meals were cooked to perfection....!!!!
The food presentation was brilliant and we ate every last bite.

Once we finished our meal we were not shoo'd away quickly like most places do, quite the opposite.! Children were playing outside in the garden play house and my son was GLEEMING with excitement after seeing the young chicks being reared for fresh eggs.

We will be visiting the rusty axe again very soon, live music nights, beer garden, pool table, AMAZING FOOD, great for kids and awesome VALUE..!!

Thank you Rusty Axe.

Ps, after reading a few reviews on here first, it is clear to see that the below review is a desperate negative review from a local landlord.... How sad.

2  Thank ATPR-DAZZA
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Had been meaning to try this attractive-looking pub for some weeks, so we arrived around 11.50 a.m. and waited for them to open. Attractive-looking interior. Ordered a pint of Thatchers for Mrs P, upon which the barmaid told us the barrel had run out and disappeared to the cellar. returned after about 2-3 minutes and then told us the air had run out. Disappeared again. Returned and told us she had to phone someone for help. By 12.15 p.m. we still hadn't got a drink, left and went to the excellent Duke of York in Shepton Beauchamp. Don't bother with this one, the Wyndham Arms up the road is fa superior, and that landlord is a gent.

2  Thank David P
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Last week we were holidaying in Somerset. Whilst out exploring the local sights The Rusty Axe was recommended to us. We were not disappointed! The owners were lovely and it had a lovely family feel. The food was amazing, we had the fish cakes, delicious! We would definitely visit again if we found ourselves in the local area.

1  Thank Clare0276