“Excellent!”

Ranked #2 of 7 Box B&B and Inns
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed here for one night and chose this beautiful bed and breakfast after reading many reviews and it didn't disappoint!
The staff were friendly and welcoming the room ( downstairs with a wet room ) was pure luxury and the breakfast was delicious,filled us for the day :-)
I would 100% recommend a stay here-faultless!

• Stayed January 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
shanklin
Reviewed 7 January 2014

My partner & I stayed at Lorne House just before xmas as a treat. When we arrived at 5pm just after dark we didn't know where to park as their car park was full, so had to pull over to make a quick call to the b&b to ask where we could? The lady told us (quite abruptly) we could park next door at the doctors surgery which we did. I'd called Mike when I booked our room which I was under the impression that we had booked the 'Dickens room?' as I was looking at the website whilst talking to him. Mike said it had a view of the garden & black tiles in the shower room. When we were shown to 'our room' it clearly wasn't the room he describe or I'd seen online? 'Our room' was downstairs (so under road level) at the front of the b&b no where near the garden at the back!? I checked my confirmation email and cleverly its written as a 'standard double' not as a name or number!
It wasn't the room I'd been promised but the room we had been given was still quite nice and the shower wet room was good. It was nice, clean & cosy with large fluffy towels and a massive bed! Tea/coffee/biscuits in our room too, so didn't really need to complain. Mike had told us when he showed us to our room that they were fully booked and that everyone wanted b/fast at 9am so asked if we could come down later at 9.15am. Lay in...Yes of course we can! We walked upstairs to b/fast for 9.15am and there was no room in the b/fast room for us to sit. We went for a walk up the road to give them another 10mins but again when we got back there was still no where to sit. A family who'd finished eating saw we were waiting and left the table for us to sit down. The young waitress was very apologetic, the other lady didn't even say good morning to us and they both cleared the table whilst we still waited! Breakfast was ok but then felt like we were clock watching as check out was at 10.30am.Mike came in to the breakfast room wearing an apron whilst we were eating, so being polite and to make conversation I asked "Are you the Chef?" (Ready to compliment him on what we were eating) He replied "No I wear it for the fun of it!" which I thought was very abrupt as I looked at my partner thinking I'd said something stupid? Lorne House is still a very nice B&B hence why I wont mark it any lower but did feel that we were a slight hindrance and not treated as 'guests'.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
mikeralli, Owner at Lorne House, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thanks for the review.
I am extremely sorry that your experience wasn't perfect and must confess that I had not noted that you had requested the Dickens room and as a result put you into the other standard double room . This was entirely my own fault for which I sincerely apologise and certainly it was not meant to be clever or underhanded in any way.

I'm sorry that the reaction to your phone call appeared abrupt and again assure you that it was not meant .

Unfortunately at breakfast time we had some large families who came down late and stayed a long time at the table, one of them for a whole hour and as a result it clogged up our new dining room and caused the delay for you . It doesn't happen often but it was just one of those days. I'm glad that the young waitress was very apologetic.

Our check out is 10.30 but if asked we will extend it, so again I'm sorry that you felt pressurised to move on, it wasn't necessary.

Finally I'm so sorry about the misunderstanding re . the apron comment as it really was meant as a joke. I use that comment as a joke all the time as many people ask me if I'm the chef when I wear it . I'm mortified that it came over the wrong way and won't say it to anyone ever again !

It seems that our standards have slipped slightly on a couple of occasions recently and that we may have suffered from the Xmas rush blues, but we do value our guests very highly and enjoy everyone's company and that we certainly never feel that anyone is a hindrance . We shall do our very best to improve.

I hope that you will accept this apology in the spirit that it is offered and thank you, that under the circumstances, you still saw your way to award us 4 out of 5.
Broxbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

We visited Lorne House B&B to stay while seeing the Bath Christmas market, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Lorne House is well appointed and decorated very tastefully, boutique meets Laura Ashley. Despite being on the main road, this did not put us off booking, and while there the road noise was minimum.

Our room on the top floor was not big but had enough room for its purpose. We had a lovely view from the large velux window and the queen size bed was very comfortable. The ensuite wet room was well done and tasteful with modern fittings. Both rooms were very clean. Hot drink facilities were on hand but we noticed they weren't refreshed or topped up after we used them. A little detail like this is noted but really would go a long way to show attention to details and customer service. The room was very warm and cozy. We even turned it down! Nice knowing the weather's cold outside.

Downstairs the breakfast room is nice and the decor welcoming and relaxed. Our breakfast was very nice and the cereals, cooked breakfast and fruits were all very good. The only two negatives were my wife's egg wasn't cooked as she wanted meaning she couldn't eat it, and the room only just manages to fill a full booking, as we witnessed another couple being moved while guests squeezed past chairs. But these are very minor points. Overall it was lovely.

One thing we noticed while we were in our room in bed was a storage cupboard in the hallway was often being used even when late. Fortunately we weren't asleep but this would of disturbed us. A note really for the owners to be aware of.

Car parking is well accommodated but not ideal. You can park at Lorne House but only for two or three Cars as the driveways limited. A Doctor's surgery next door has a carpark which can be used but the times are not exclusive. This may be off putting for some. Check the details with the owners first.

Another thing worth pointing out is the railway line to the rear of Lorne House. It's not right at the rear but it can be definitely heard. Trains run quite early to. It's not a major issue but it is noticeable.

The owners of Lorne were reasonably friendly. In fact they could of made more effort. I understand owners worry about being over friendly to guests that some people feel crowded, but I think the charm of staying in a B&B is being friendly with owners and chatting. Maybe the owners have had issues with this before? But they were nice and polite when conversation started even if short.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and we would return again and recommend Lorne to others. We hope the points raised are constructive and are not intended to offend. Hopefully in the future any further visit would be rewarded with top marks.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
mikeralli, Owner at Lorne House, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for the review of your visit which we are pleased you enjoyed.
In response to your constructive comments we have not taken any offence but would like to correct one or two errors and to apologise for our shortcomings.

The bed in the room , described in your review as a Queen size, is in fact a Super King 6' wide x 6'6" long.

We do, as a matter of course, replenish all teas/coffes etc.. after use for people who are with us for more than a day and on this occasion our staff must have overlooked it for which we apologise . If you had only let us know we would have replenished it straight away for you.

The Dining/Breakfast room has been proving a little small so, since your visit, we have moved it to a larger room at the front of the building and it is proving to be very popular and a great success.

The issue with your wife's egg is a concern as we pride ourselves on the excellent comments that we normally get re. our breakfast as you will see from many other reviews. You do not mention exactly what was wrong with it and again if you had only mentioned it at the time and requested exaclly how she wanted it we would have willingly cooked her another one more to her taste.

There is no storage cupboard in the hallway outside the bedroom and we think you must have confused it for the door to our apartment which is on the same level. There isn't much we can do about having to go in and out of it as it is our home but it hasn't previously been a problem .

Parking can be tight when we have a full house of 7 rooms but it is incorrect to say that we can only park 2 or 3 cars. We can park 7 cars on the drive and frequently do . We think that maybe you did not notice the area at the rear which accomodates 4 cars as well as the drive to the side. We do also have use of the Surgery car park next door on week - ends as well as unrestricted parking in a road opposite . So altogether much more free parking than you are likely to get at any B&B in Bath !

The railway line is slightly audible from the room you were in as it is at the rear at the top of the house. We're glad that it was not a major issue for you and has not been for any previous guests. Most people like the fact that it was that raliway line that inspired The Rev. Awdry to write The Thomas the Tank Engine books as a result of watching the tank Engine come up from Box station.

We are very sorry that we only came over as "reasonably friendly", as you can see from previous reviews we normally do better than that ! . Any detachment on our part is not intended and we can only apologise and assume that as it was the first weekend of the Xmas market, and we were extremely busy, that we were just preoccupied . It is heartening to know that when we did have a conversation that we were nice & polite.

We do hope that you come and stay with us again and that you will find that we have taken your constructive comments on board and indeed do achieve top marks.
Dunstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Just a short comment. We stayed at Lorne House for 3 nights. All we can say is what an amazing place. Mike and his wife are brilliant. Very warm and welcoming. Home from home with an amazing breakfast. Would recommend anyone to stay. 7 minutes from Bath city centre which is perfect and they give you all the advise you need. Lovely pubs, great food, fantastic people. Thanks for everything. Will be seeing you again very soon. Adam & Alex x

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Redbourn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My husband and I along with my brother, sister in law and 5 year old nephew stayed at Lorne House one night as we were visiting Bath Christmas Market. Mike and Fran were lovely and made us feel very welcome. My husband and I had the newest room up in the attic which was spotlessly clean, warm and cosy, with a wonderful view over the countryside. The bathroom/wet room was great with a powerful shower, plenty of hot water and lovely toiletries.

My brother and his family also had a beautiful room which I believe was probably W J Awdry (of Thomas the Tank Engine fame) childhood bedroom. They had a bath and a large shower which again was spotless.

Breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice and in a stunning breakfast room, we weren't rushed and were offered more toast, tea and coffee.

We were all sad to leave this wonderful B&B and wished we could have stayed longer, but now we have found this gem we will be returning. Thank you Mike and Fran, you have a beautiful home

Room Tip: We had rooms 2 and 7 which were lovely so I'm sure all rooms are equally great
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank marleycat21
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here at the weekend, had a warm welcome and the B&B had information readily to hand on local tourist attractions etc. The owner recommended a restaurant within the village which was fantastic as we were going to go to another pub which apparently is hit or miss. The rooms are at a very high standard and I loved the generosity of the large bath sheets (normally in hotels can be on the mean side) and the room facilities were high standard. We were asked to sit to breakfast early but we did agree as we understood the breakfast room could not fit all guests at once. Breakfast was superb and loved the homemade lemon curd! Would highly recommend this high quality B&B.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Wimborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed in this B&B for a one off trip with my mum after shopping in Bath and was so pleased. Beautiful well decorated rooms, hygienic bathroom, everything you could need. Great location and lovely people hosting. Felt very welcome, highly recommend

Room Tip: (Unsure on children's activities and no swimming pool)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Box
Guyers House Hotel
Dukes Hotel
Dukes Hotel
#2 of 34 in Bath
Best Western Plus Angel Hotel

Been to Lorne House? Share your experiences!