“Good value - Kind of...”

Best Western Appleby Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Appleby Magna
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Compared to a lot of other Best Westerns in the UK - this one is pretty good. Good location off of the highway. Great lobby area, ok breakfast....i had free internet, don't know if that is normal or not, since they printed up a receipt that said 8 GBP - which i didnt pay. However, the internet was pretty fast and reliable. so I was happy.

Like most hotels in the UK - it is a bit older and nothing special. -but it is clean. I stayed in the main building and was traveling with work friends who stayed in the next building. They could not rest during the late afternoon because their rooms were like saunas (june 2014). No air, facing sun, extremely annoying. Both co-workers had to leave their room and hang out in the lobby because their rooms were so hot. In the evening, the water pipes banged every 10 minutes. One of the coworkers recorded it on his iphone and let reception and management listen to it. It was seriously loud. They apologized, but of course, made no effort to rectify the situation.
I was in the main building, so i didn't experience any of those things.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Deborah M, General Manager at Best Western Appleby Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about BEST WESTERN Appleby Park Hotel and for your comments. By telling us what you liked about your stay and how we can improve, you are helping us deliver a superior experience for you and other guests in the future. We do provide free internet for all our guests here at the hotel. I am sorry that your friends rooms were hot. but as the hotel is U shaped some of the rooms will get the afternoon sun and that particular week the weather was really humid. We did bring an engineer onsite after a guest had made us aware of some noise from certain pipes in their bathroom and this was due to water pressure. Again thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Never received such awful customer service in my life, admittedly the lady on reception who checked us in was lovely and helpful, but when we had to raise issues on the second day with another receptionist her attitude was disgusting she was rude and patronising, even requesting extra pillows was a chore for her.
The room ok basic nothing special, except our bed was broken and the toilet handle came off in my hand. Also beware if booking the west midland safari park break we booked this hotel expecting the safari park to be within the vicinity of the hotel but NO it's AN HOUR AND HALF drive away so don't get stung on that like we did.
I have since raised a few issues via email to the general manager, she couldn't answer a few concerns I raised, I called to speak to her direct she was meant to call me straight back and didn't bother, I get told that a duty manager is on site 24/7 yet when I asked on the 2nd day of my stay to speak to a manager I got told no manager was on site that evening. Customer service is appalling they do not give a S##T about you and they will just fob you off.
Not to mention whilst waiting in the breakfast area the second morning I overheard the receptionists on duty slagging off another customer of the hotel that had had issues the evening before, I was listening in shock!!! not very professional at all.
Overall a basic hotel, but heaven help you if you have any issues or a complaint after because the after care is even worse you will just get fobbed off, I would advise to travel the extra 5-10 minutes and stay in a hotel in tamworth. Safely say I will be not be returning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Klh89
Deborah M, General Manager at Best Western Appleby Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Hello and thank you for your feedback. It is with regret we have received your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I have investigated into your concerns and unfortunately you did state in an email to the Assistant Manager at the hotel after you had left, that you did not have the time to raise these isuues as you were late visiting friends. You also stated that you should have researched into the location and distance to West Midlands Safari Park from the hotel. I am sorry if you felt that the customer service was appalling but the team on duty during your stay, received nothing but praise from numerous guests. I again offer my apologies that you did not enjoy your stay here.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Well I didn't book the hotel direct, it was part of a two day trip with National Holidays, but what a brilliant hotel to have stayed in overnight, really clean and tidy, rooms where great and very spacious, service was excellent, really friendly staff, we had something to eat on the first night which was nice, and breakfast next morning which was once again really nice, overall great value for money.

• Stayed: April 2014

Thank you for writing such positive feedback. I am delighted you found our hotel to the standards we aspire too. Our team take pride in customer service and i will pass on your kind comments to all the team here at BEST WESTERN Appleby Park Hotel.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank Trevor G

Reviewed 29 May 2014

A quiet, no frills basic hotel more equipped for business than families on holiday. Perfectly kept, very clean with very helpful land friendly staff that made the stay a pleasure. Twin rooms with sofa bed are available which made for a better nights sleep on the safari package with my two sons. Food was hit and miss - the right menu choice a pleasure to eat; the wrong one a very big let down. Choose food that has to be cooked fresh and can't be kept warm for hours or reheated badly. Take your own entertainment

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mailk1
Applebypark, General Manager at Best Western Appleby Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted the hotel cleanliness was to your satisfaction. I am sorry that you found some choices of food disapointing and I trust this was rectified once made aware to the manager on duty.

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Purchased a voucher for two nights with breakfast and safari passes. The room was a good size for us, had a huge double bed and a single for my son, it was perfectly decorated and very clean, as was the bathroom. The shower was very powerful I loved it. Breakfast on both days was very nice with lots to choose from and the staff were always friendly. We had a very pleasant stay and will definitely be visiting again. Thank u to all who work there.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Sarah H
Deborah M, General Manager at Best Western Appleby Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a very positive review about BEST WESTERN Appleby Park Hotel. We look forward to seeing you again on your return visit to the hotel.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Whilst working in the area I used this hotel for some months and found it great value for money. The Management are open to deals and it is really refreshing that they want guests and are interested in feedback. The hotel is well situated off the A42 and has a large car park. No charge. The Restaurant is open until 21-00 so excellent for business travellers who always arrive late. Rooms are above average size with good TV's that work together with a work station although not provided with a large number of power points so needed these days with phones, tablets and computers. The bed is great with no lumps and a good night is guaranteed. Most rooms have baths and the water is always hot. Although there are few amenities it ticks the boxes for business. The Restaurant has a limited menu but quality reasonably good although the menu needs to change a little more regularly. Specials too would be a good idea as you can get bored with this limited offer. The wine offering is better suited to a bar than a restaurant as the types on offer are basic at best. Overall very good for the price and the welcome was worthy of the stay in itself. Such a pleasure to see an hotel trying to please its clientele.

Room Tip: Ask for a bath!