“Be careful when booking online”
Review of The Northey

The Northey
Ranked #1 of 7 Box B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

I booked the superior double on laterooms.com i chose this room because of the larger bathroom with a bath,on arrival you enter the hotel via the restaurant and it wasnt clear where we needed to go we approached the bar staff who didnt seem to be aware of our arrival she led us to our room (room 5) as soon as I entered it was clear to me it wasnt the superior room we had booked it was very small I asked to see the bathroom there was no bath I asked her is this a superior room she confirmed it was not (it was the executive) I explained I had booked the superior and showed her my confirmation email, she said there were no superior rooms left and no rooms with a bath, I was very annoyed, disappointed and confused and questioned how this could happen they should not advertise the room online if its not avaliable she used the poor excuse that the rooms all go so quick online its hard to keep track! And said normally a superior room costs £160 and said i only paid £100 (so i should be grateful for the executive room) I was disgusted with this attitude as the room was in a sale and suggested if they have a oribkem with me paying that amount they shouldn't advertise it or put it in the sale! asked to speak with the manager she contacted him via telephone and came back and reenforced that there is no superior rooms left and offered us £20, by this point we'd been there almost an hr we decided to leave and booked sonewhere else I felt too uncomfortable to stay there and disappointed that I didnt get what I paid for in the way out we met the manager who was very apologetic. Around 10 mins after leaving the manager called stating he had a superior room with a bath now I was so angry that we'd just wasted an hr of our break being sworn blind to that there were no superior rooms and wrnt through the stress of trying to book elsewhere then miraculousy a room appears we felt lied too and insulted we promptly declined. This hotel is decorated to a good spec but the customer service is shocking

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank char211283
NortheyBox, Manager at The Northey, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Madame,

I am again very sorry for the inconvenience that you were caused. However please take into consideration the following:
We are aware that this was our mistake and not the bookings, however the member of staff that showed you to your room was unaware of the booking you had made and for this we apologize, but as soon as we realized our mistake and I managed to arrive in time to meet you both, then realizing our mistake I rang you and offered the superior room you originally booked, which then you declined understandably. We were upset to think that you had missed out on what could have been a very pleasurable stay, great area, brilliant food and fantastic atmosphere. I hope this hasn't put you off staying or dining with us in the future.

There are newer reviews for The Northey

Reviewed 6 January 2014

My husband Robert and I stayed for just one night as part of my birthday celebrations before heading into Bath Spa the next day to do some sightseeing and shopping.
The hotel/pub looked really nice and quaint from the outside but inside it was beautifully furnished in a very tasteful modern style – a perfectly balanced mix. The owners had obviously done a very good job on modernising the amenities whilst maintaining the old world charm – no easy task.
We had a nice double room with a large ensuite bathroom with a lovely deep bath + walk in shower.
My only criticism is that no downlight was on above the bath which made it a little difficult to read my book whilst I languished amongst the bubbles!
We went into the comfortable lounge area and had pre-dinner drinks before being shown to our table in the restaurant. Dinner was delicious - I had roast partridge and Robert had salmon. He was somewhat disappointed with the cheese board to follow as it only had 5 instead of 6 cheeses. He did not particularly like the 2 soft cheeses – which he said tasted slightly “off” but one was goat’s cheese which can sometimes taste like that. My trio of crème brulee were nice if a little skimpy on portion.
Breakfast in the morning was plentiful and freshly cooked to order and we were easily able to ask for more toast and tea.
All in all a delightful stay and I would recommend it for its food, its charm, its comfort and its closeness to Bath Spa.

Room Tip: Choose room 2 - fabulous!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Chose venue for a friends birthday breakfast.
Bacon over cooked
Veggie breakfast poor value and cold
Poached eggs on bread not toast disgusting ..
Water from eggs made bread soggy.
Plus had a girl hovering near us, couldn't hear a thing.
In the end we decided to walk out without paying and left everything on table.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Booked hotel and restaurant for weekend. Checked in early before grabbing the bus to Bath. From the moment we introduced ourselves we were met with the very best of service. Great atmosphere, with food of the highest quality. All for a very reasonable price, loved it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Having booked in for two nights my partner was concerned about the proximity of the main road. On the map I had noticed it was on the A4, a main route between Chippenham and Bath. We arrived on a Sunday and the road was quiet, quite different from the car park which was busy. We were greeted in a pleasant manner an shown to our room, which was on the back, with no noise from the road or the busy restaurant below. The bedroom and the bathroom were large and well appointed with all the add-ons you would want for a pleasant stay, with the add bonus of a balcony, which would be great to use in the summer.
Our first night was slightly spoiled by the neighbouring room playing music until 1am. The second night was deathly quiet albeit for the odd tranquil whoosh from the Bath-London train.
Breakfasts we or good quality and made to order which is always good, there is nothing worse than breakfast from hotplate.
We decided to eat in the restaurant on the second night, the menu suits all tastes and appetites.
The service was superb and the meal exceptional. From Pork Belly to Pigeon for starters to steaks and Calves Liver for mains. Our compliments to the chef.
Our only niggle was that there was a funny aroma in the bathroom, which we could only put down to the water, as everything was spotless.
I would be confident in recommending The Northey to anyone and we will be definitely going again.

Room Tip: We had room 1, on the back and away from the road
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Itchy306
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Hotel is wonderful, comfortable and lovely service. The absolute downside is the noise from the main road which is very noisy, so don't expect to have a lie in!! Traffic starts at 0530. There is old fashioned sliding glazed inner glazing on some windows which does deter some traffic noise. As it is a period property obviously is not allowed to have double glazing but the noise was pretty bad if you intend on sleeping in !

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed here for two nights as part of the package deal that they do with dinner. The room was beautifully decorated with an amazing big bathroom. It was all spotlessly clean and decorated to a high standard. We had a three course meal in the restaurant which was all of good quality and service good too. It was all very relaxing and would stay again.

Room Tip: Room No 1 is the only room with a balcony but all rooms are of excellent quality.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sleafordSwindon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Box
Rudloe Arms
Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel
Dukes Hotel
Dukes Hotel
#2 of 31 in Bath

Been to The Northey? Share your experiences!