“Superb stay at Chilston Park”

Chilston Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lenham
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a one night stay at Chilston Park after taking up a promotional offer through their website,and we really had a relaxed and enjoyable stay again.We had been booked into the 'Oriental Room' in the main building and loved the themed decor and the comfort of the King sized bed.We dined in the 'Culpeper restaurant' and decided to choose our main meal from the a la Carte menu, which was discounted. There is an extensive and comprehensive wine selection but the majority of bottles were in my opinion very expensive, so we opted for a glass each of Merlot. We also avoided bottled water as the jug of iced 'tap' water was just as good.
Breakfast was good.....buffet style in the Restaurant,with the hot choice served at your table.
We have really enjoyed our previous stays at Chilston and fully recommend it to anyone wanting a relaxed stay with fine food and drinks.
As usual all the staff we met were welcoming,polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Check on the hotels website to check for promotional offers before booking.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
ManagerRHI, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your experience with us here at Chilston Park. I am delighted to read that a high standard of accommodation and a service team dedicated to ensuring the enjoyment of your stay were evident throughout your time with us.

The Oriental Room that you mentioned is one of my own personal favourites and we have many guests comment on the luxury and ambiance that that it delivers. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your night spent in this room.

It was also pleasing to read that both your evening and breakfast dining experiences in our restaurant matched your expectations and that the cuisine offered met with your approval.

It is true that our wine list is extensive and features many exclusive wines that have been carefully chosen so that there quality matches both the superb surroundings of the house and the level of cuisine offered. We do feel that we offer good value for money when this quality of wine is served. As you have mentioned we do have an extensive wines by the glass menu for guests to choose from that offers quality wines as well.

Once again thank you for your review and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Chilston Park in the near future.

Gareth Davies

Write a ReviewReviews (1,005)

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Tbis hotel is ideal I you like stately home style as full of charm antiques and class.
The lunches are very good value and peaceful so ideal for a business or social lunch without breaking the budget.
I have just attended an excellent event there with three opera singers ad a fabulous evening meal plus a special rate vernight stay in one of the antique style bedrooms .
Many weddings use this venue over the weekends so I tend to prefer either weekdays or Sunday nights.
It's down country lanes so aim for Lenham which is the nearest village .

Room Tip: Try to get as room in the main house as very well laid out plus quiet
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
ManagerRHI, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your review on Trip Advisor and thank you for your kind words. The Opera evening that we recently hosted here at the hotel was huge success and we look forward to holding more evenings of this ilk in the near future.

Whilst we do host a number of weddings throughout the year, we understand the experience that leisure travellers wish to have and are confident that we have the team and property to deliver the level of relaxation and service required to all guests.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel and very much look forward to welcoming you back to Chilston Park sometime soon.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

My daughter got married here last year. While she and my new son-in-law had a fantastic day we had a number of issues with the hotel management and as a part of a compensation package for the inconvenience caused she was offered one night's overnight accomodation and we were offered dinner. During my discussions with the General Manager I pointed out the varoius shortcomings of the service and the rather tatty appeance in general of the hotel and he claimed to take on board my constructive feedback. The rationale for offering me dinner was for the hotel to demonstrate the level of service that they were apparently capable of.

We took up the offer last week and I'm sorry to say that things have not improved. If anything things seem to have deteriorated.True it was a Friday in April but the hotel appeared deserted , I suspect there were not more than half a dozen rooms occupied. The decor of the hotel is shabby and as other reviewers have commented it needs serious money spent on it. Frayed worn out carpets struct down with carpet tape, and chipped paintwork. look for the nasty brown stain on the ceiling of the marbled room (the lounge). My daughter said that the room , although clean looked similarly tired.

The Culpeper restaurant is an elegant room but the food does not match the ambience. The table d'hote menu at £36 is rstricted to three choices for each course and if you don't like fish or offal then you are forced either to the a la carte menu (at a considerable supplement) or the veggie option. Service was polite but rather slow considering how quiet the restaurant was.

If you wish to drink my advice is to visit one of the local pubs first. The White Horse at Sandway is within walking distance or the Dog and Bear in Lenham is a beautiful pub. The price of drinks is excessive and at prices which while might be acceptable in a 4/5 star establishment in Central London are not so in the middle of Kent. There is nothing on the restaurant wine list under £26 and £5.50 for a bottle of water is in my view extortionate. Ask for tap water - the local tap water is very good - although I would not be suprised if they charged for that!

This hotel is just not worth the prices they are trying to charge. It is a beautiful building but the maintenance is poor . The location is beautiful although there is a lot of motorway noise and the High Speed rail link runs close by and is probably visible upstairs!

They appear to be mainly dependent on wedding parties and as a wedding venue is is good - it could be great with a little more attention to detail.

It's a shame really. With a moderate investment and sharper management it could be a wonderful country hotel. As such at the moment it can only be described as mediocre. If I won the lottery next week I'd make the owners an offer because it could be wonderful. It certainly doesn't merit 4 AA stars - even if they are only red ones!

Room Tip: All the rooms are of a decent size and attactive but for heaven sake your only sleeping in the place...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank mediclondon
ManagerRHI, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. Please accept my most sincere apologies on behalf of the team here at Chilston Park for the experience and disappointments that you have described. The service and quality issues that have been mentioned are inexcusable and for that we have much regret.

Having taken over as the General Manager here at the hotel this week your comments will allow me to understand the aspects of customer service and attention to detail that need focusing upon to ensure complete guest satisfaction is delivered through out the hotel.

Once again I thank you for your honest and genuine feedback and I hope that given time you will choose to revisit the hotel and witness the progress that I am sure we will make in the coming months.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

We have stayed at this Hotel now about six times and it is now in major need of some money being spent the carpets are thread bare in a lot of the public areas and what used to be shabby chic is now just shabby!! The room we stayed in Evelyn was a lovely size but again the furniture looked very tired which is a shame. The first time we stayed here it was truly magical candles in the dining room which is now the lounge. We were how ever very pleased to see Marc there on our second night he was there for our very first visit (I understand he is only there for a short period) He really made our evening and the other guests that he dealt with feel very special something that was very much lacking in the dining room the evening before! Lets hope some of his enthusiasm will rub off on the other staff.

Dear Guest
Thank you for posting your comments relating to your stay here at Chilston Park. Having taken over as the General Manager here at the hotel earlier this week I can only offer my most sincere apologies for what has gone before and add my assurances that there is a great desire to lead the hotel in a positive direction and improve in all aspects of customer service offered.

Your kind words relating to the passion shown by Marc during your stay are welcome and the hard work that he has put in during his short time at Chilston have indeed begun to rub off on others within the team.

Only today we have conducted a detailed walk around of the hotel with the aim of identify specific areas of improvement that can be made to improve the presentation of the property. It is this forward thinking and proactive approach to the development of Chilston Park that I am to deliver with the help of the team here at the hotel.

Once again thank you for your comments and the opportunity to understand where improvements can be made from a guest’s point of view.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We attended a family wedding at the Chilston Park Hotel and were very impressed with the quality of the arrangements, food and service. The Carousel room which we stayed in overnight was excellent with a wonderful view of the lake. This is a high quality hotel with prices to match and we would certainly recommend it as a wedding venue.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
ManagerRHI, Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2012

Thank you for review!
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent visit to the hotel on the occasion of attending a family wedding. Chilston certainly is a terrific venue to hold such an event. The Carousal room certainly does have a wonderful view over our lake and grounds, as do many of our rooms.

I very much look forward to welcoming back to the hotel in the future and once again many thanks for the kind comments.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We have just got back from a nights stay here and feel very disappointed. The hotel itself, our room and the food were good BUT the service really is not and people don't seem to know what they are doing. We ordered a bottle of £26 white wine (alcohol prices are expensive!) and it was at room temperature as it had not been chilled, the wait for your meal (or to even get your order taken is way too long), and the attention to detail service wise is poor. Add to this rowdy functions that go on until the early hours and paper thin walls that have you up by 5.45 and it isn't the relaxing stay you think it is going to be. Such a nice building but as others have said they don't really know who their client base is and only care about getting weddings or other functions dealt with. Shame.

1  Thank michelle c

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to record your experience on Trip Advisor. Having only just joined the team here at Chilston Park as General Manager I would like to offer my apologies for the experience that you described.

Your honest feedback will help me to evaluate the areas of customer care that need addressing and for this assistance I am very grateful.

I hope that on a future date you will have the opportunity to revisit the hotel and we will be able to impress upon you the changes and progress that your comments will allow us to make.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Loved almost everything about the hotel. The setting, luxury rooms and the staff around the hotel. The restaurant was another story though. We were really looking forward to dinner on both nights but cancelled the second one after such a poor standard of service. The manager insisted on chatting to us with his arms folded for one thing and there seemed to be no one ever in the actual restaurant to ask for something.

Stay in the hotel but eat elsewhere. There are plenty of places with lovely food and service in the surrounding area.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard A
ChilstonParkHotel, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear Guest,
thank you very much for your review and for your nice comments towards the hotel, staff and settings. I am sorry that the service in the restaurant was not to our usual high standard and at the level of quality our restaurant is usually rated.
I hope we can welcome you back soon to the Chilston Park Hotel!
Best wishes,
Peter Zielke

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenham
Eastwell Manor
#2 of 3 in Lenham
The Black Horse Inn
The Black Horse Inn
#1 of 1 in Thurnham

Been to Chilston Park Hotel? Share your experiences!