“Blissful wedding venue!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lenham
London
“Blissful wedding venue!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Our friends organised their wedding at Chilsten Park on a Friday and we stayed over night. They did a fabulous job, it was a great day. The hotel has wonderful surroundings and lovely rooms and very helpful staff. Be warned some rooms are a bit poky, low ceilings, but still charming. Just check what you're getting before you book - we stayed in the Austin room which was lovely.
Only down side would be that drinks are very expensive (matched London prices) ...but when at a wedding you don't realise till you sign the bill at the end of your visit. That con however would not put us off going back again.

Room Tip: The Austin is a good size, nice large bathroom.
1 Thank Venetiar
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for recording your recent visit to Chilston Park on Trip advisor. I am really pleased that you enjoyed the wedding celebrations so much.
I am really pleased that you enjoyed our Austin room, this has recently undergone a small refresh delivered by Eddie our Maintenance Manager and his team. Its great to read that this work has ensured the comfort of your stay. Being a historic building some of our rooms are quirky and throw up some interesting spaces, but in turn this generates some of the charm of the building and is generally received well by our guests.
I am pleased to read that you would look to return to the hotel again and very much look forward to welcoming you back.
Gareth Davies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

Our stay was a disaster from start to finish. We have nicknamed this place "Fawlty Towers Plus". For our troubles, all we got was our meal on the Friday evening for free which, considering it took them 3 hours, is the least they could have done. Specifically:

- We were given a room in the attic (Boswell) which is tiny (not much bigger than the double bed within it) and has a tiny cupboard to put clothes into - in the bathroom. The worst is it's much hotter than the rest of the hotel (you can feel the temperature rise as you ascend the stairs). The window opens onto a rooftop view with constant noise from the kitchen extractors and other people's attic room windows looking right at you. It was far too hot to sleep in so we complained and were given a monstrous portable air conditioning unit which sounded like a tractor and occupied the remaining tiny space between our bed and the window.

- Dinner on the first night took almost 3 hours. We waited an hour for our starters to arrive after ordering. The dining room was only half full so the kitchen wasn't even working to capacity. The food was nothing to write home about anyway, but the long delays meant it was nearly midnight before we finished dessert, so there was no chance of a relaxing coffee afterwards. After a day of travelling to get there, it was very frustrating. People dining at tables beside us also complained to the waiting staff about the extraordinary length of time it took to be served. The waiting staff were very apologetic about it but obviously the Chef can only churn out one plate every 15 minutes or so, and there was nothing they could do about it.

- Breakfast on both days was a very slow affair. Ordering the cooked breakfast (avoid at all costs - undercooked bacon, overcooked rubbery egg with solid yolk, over-boiled beans....) meant I had to wait 30 minutes to get my food on the first day, and a similar time on the second. Ordering my toast to go with breakfast and asking for white only when prompted, I then had to ask again as I finished my long awaited cooked breakfast as it hadn't been brought out yet. Then, when it arrived, it was brown toast, not the white I ordered. On the second day it was a similar story, except two tables who had arrived and ordered after us were served their breakfast before us (and it was the same as I had ordered too!). Any time we asked the staff a question or prompted them for our order, they were very confused and would usually just walk away and ignore us. After 40 minutes of waiting, we had to give up and go to our room to pack as we had an appointment to make on our way home and were running late. 40 minutes to wait for breakfast to be served? Who knows when it would have eventually arrived.

- The shower was broken. No matter what temperature we tried to set it at, it stayed the same very hot temperature. We complained about this on the Saturday morning but nothing was done about it (although they did acknowledge that it was broken). We came home from our wedding do after midnight to find a note on our bed saying we should contact reception to discuss the problem - not handy when reception is shut. I was then informed before checking out on the Sunday that I could have had a shower elsewhere if I wanted. They should have told us this straight away! So this meant that, not only did we check out on the Sunday morning very hungry due to lack of breakfast, but I hadn't been able to have a shower before the long travel back home to Scotland.

- The sink didn't hold it's water even when the plug was jammed in as hard as I could make it go. I had to shave with the tap on full to try to maintain a small amount of water in the sink. The sink also has a big crack in it, adding to the general shabbiness of the room.

I'm sure there was much more, but we gave up trying to remember it all and instead focussed on the wedding we had come down for, which was a lovely distraction and thankfully elsewhere.

In summary - do NOT eat there unless you are graced with bountiful patience, do NOT accept the Boswell room or any of it's counterparts in the attic space and, if you have a choice, please please stay elsewhere. For all our problems and the stress of travelling home hungry and without a refreshing shower on the last day, all we got was dinner refunded. The room itself was not worth the fee we paid and the general attitude of the place meant they don't deserve the custom anyway.

Room Tip: Avoid any of the attic rooms, especially Boswell
2 Thank IslandFan_2008
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip advisor. Naturally I am disappointed that on this occasion your stay did not meet either your own expectations or those that we set for ourselves here at the hotel. I am fully aware that your stay was unfortunately effected by service delivery issues and am of course apologetic for these issues. These service related issues were discussed with Victoria our Duty Manager on your departure from the hotel on Sunday morning and the apologies I offer are added to those made at this time. I am also aware that a gesture of compensation was offered to you by Victoria and accepted by yourself. I believe that this highlights that we have indeed recognised that our normal level of service was not delivered and compensated you for this.

In addition I am also regret full that this long period of fine summer weather led to the room allocated to you being warm. As you have mentioned when requested a portable air conditioning unit was supplied to you. I agree that these units are large, but they are also effective and do deliver the required result of cooling the room.

When made aware of the issues relating to the shower in our Boswell room by yourself on Saturday morning a plumber was called to the hotel to attempt to address the situation. Unfortunately as this was a weekend call out the required parts that were not readily available, hence the note left in your room asking you to contact reception. Our Reception is staffed 24hrs per day and can be contacted via telephone at any time. The team at reception were ready to provide you with an alternative room that had been put aside for your use. Additionally they were more than happy to assist with the move of your luggage as required. Unfortunately as you mentioned during your conversation with Victoria you didn't choose to contact reception on your late return to the hotel after attending the wedding celebrations mentioned in your review. I recognise and fully understand that aspects of your stay did not deliver the standards that we wish to be associated with, but I do believe that the team at the hotel did their very best to resolve the issues that you brought forward during your stay. I am sorry that you have viewed these actions as uncaring and that your stay was effected in these ways.
Regards
Sussex, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I booked the Orangery for a private event to celebrate my 40th Birthday. Everything about Chilston park was wonderful. We found the staff very attentive, Kerrin and his team during the evening did a great job at looking after all my guests and everything ran smoothly.
The food was superb and I can honestly say that it was a perfect evening. All of my guests have said how much the enjoyed the night and how great the staff were.
The hotel is in beautiful grounds and each room has it's only unique character.
An ideal place to celebrate a special occasion!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for this lovely review, I am really pleased that your event was so successful and that you and your guests had a wonderful time. I will certainly ensure that Kerrin and his team are made aware of your very positive comments.
I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.
warwickshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

My fiancé and I stayed here on a dinner, bed and breakfast offer. The drive up to the hotel was lovely, we booked in at reception by very nice friendly staff, although our room wasn't ready we where happy to have a walk round the beautiful grounds and enjoyed a pimms sat by the lake.
We were then showed to our room Bloomsbury, which was very nice and had everything you wanted. The hotel was beautiful, full of history.we enjoyed a light lunch in the beautiful bar, all staff were very nice and friendly.
We then had a leisurely afternoon then we got dressed for dinner, we met in the lounge where we had champagne and canapés, we then had dinner, the food and service was excellent ! We then had coffee in the lounge. The following morning we had a lovey breakfast, anything you wanted, nothing to much trouble, and excellent quality. The only down fall was, late in the evening and early morning we where woken up to really loud banging, and truck deliveries, I know this needs to happen but the noise woke us up so we had a disturbed night.

Dear Guest
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Chilston Park and am equally pleased that you have chosen to record a review on Tripadvisor. Thank you for your kind comments regarding so many aspects of the property, it is wonderful to read that your expectations were met. I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from required access. This is something that has been mentioned to us on several occasions recently. I write this I can see Mark, one of our maintenance team busy installing a new access restriction post to ensure that vehicles cannot access the area that you have mentioned. I do hope that this improves the situation for all of our guests.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

My husband and I had a lovely time at Chilston Park (despite my recently broken arm!). The surroundings are exceptional and with the weather being unusually summer-like, we strolled round and then settled by the lake. Our room (Austen) was comfortable and clean - we didn't spend much time in there as it was really relaxing in the huge lounge. We had booked an evening meal and this was another great part of our stay. Pre-dinner drinks and canapes were followed by an excellent meal served in a friendly and opulent restaurant. Breakfast next morning didn't disappoint - eggs benedict was cooked to perfection and the view through the window was magnificent. Finally, we must commend the staff who were efficient but more importantly friendly and helpful. Our next visit will not be for just one night.

1 Thank Patsy2652
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us on route to the continent. Chilston Park is ideally situated for a stopover on this long journey and I am glad that we were able to send you on your way relaxed and ready to enjoy your holiday.
Coventry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Beautiful surroundings, tastefully decorated room, friendly, welcoming, polite, professional staff - room service scrummy - a delightful stay. The breakfast was delicious, although unfortunately the waiter got the order wrong. However he was so polite I didn't want to point out this error. One small point - the chef does not know how to make scrambled egg. It was like small rubber bullets and was almost inedible which was a great shame as the rest of the breakfast was excellent. Really enjoyed my stay - will be back. A great find and highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagerCPH, General Manager at Chilston Park Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear Guest
Firstly may I thank you for placing this review of your recent stay with us at Chilston Park. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your short break and that the customer service offered met your expectations. This is really wonderful to read. However I am of course apologetic that your breakfast experience was somewhat under par. I will of course discuss your comment with both my restaurant manager and head chef to ensure that the areas that you have mentioned are looked into and resolved.
I do hope that you visit us again when next in Kent.
kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is my second time of staying here, and I will defiantly stay again. The first stay was fir a criends wedding. we stayed in the main hotel in the carasole room, the second visit i had a suite in the grounds, the suite was very roomy with 2 bathrooms and a lounge, but very noisy as we could hear the people in the room above us. So next time I old stay in the main hotel. We ate in the resturant and it was lovely setting and lovely food.
I think the best thing about this hotel is the staff they are o polite and friendly. See you soon!

Room Tip: Carasole room is my recommendation
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest
I am delighted that you enjoyed your most recent stay with us, it is wonderful to read that you have chosen to return to the hotel and will do again in the future. Please accept my apologies for the noise disturbance that you experienced within our Mews bedrooms. I am aware of the issue and since joining the hotel have been working with the team to address these issues. We have completed stage one of the work with noise cancelling underlay and boarding being laid. This has improved the situation considerably. Stage two of the work is due to commence shortly with additional noise cancelling insulation and false ceilings being installed in the two effected rooms. This will I am sure resolved the issue for the comfort of all of our future guests.
Once again thank you for your review and I hope to see you at the hotel again in the future.
Gareth Davies
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenham
Eastwell Manor
Tudor Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Port Lympne Hotel
Port Lympne Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lympne

Been to Chilston Park Hotel? Share your experiences!