“News Year Masquerade Party”
Review of Ashbourne Hotel

Ashbourne Hotel
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Another fantastic New Year at the Ashbourne. Lovely food, excellent staff and an evening full of laughter! Definitely recommend the Ashbourne to see in the New Year, can't wait to book for next year =)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Andrew S, General Manager at Ashbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Very many thanks for the review of the New Years Eve Celebration at the Ashbourne Hotel, it's great to see you return and to know that you will be back in 2014, I have passed on your comments to all of the staff

Very best regards

Reviewed 29 December 2013

We had our wedding reception here on 14th December and it was everything we could have wanted and more! The Christmas decorations were all up and the room looked like a Winter Wonderland! Rob was so helpful, he was always on hand to tell us where we needed to go and what to do next. The food was lovely (wedding breakfast and also the breakfast the next day) and the sparkling wine included in the package was also nice (sometimes they aren't the best at weddings, a bit cheap)

We had a dance routine for our first dance and we were able to go to the hotel a week before the wedding to practice on the dance floor. December is obviously a busy time of year for functions so we're even more grateful for this!

The room was lovely, because it was so windy we had quite a lot of our pictures taken in there and it was a great backdrop. The bathroom looked great although unfortunately we didn't get chance to use the Jacuzzi bath!

All in all we could not have asked for any more. In response to the review below, it was us who were the other wedding party and the bar area had the door half closed with a sign on it stating that it was a private party so there really is no excuse. We requested for them to be asked to leave, it was our special day so of course we didn't want another wedding party there! From my point of view the staff dealt with it the best way they could.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review of your wedding at the Ashbourne Hotel, it's great to read that you enjoyed you day and Rob and the team looked after you so well, it also good to read that we could help out with practicing your dance routine, I have passed on your comments to Rob and the Team

Reviewed 24 December 2013

This is the second time I’ve stayed. The first time I booked one of the Exclusive rooms. On entering the room I was less than impressed to find I had been given a standard room. The receptionist at the time was very vague as to why we hadn’t been given the room which I’d booked and instead offered us an alternative. It was fine, just not the treat we’d been expecting. Afterwards I found out that our room had been allocated to someone else after my booking. Not very good service that time.

Our second stay was over the weekend 13th to 15th December. I was reluctant to book again but the location was handy for mine and my husband’s wedding. The room we were allocated was nice but the bathroom was beginning to show some signs of wear and tear on the floor (cracked tiles). But the biggest problem was the attitude of some of the staff on the Saturday evening.

We returned from our own wedding reception for a last drink with some friends and family and sat in the bar. We were unaware that the wedding party that was taking place at the hotel had booked out the bar area too and we were asked, quite rudely, to leave the area by one of the staff members. I just think this could have been handled in a much nicer way – after all were we not paying guests too?

Breakfast was ok. The dining room was very cold though and could have done with some more lighting and music to give the place a warmer feel. The service could have been better too. There were 8 of us dining together for breakfast and I had to ask twice for my food. It eventually came out after everyone else had finished.

Like I say, this hotel promises to be much more than it is. I don’t think anyone would be happy to pay the prices they charge for cracked flooring and rude service. It’s just disappointing more than anything. Saying that it’s in a convenient location and the rooms are very nice in general. I think next time we stay in the area we might stay closer to Grimsby or Scunthorpe and save our money by staying a Premier Inn – or go down the road and stay at the Haborough Hotel if it’s for a special occasion.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank melzie84

Very many thanks for your honest review, I will look into the issues with your first stay, as I can't see any reason why you would be dropped 2 room grades, but I will follow this issue and try to give you an explanation.

On your second visit, the lounge area was as you booked out to a wedding party which had paid room hire for this area to be private, and we had a sign out to the effect that if was a private party beyond the lounge door, as I understand it you missed this sign which we can understand. The assistant manager politely brought this to your attention on the night, and offered you an alternative area to sit and have a drink, I believe he even offered to help you with your belongings at the end of the night when you returned to your room.

I understand it can be disappointing to be asked to move to a different area, particularly on your wedding night, however we had accepted the booking from the wedding party and therefore had a duty to look after them, as we do you as a paying customer, I can only apologise if you feel you were treated differently but I can assure you this was not our intention, we pride ourselves on our customer service and if I am honest I get fantastic feedback on our customer service and the staff in general.

as I say I am sorry if on this occasion you felt you had been treated differently but this was never our intention

Once again thank you for your review

very best wishes

Reviewed 19 December 2013

Have stayed here a few times when up on business. The hotel is a lovely place and the staff really friendly both on reception and in the bar/restaurant. The rooms are well furnished and the free wifi is good. Silly little things spoil it sometimes. Just a trickle of water out of the cold tap in the bathroom which wasn't good and the lights in the bedroom are really dim so you can't actually see very well what you're doing. Was also given a disabled room without being asked if that was ok as not a fan of the wet room type of shower. Having said that it not bad.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Many thanks for the review of your recent stay at the Ashbourne Hotel, sorry for the little bits you found to be, lets say a nuisance regrettably when guests book through third party websites, they will get automatically allocated to certain room types, and it is not always obvious to the reception staff if you have requested a disabled room or not, so it is generally the best policy to keep you in a the room booked online in case you have specifically requested a disabled room. I will discuss the merits of calling guests booking online when allocated to a disabled room to confirm this is what they actually require with the reception manager.

It is great to know that you enjoyed the hotel in general and found the staff helpful and friendly

Reviewed 2 December 2013

Excellent food, Haddock dishes excellent
Great wine list
Friendly efficient staff (Andrew, Sally, Laura and Amanda stood out)
Clean comfortable rooms
All requests dealt with efficiently and without fuss
Will be coming back again

Room Tip: Ask for a new Annex room
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Andrew S, General Manager at Ashbourne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Thank you very much for the review of your experience at the Ashbourne Hotel, I have passed on your comments to the staff and made those mentioned in your review aware of your thanks

Reviewed 1 December 2013

This was our third stay at the Ashbourne,and may well be our last. We stayed last year on our wedding anniversary and had a room in the newer annex.

Previously we had married here and had our afternoon reception 6 years ago and couldn't fault our day, however although we stayed overnight, we didn't have our evening here, so there was no late night partying. which was basically the main problem in our recent stay.

We were at a family wedding and booked a room a few months ago, quoting that we were with a wedding party and receiving a 10% discount.
The day was brilliant, although the drinks were VERY expensive....£2.53 for cola? has someone just thought of a number and added a bit on.
We have seen previous reviews about rooms 102/103 being noisy, we were in room 104 which turned out to be directly above the bar so we could actually hear people talking.I cant blame revellers for this as they are more than likely unaware of the problem until they are spoken to by a grumpy guest who is trying to sleep at 02.30.which I had to do
We spoke to reception on checking out but they didn't see it as their problem.
It was ours!
Ours because we booked a Standard room, and the other guests for making the noise
Although it got a little quieter after I had been down, my wife is a lighter sleeper than me and didn't get to sleep at all
OK it was party time, but the hotel needs to manage late night guests in this area or not use these rooms, I don't think it fair to take money from people knowing there is a problem with noise in this area. Which I'm sure they must know about.

On all 3 occasions the rooms have been really good, although my personal preference would be for 2 flatter pillows on the bed rather than one thick as I found it to be too high for me.

Breakfast was ok for me but my wife had to send hers back as it wasn't very warm

Avoid rooms upstairs in the main block if there is any sort of celebration going on

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank stevewheat

Many thanks for the review of your stay at the Ashbourne last Saturday night.

As a response to previous customer feedback we now hold a number of smaller pillows for guests who find our normal pillows too high, if you do take the opportunity to stay with us gain please let us know that you would prefer smaller pillows and we will be only too happy to make them available for you.

As you mentioned we are clearly aware that the noise from a function can be heard in the rooms in the main building, for this reason we do only put guests attending the function in these rooms, this is not to say that guests attending the function don't deserve a good nights sleep simply that as a rule the noise does tend finish at the same time as the function. On this occasion a number of guests from your function stayed behind and regrettably the noise generated by their conversation could be heard upstairs despite being asked by yourself and the night porter to keep the conversation to a reasonable level. This is clearly not an ideal situation and I will look to making further arrangement to accommodate this issue when we have future functions.

I would also like to thank you for the positive comments as well on each of your stays at the Ashbourne and I hope you do take the opportunity to stay with us a gain in the future

very best regards

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I stayed in this hotel for two weeks in November 2013 and found this hotel as good as I have anywhere in Europe (I do a lot of travel for work purposes) Food is amazing, with daily specials to supplement a menu that is superb in both variety and quality. Hotel rooms are warm, comfortable, very spacious and clean. General decor and cleanliness within the whole hotel is outstanding but it is the staff that really make this place what it is. Everyone I have met here make you feel like you are the most important guest in the world but also, more importantly, they talk to you like you're a friend. This hotel is an absolute credit to Lincolnshire and if anyone is debating where to stay, or hold a conference/event then don't hesitate - you won't be disappointed

Room Tip: They don't have a gym or swimming pool however the survey didn't give a Not Applicable optio...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Very many thanks for the review of your recent stay at the Ashbourne Hotel, I will pass on your comments to each of the staff

Also consider these accommodations in or near North Killingholme
Healing Manor Hotel
Healing Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Healing
Hampton by Hilton Humberside Airport

Been to Ashbourne Hotel? Share your experiences!