“Excellent”

Ranked #2 of 23 Restaurants in Ponteland
Price range: US$8 - US$33
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are the leading pub in terms of Real Ales in the area. We have the accreditation from Cask Marque and are in the Good Beer Guide. Our food is cooked using fresh ingredients and to the highest standard. We have top quality chefs who have exacting standards. our car park is also a popular dogging venue. Please come and visit
Reviewed 25 March 2016

Have been many times now, both in the restaurant and the bar, we have never been disappointed. The food has always been of a good standard, I would especially recommend the tempura prawns and fish and chips. The management and staff are warm and welcoming as is the decor. I'm looking forward to my next Sunday lunch.

2  Thank Lynn D

Reviewed 24 March 2016 via mobile

My husband and I only live along the road and so chose to visit on a rare night when we could get a babysitter. Wish we hadn't bothered really. We each ordered burger and chips which took an hour to arrive. The burger was ok but not worth an hour wait. We then ordered chocolate brownie for desert but gave up after waiting after 20 minutes! Very disappointed on a rare night out after having excellent meals here in the past. Service was poor. Will not be hurrying back.

2  Thank Ellabud
hannah g, Marketing Manager at The Blackbird, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2016

Dear Ellabud

So sorry to hear you did not enjoy your latest visit especially when you have done previously. We were unfortunately extremely busy at the time of your visit both in the restaurant and with a party in our Minstrel Gallery.
I have however investigated this fully and whilst the delay was not quite as long as it may have appeared it was never the less longer than it should have been. As you live so close we would hope that you will call and dine again, should you do so please ask for Stuart or Sue and as well as ensuring all runs smoothly we would like to offer you a complimentary round of drinks.

Reviewed 20 March 2016

Took a friend here for a birthday treat. I can't speak for the restaurant as we had a bar meal at lunchtime and we were seated in a small dining room to the side of the bar which was described by the staff as "quiet" which it definitely was not.. Noisy atmosphere could hardly hear each other speak.. Service very slow. Food average. Dessert took so long to arrive we gave up and left without it. Very disappointing. My first and last visit.

1  Thank jbx22016
hannah g, Public Relations Manager at The Blackbird, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2016

Dear jbx22016,

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience.

As I am sure you will appreciate we were extremely busy at the time of your visit and at times like these the constraints of operating within a grade 2 listed building can at times slow down service. This unfortunately lead to your desserts taking 10 minutes to prepare and whilst not acceptable they were indeed ready for you when you chose to leave.

Whilst we appreciate you would have preferred a quiet lunch, at weekends and peak times we are generally quite a lively establishment although we would always try to find somewhere quiet where possible if requested. Unfortunately the point in question we were not able to do so as we were simply too busy.

Kindest regards

Hannah

Reviewed 20 March 2016

We have now been twice and loved the ambience the food the service and the history of the place. Thankyou for making Mother's Day so special!

1  Thank Juliees
Reviewed 12 March 2016

After being here a few weeks past for an evening meal upstairs for Valentines Night prior to flying on holiday . We thought we would give the bar food a try and like the evening meal it was top nosh . We were welcomed by Alex as we stepped a through the door at 12 noon . The bar is warm an welcome just like the staff . Great start . I had a pint of Timothy Taylor missy had a soft drink spot on . I ordered Battered Haddock Thick cut chips mushy tartare sauce . Missy had the Pie of the day which was steak mushroom bacon . The food arrived after about 15 minutes considering it was busy . Boy we were NOT disappointed my fish was a large portion cooked perfect . White fish crispy batter and thick well cooked chips mushy pea's and tartre sauce missy's pie was a large portion with creamy mash and great selection of veg . The food was piping hot well presented and staff very attentive . Not a crumb was left on the plates if says it all . It was the best presented tastiest fish and chips I have had in many years . My wife says the same regarding pie of the day . Hats off to ALEX he seemed to be running the show today 12.03.2016 at lunch time . As we live further north in Alnwick we do visit or pass through Ponteland fairly often visiting family. We will return without a doubt to this very friendly pub and eatery .

2  Thank Leslie S