Best Western Appleby Park Hotel
Forest Court(Ashby-de-la-Zouch)
Millers Hotel(Nuneaton)
The Gungate(Tamworth)
  • Restaurant
All reviewstwycross zoomc donaldsfree wifiself servicepetrol stationconvenient locationbuffet breakfastcoach triptwo night stayreception areaduty managerroom was clean and comfortableboth morningsstayed here for one nightwowcher dealexcellent stayan evening meal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a deal from living social, two nights bed and breakfast for two adults and a child, plus tickets to West Midlands safari park.

First it's a very long way from the park, more than an hour in clear traffic, my fault I should check these things

Hotel was lively, room clean, we'll presented although small for a family room but served its job.

Staff all very friendly and helpful.

Wifi was great and worked for everything we had.

Breakfast was lots, warm, fresh, recommend.

Grounds were nice and big.

We enjoyed it all despite being miles from the park.

Stayed: July 2014
Deborah M, General Manager at Best Western Appleby Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay here at BEST WESTERN Appleby Park Hotel. The living Social deal was a bargain and proved to be very popular with hundreds of tickets sold. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and again, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

£38 a twin room with breakfast included was a bargain deal.

Twin rooms very small for two people but were clean, included all the usual requirements and tidy. The bathrooms were big enough and had shower/bath combinations – the shower in one room was running when we first entered the room which was a bit weird.

Rooms were very hot, even with the heater off and the window open.

Could not get free WiFi to work on either of our devices.

Breakfast was lovely and the restaurant waiter, who was the barman from the previous evening, was very attentive and provided great customer service

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Deborah M, General Manager at Best Western Appleby Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about BEST WESTERN Appleby Park Hotel. We do pride ourselves with the cleanliness of our hotel and i am sorry that the shower was running when you entered the room. For future reference if you visit us again when you are next in the area, we do provide electrical fans if requested at reception. Regarding the issues you had with the WI-FI, our reception team would have been more than happy to resolve this issue if they had been notified. I am delighted the team served you to the standards we aspire too.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed here as a part of a living social deal where accomodation which was a family room including breakfast for two nights and entry to west midlands safari park was £99. It was excellent value for money. Hotel was clean and tidy. Staff very friendly and helpful. Had problems finding it with Sat Nav though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Deborah M, General Manager at Best Western Appleby Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We do pride ourselves on the cleanliness and our friendly staff. We look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

First, let me preface my observations by saying, in my opinion as a professional travel agent, that far too many of the complaints of ALL hotels on this website are based on expecting luxury service on bargain basement rents. The shortcomings I identify in my review need to be balanced with my overall opinion that it was extremely good value for money.

For the record, I stayed on Friday 27th June and I paid only £34.30 for a standard double room (without breakfast), booking a few weeks in advance. Note: this is a limited promotion - £49 is more typical – but I have found future weekend dates that are also £34.30 (on Booking.com).

It is worth noting that, although this hotel is part of a “chain”, that it is individually owned. Best Western provide marketing and branding to hotels – but you are dealing with the owners, so they should (at least in theory!) be more responsive to suggestions and criticisms than budget hotels where the management are direct employees of a large corporate head office hundreds of miles away.

Location - It is on the edge of the village of Appleby Magna – this sounds like the middle of nowhere but it is only 200 yards from Junctiion 11 of the M42. I chose it because I wanted to visit the military memorials at the National Memorial Arboretum (10 miles). It would also be an economic and peaceful base for a visit to the N E C, Birmingham) – however, the information (supplied by the hotel) on Tripadvisor, and their in-room cards, is incorrect – it is not 14 miles to the N E C, it is 19-20 miles depending on which route you take.

Check-in - Reception was efficient. Another plus for this hotel is generous times: you can officially check-in from 2pm and you need not check-out until 12 noon. Many hotels will not let you in until 3pm and throw you out by 11am.

The room - Mine was 253, upstairs and across the grass “courtyard”. If staying in the Summer, I would ask for an upstairs room so that you can safely leave the window open. The rooms have individual radiators (useful most of the year) but NO air-conditioning. Those staying on the ground floor would have to choose between open windows for ventilation or stuffy closed for night-time security. At least in my room, motorway noise was not an issue – I could have been in the middle of the countryside.

It was clean and equipped above the average standard for a budget hotel. Safety box in the closet, kettle with a modest supply of tea/coffee, a table with two armchairs; modern LCD freeview TV with a perfect picture; bedside telephone. The bed was an excellent size, though the mattress seemed a little tired. Only one spare mains socket (next to the kettle) so bring a double plug if you want to charge more than one phone or you will have to unplug the TV. Even a Room Service menu was available (surcharge £3 for delivery) and a laundry service offering same day dry-cleaning.

The bathroom was smart and with the usual toiletries. However, I found the bath to be both narrower and shallower than typical – if I was slightly more overweight then I might not have found it comfortable. I am not a fan of fixed shower heads (prefer those you can unhook) – the shower was almost touching my head when I stood up (and I am only 5’ 7”).

Wi-fi - All hotels need to understand the “gadget” revolution that has taken place in the last couple of years. Full marks to the Appleby Park for providing free wi-fi within their budget rates (my receipt had a daily wi-fi rate crossed out with a pen, so the decision not to charge may be fairly recent). Signal strength and speed were good enough for me to stream my favourite internet radio station (not always possible in hotels, even those that still charge £10+ per day). However, getting online was slightly cumbersome: you are given a small print-out with a temporary username and password. It was not until I had struggled for 30 minutes that I found out, from Reception, that the code only worked once for EACH gadget. Maybe we are not entirely typical: we had two smartphones and two tablets between us! They soon solved this by printing out more unique codes for us.

Facilities - Large, and free car-park – we had no problem getting within 30 yards of the door. Large, open-plan lobby area with Reception plus bar at the far end, tables and chairs which mainly become a breakfast area in the morning. There was a small area off the lobby called a “business centre” which had a desk with one standard PC on it. I guess these are becoming bypassed by the plethora of lap-tops, tablets and smart phones that people carry these days – but access to a printer is probably useful.

No ice machine (to the best of my knowledge) but the bar staff had no objection to providing me with supplies of ice to take to the room (my wife says I am a “cheapskate!”).

Food - I only inspected the restaurant menu, and did not partake so I cannot usefully comment. It seemed reasonable if limited, and the fact that a restaurant and bar exists is a bonus – some of the similarly priced budget hotels in the UK have neither. The buffet breakfast was being served as I left in the morning – it had the usual 6 or 7 cooked components of the typical English breakfast on “help-yourself” hot plates and the standard selection of cereals, yoghurts etc. From other comments, I am given to understand that sometimes breakfast is provided on an individual “ordered from the kitchen” basis: I guess it will depend on how many of the 95 rooms are occuplied and have pre-ordered breakfast. Breakfast would have been £7.50, which strikes me as reasonable for a hotel.

Across the road, there is a Shell petrol station with the usual small grocery /snack selection. More importantly, it has a McDonalds and I was able to avail myself of a modest breakfast for £3.49. On reflection, I should have forked out the extra £4 in the hotel for the unlimited buffet! However, a McDonalds is a useful bonus for those travelling with kids.

Two miles away, at Measham, is a lovely Chinese Restaurant called Link Measham Cantonese. I won’t review it, as you can find over 40 reviews elsewhere on Tripadvisor. That it is rated, on here, as 2nd out of 51 restaurants in the Swadlingcote area speaks for itself. We had an excellent meal with a friendly and amusing host (not always a feature in Chinese Restaurants). IF you are planning to go in August 2014, check first – the Malaysian owner is going “home” for 4 weeks holiday.

Summary - Good value for money. My main gripe was the noise. Random bursts of muted banging in the middle of the night – it sounded like a hyper-active child was playing hopscotch in the room above my head. I was a little disappointed that the managers were well aware of this phenomenon and had engineers trying to trace it for some time, without complete success (it is mentioned in other reviews as being a problem at least two weeks before my arrival). Given that the hotel was not full (I checked online in the morning before setting off and could have booked at least 10 rooms) I do feel that they could have made more effort to allocate rooms away from the noise, even if it meant giving a free upgrade. BUT – I would definitely come back and stay here the next time I am in the area, and would recommend it to anyone else.

Mike@copta.co.uk

Room Tip: If it is a hot Summer day/night, avoid ground floor as you will be vulnerable opening the window at night (there is no air-con or fan), avoid sunny, South-facing rooms. Check that the pipe noise problem has been solved (June 2014) and ask to avoid the affected rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank organiser_25years
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel is very conveniently located and lots of parking. Meals were ok but starters are over priced. Steak bang on. Reception staff really good and welcoming but felt bar staff were bit slow to respond. Rooms ok but tired and as long as prices kept say below 70 a night thens it's ok.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Deborah M, General Manager at Best Western Appleby Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about our hotel. I am sorry that the restaurant team was not as responsive or welcoming as the receptionist on duty. I take on board your comments about the bedrooms being tired. We have just completed the first phase of our planned refurbishment of bedrooms and are soon to start the second. We look forward to be able to welcome you back when you are next in the area.