My wife and baby son headed down to deepest Kent for a friend's surprise 90th birthday party so needed a place to stay for the night. One tends to build up an expectation for the Holiday Inn Express/Travelodge type of experience but we were pleasantly surprised with, above all, the customer service we received.
We understood from Trip Advisor the rooms to ask for, so I phoned and booked a room at the back of the hotel, worth doing. My wife ruptured an ankle ligament a week or two before the trip, so on the day before departure, I phoned again and asked for the room at the back also to be the shortest distance to reception. No problem, they gave us the closest room possible to the front door, but behind double doors so no noise spill from the reception or restaurant.
Our bedroom overlooked fields at the back of the hotel, as opposed to the A299 and Kent International airport at the front, surely the quietest airport we've ever come across! In our single night stay at the hotel, we heard and saw no 'planes at all! Don't expect too much from the view of fields at the back, it's hardly Garden of England idyllic, although I've seen worse. The bed was firm and comfortable, the room had all of the basics, with a shower only room and space saving door which either closed off the toilet or the bathroom.
The restaurant is in the listed part of the hotel, a circular art deco room with plenty of windows, the breakfast bars in the middle and the tables around the outside. You wish they'd made a little more of the design; some art deco light shades or fixtures would make a budget hotel feel a little more thought out, a little more up market. Don't expect too much from the self serve breakfast, our advice would be too get down early while it's freshest and the baying crowd's still in bed.
Half way home, we realised we'd left our son's pillow in our room so we rang back. No problem once again. They posted it the next day and put a note in the box with the pillow to say they hadn't charged me anything, despite my offer to pay postage and packing. Now it's a small thing, and maybe a sign of how much lower everyone's expectations of service have dipped, but that's what I call service.
We'd stay here again if we were to return to Minster as the pricing is very reasonable and the hotel basic, clean and comfortable and the staff are friendly and very helpful, if only the breakfast was nicer. Overall, excellent value.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- East Kent's Award winning Hotel. Serving Thanet with 105 contemporary en-suite bedrooms, 3 conference suites and Bar and Restaurant. Located on the site of the Prospect Inn featured in many WWII films. The Place to "Meet, Eat and Sleep" in 2011. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express, Ramsgate - Minster reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express, Ramsgate - Minster Hotel Ramsgate
- Holiday Inn Ramsgate
- Ramsgate Holiday Inn Express
- Holiday Inn Express, Ramsgate - Minster Kent