“Excellent”
Review of The Bear at Box - CLOSED

The Bear at Box
Cuisines: British, Indian, Asian, Fusion, Bangladeshi
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Blakeney, null, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Went on a business meal & wanted to try somewhere away from the hotel. We were very impressed. Food was fantastic - spicy & really tasty; staff great - attentive but ascertain we were talking business so gave us space. It's not licensed - but a good Co-op 2 mins walk down the road (they're doing good business now!!). We will definitely go again

Visited June 2014

“Now The Bengal Bear at Box[Indian Restaurant]”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was recommended by someone who lived in the village so we decided to try it and it did not disappoint.Took our own drinks as there is no licence.Very nicely refurbished with modern plates and dishes.The owner Afzal made us very welcome and chatted about the refurb from an old C17 pub. The food was delicious and very tasty...c/t freshly cooked and husband thought the onion bahjis were best he's tasted.Big light plain nan,pilau rice,sag aloo all good and the chicken is the masala was so soft and tender.A really enjoyable evening.We shall return.I would suggest tweaking the mint sauce from pink to yellow and make it more tasty.

3 Thank Brian N
“Beautiful Pub Conversion”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is a high-quality pub conversion. Fitted carpets, marbled loos, concealed lighting, crisp table linen, food warmers: all good indicators in my book. We arrived before six on a Friday: any later and we may not have secured a table as they had a stack of bookings. But before it filled up the ample waiting staff had too little to do and consequently were perhaps somewhat over-attentive. Food arrived swiftly and was plentiful, with good quality meat in my dansak and my wife's tandoori. It was under-spiced to my taste, but I am a bit of a chilli addict, and I should have realised that a restaurant serving phall would not serve a particularly hot dansak. The music was over-loud when we arrived but the staff happily turned it down when we mentioned it. The bill was lower than we usually pay in Bath, reflecting it's out-of-town location. Overall, we were impressed with the Bengal Bear and welcome a quality new Indian to 'our patch'. I'm confident we'll visit again.

The restaurant has its own car park and is on several local bus routes (there's no railway station, alas). It's not licensed but does not charge corkage so bring a good bottle if you're not driving and save a few quid!

2 Thank Western_Lord
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Bengal Bear - A Nice Indian Restaurant overall”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This was a family meal with six of us eating.

The restaurant is now called the Bengal Bear having been converted from a pub called the bear. The decor is nice, fresh and modern. The staff were pleasant although they seemed a little bit new to this business. That was not a problem.

The food was generally well received.

Unfortunately there were two dishes that were not great at all; I had a lamb vindaloo and my daughter had a lamb dhansak. The vindaloo was simply not one in my view. It tasted of some middle ground bland sauce. The dhansak was far too sweet and no where near sour. These are two dishes I eat regularly and how good they are colour my experience.

The vegetable side dishes were all good. Rice was nice but very small portions.

It is currently unlicenced and a BYO. I have been to many of these over the years but never one that left people with all their bottles in bags on or near the tables, like this. Very amateurish.

The soft drink prices were worth a moan. They pushed large ones which were in fact small. They were expensive for what they were. They in fact sell coke in cans at a much lower price but this was not apparent when we ordered.

I would not go back due to reasons stated above, but my wife liked her food and the place so she would.

Overall a nice place and I am sure most people would enjoy their visit.

It seems that I never get a top meal on my birthday. An immutable law of nature!

2 Thank Bill R
Corsham, United Kingdom
“Excellent all round!”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We visited The Bengal Bear for the first time this evening on the recommendation of a friend, and we weren't disappointed.
The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful, the food was incredible and the general atmosphere was very warm.
The food was all brought out very quickly (although, it was early and to begin with we were the only ones there...) and the staff were really attentive, without being a nuisance.
Our 4 year old daughter was made to feel very welcome and involved, too, which pleased her.
We were a table of 4 adults and 1 child, the table was heaving with food, we all came out feeling full and the bill was less than £90, which we thought was excellent value.
Overall, a really great experience and we'll definitely be going back, although booking is probably advised.

2 Thank Mrs_H119